Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
RE: Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism
(10-08-2015 04:39 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm a pacifist.

Yet I have a confession to make.

I'd like to smash Joseph Smith's face in. He was such an ignorant, sanctimonious worthless cunt of a human being. A manipulative, lying, selfish little asshole.

If I've been too nice to him, please tell me. I am a conservative, unemotional sort of guy, after all.

Ah...that's better.

Thankfully after his little multi-state crime spree scamming folks out of money, he was in jail for more charges, when a mob of over 200 men attacked the jail and unceremoniously executed him and his brother by gunfire....good riddance. One less scamming, delusional piece of shit in the world.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-08-2015, 06:59 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread. I've been a member for a while but haven't participated until now. Just wanted to thank good ol' Joseph Smith and the LDS church. Studying Mormonism is what put me on the road to becoming an atheist. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian home and was pretty indoctrinated by my teen years, though my interest in science and critical thinking (or thinking in general) put me at odds with many a pastor. I just asked too many questions.
I met a former Mormon who introduced me to literature from Ex Mormons for Jesus, and as some teens will, I threw myself into an all out study of Mormonism. I devoured everything I could get my hands on. The LDS faith was the first religion other than Christianity that I would study, and I was particularly intrigued by the process of creating an entire religion from scratch. Even as a 15 year old I could see the gaping holes in the story. It was so OBVIOUSLY created by man, and not a smart one.
But something happened then- I started viewing my own faith with a different lens, and turning my mind to studying the contradictions and inconsistencies within the Bible. I think I started off hoping to affirm my beliefs, but the deeper I delved, the more I began to see the Abrahamic faiths as merely the Mormons of their time. By the time I was 17, I jettisoned all religion and embraced atheism. It cost me most of my family and many friends, but I wouldn't trade my knowledge for ignorance any day.
So, thanks, Joe. You're bullshit taught me how to recognize the stink of it in my own beliefs. Somewhere, on planet JS, I'm sure he and his wives and spirit babies are sad that learning about Mormonism turned one kid into an atheist. But then they're probably just going back to fucking...
[+] 12 users Like Tanus Barbarus's post
10-08-2015, 07:20 PM
(10-08-2015 06:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  

I'd like to smash Joseph Smith's face in. He was such an ignorant, sanctimonious worthless cunt of a human being. A manipulative, lying, selfish little asshole.

If I've been too nice to him, please tell me. I am a conservative, unemotional sort of guy, after all.

Ah...that's better.

Hmm, I guess you knew him very well. Thumbsup

I obviously know him better than youThumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-08-2015, 07:52 PM
(10-08-2015 06:59 PM)Tanus Barbarus Wrote:  I enjoyed reading this thread. I've been a member for a while but haven't participated until now. Just wanted to thank good ol' Joseph Smith and the LDS church. Studying Mormonism is what put me on the road to becoming an atheist. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian home and was pretty indoctrinated by my teen years, though my interest in science and critical thinking (or thinking in general) put me at odds with many a pastor. I just asked too many questions.
I met a former Mormon who introduced me to literature from Ex Mormons for Jesus, and as some teens will, I threw myself into an all out study of Mormonism. I devoured everything I could get my hands on. The LDS faith was the first religion other than Christianity that I would study, and I was particularly intrigued by the process of creating an entire religion from scratch. Even as a 15 year old I could see the gaping holes in the story. It was so OBVIOUSLY created by man, and not a smart one.
But something happened then- I started viewing my own faith with a different lens, and turning my mind to studying the contradictions and inconsistencies within the Bible. I think I started off hoping to affirm my beliefs, but the deeper I delved, the more I began to see the Abrahamic faiths as merely the Mormons of their time. By the time I was 17, I jettisoned all religion and embraced atheism. It cost me most of my family and many friends, but I wouldn't trade my knowledge for ignorance any day.
So, thanks, Joe. You're bullshit taught me how to recognize the stink of it in my own beliefs. Somewhere, on planet JS, I'm sure he and his wives and spirit babies are sad that learning about Mormonism turned one kid into an atheist. But then they're probably just going back to fucking...

