Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
15-09-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism
I must admit that I have never seen such a such a concentration of hate mongering back patters in my life. Hopefully those new here with a secular belief are run off by this grand negativity. Its alright to be secular and believe in only the material but the bees so prejudice to others who are actually kind just because they don't believe what you believe is really f***** up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2015, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 06:24 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(15-09-2015 04:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 04:38 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Care to provide examples?

You would have to be able to show that these were things you could not have known, or heard, or have seen, or even imagined to even begin to be considered possible evidence of something. Even then, it wouldn't be evidence of a god but only that something unusual happened. The fact that you convinced yourself of some sort of supernatural connection is as irrelevant as it is unwarranted.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... you really sound like you are seriously deluded and need professional help. You should get some.
What would be the point of me showing any of this to you if you're just going to discredit it beforehand? I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well before hand and waste both your time and mine. I can actually take pictures of the booklet that I'm talking about and post it here if you like I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well beforehand and waste both my time and yours.

Sigh

Pops.....pops....personal experience huh? Define experience.....define hallucination...define how 5 eyewitnesses of the same event can all describe it differently....perspective is everything pops. If you look hard and long enough for something, even subsconsciously, you will eventually find it, whether it exists or not...like bigfoot, UFOs, ghosts...jesus.

When it comes to argument from personal experience, I understand how this happens....lets say poor aunt phyllis is in the hospital, and the docs say it doesnt look good, so the family gathers and urgent prayers are made...suddenly the next morning aunt phyllis makes a turn for the better, to the family, this is proof of god's intervention, and answer to their prayers...no, actually it is chance and coincidence, but there is no way in the world you will be able to convince the family otherwise...they had a personal experience of god's power.....

or how about a man...who his whole life has been seeking the answer to life...why am I here, is there a god....fighting the inner doubt....wondering...praying.....rejecting...then one day he is out hiking in the woods...being one with nature, and while looking at a beautiful natural waterfall he trips over a root, falls down and hits his head and is knocked unconscious....he awakens and opens his eyes...and the angle is just right with the sun hitting the mist of the waterfall...and he sees a rainbow...suddenly he is overwhelmed with the beauty of it all and begins to cry....wrenching tears....a feeling of euphoria overcomes him..he sits up and begins to contemplate this experience, and it dawns on him...god has reached out to him...and touched his soul...he gasps, yes, it IS true...god is great, the love of jesus fills his lungs with air, he is suddenly full of energy and joy...his life has purpose...he is suddenly invigorated, ready to strike out and learn more about god...he wasn't even looking and god reached out to him...

Now, realize psychologically, what this man experienced can be explained to great detail....repressed feelings, emotions, wonderment, overwhelmed with a visual experience with a physical experience...he hasn't experienced "god".....a mythical god didnt reach down and choose him out of the 7 billion people on earth and give him an experience so he could know him....he gave himself the experience....the neurons fired and he is convinced he had a "personal experience of god"...no, he had an personal experience...and being unable to describe it or explain it he provided himself the answer......god.

Now rethink your "personal experience"....really think it through..... I can paint dozens of analogies......usually around a self derived experience, or witness to a miracle....which is just a person providing himself/herself the answer that subconsciously they were trying to legitimize to themselves anyway. Sort of like...a self fulfilled prophesy Smile

I had a good friend who survived a IED explosion, everyone in the HUMVEE but him and one other guy died...he was "non-religious" and the other guy was a christian, and they convinced themselves god must have intervened on their behalf because he had "big plans for them"....I think it was partly his way to explain away to himself why the other 4 men died, and he and one other survived. he became a christian, and I was never able to convince him otherwise as he had "a personal experience of a miracle"...he would go on and on that if he had been sitting 2 feet more to the right he would have been dead, but something made him sit where he sat, and that something MUST have been god.....personal experience. I guess god had a different plan for the other 4 guys...they got a distinctly different "personal experience"... Rolleyes

Think pops...let go of your fear...it is okay to be scared of death, and what may come after...but no need to answer that fear with fabricated fairy tales about santa claus and the good ship jesus coming to rescue you.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-09-2015, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 05:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-09-2015 05:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I must admit that I have never seen such a such a concentration of hate mongering back patters in my life. Hopefully those new here with a secular belief are run off by this grand negativity. Its alright to be secular and believe in only the material but the bees so prejudice to others who are actually kind just because they don't believe what you believe is really f***** up.

Secularism does not imply materialism. There are secular idealists. They are independent unrelated concepts.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-09-2015, 05:57 PM
(15-09-2015 04:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What would be the point of me showing any of this to you if you're just going to discredit it beforehand?

I expect nothing because you have a history here of providing exactly that. You have offered nothing beyond your personal interpretation of things that you think happened to you and that is worthless to anybody else. It does not constitute evidence.

Quote:I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well before hand and waste both your time and mine.

It would be a waste of time. Your personal experience is worthless without external evidence to support your claims.

Quote: I can actually take pictures of the booklet that I'm talking about and post it here if you like I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well beforehand and waste both my time and yours.

How can anybody determine that you did not know or had not heard the things you wrote down? You might not remember having heard or read about them but still internalized them. You might have just had an