That is almost word-for-word how I became an atheist, except it was my own church that taught me how to "disprove" all the other faiths (because, of course, if all the other faiths were wrong, then Southern Baptists MUST be right, right?), including the ridiculousness of Mormonism. I even deliberately made friends with a Mormon family in town, to hear their side of things, in case their faith wasn't as crazy as my apologetics classes were making it sound. (Yep, it really was!) In particular, they (we Baptists) disliked "Christian cults", beginning with the Catholics (not really Christian, they claimed, because of "worshiping Mary and the saints", a misleading claim) and ending with Mormons and J's Witnesses.

In my case, when an evangelical preacher came and spoke about evolution and astrophysics, and how they MUST be false or else there was no point in Jesus, and I caught him in lies about what science claimed (I knew just enough to detect the lies, but was still a Creationist, myself), I determined to find out more about science, and started looking critically at my old faith. Left the faith and my family home at 17... was an atheist with a biology degree by 22. Funny how things work out. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-08-2015, 08:03 PM
(10-08-2015 07:20 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  Hmm, I guess you knew him very well. Thumbsup

I obviously know him better than youThumbsup

Sure, you do. You were drinking some coffee and smoked some pipes together.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
10-08-2015, 08:48 PM
(10-08-2015 08:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 07:20 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I obviously know him better than youThumbsup

Sure, you do. You were drinking some coffee and smoked some pipes together.

If you would like to make a comment about this, won't you just say it directly? I've been honest enough to say what I think, how about you do the same.
10-08-2015, 08:56 PM
(10-08-2015 07:52 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:59 PM)Tanus Barbarus Wrote:  I enjoyed reading this thread. I've been a member for a while but haven't participated until now. Just wanted to thank good ol' Joseph Smith and the LDS church. Studying Mormonism is what put me on the road to becoming an atheist. I was raised in an Evangelical Christian home and was pretty indoctrinated by my teen years, though my interest in science and critical thinking (or thinking in general) put me at odds with many a pastor. I just asked too many questions.

That is almost word-for-word how I became an atheist, except it was my own church that taught me how to "disprove" all the other faiths (because, of course, if all the other faiths were wrong, then Southern Baptists MUST be right, right?), including the ridiculousness of Mormonism. I even deliberately made friends with a Mormon family in town, to hear their side of things, in case their faith wasn't as crazy as my apologetics classes were making it sound. (Yep, it really was!) In particular, they (we Baptists) disliked "Christian cults", beginning with the Catholics (not really Christian, they claimed, because of "worshiping Mary and the saints", a misleading claim) and ending with Mormons and J's Witnesses.

In my case, when an evangelical preacher came and spoke about evolution and astrophysics, and how they MUST be false or else there was no point in Jesus, and I caught him in lies about what science claimed (I knew just enough to detect the lies, but was still a Creationist, myself), I determined to find out more about science, and started looking critically at my old faith. Left the faith and my family home at 17... was an atheist with a biology degree by 22. Funny how things work out. Tongue

At one point I actually invited missionaries to my house under the guise of wanting to learn more about the LDS Church, but in reality to try and convert them. It was like shooting fish in a barrel because I had a copy of the training manual scripts that they use for every question or situation, so I knew how to back them into corners and show them fallacies in their beliefs, but it never really worked to convert them. Who knows? Maybe they both became atheists and own a pot dispensary in Colorado now! I can only hope for their sake.
[+] 7 users Like Tanus Barbarus's post
10-08-2015, 10:52 PM

Ah...that's better.

But he sure did well with the ladies. You gotta give him that. Dum dum dum dum dum!!!

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
12-08-2015, 03:52 AM
(10-08-2015 10:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Ah...that's better.

But he sure did well with the ladies. You gotta give him that. Dum dum dum dum dum!!!

yeah but....maybe i'm getting old...i'm not impressed by someone who beds a lot of girls....it maybe fun for them...but it don't do much for anyone else...quite the opposite...the words "pretentious tosser" spring to mind re Joe
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
17-08-2015, 11:21 AM
(12-08-2015 03:52 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 10:52 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  But he sure did well with the ladies. You gotta give him that. Dum dum dum dum dum!!!

yeah but....maybe i'm getting old...i'm not impressed by someone who beds a lot of girls....it maybe fun for them...but it don't do much for anyone else...quite the opposite...the words "pretentious tosser" spring to mind re Joe

I agree Mark, he was just one of a long line of power hungry delusional dipshits that found a group of people gullible enough to buy into his made up woo, and then exploited it for everything he could.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)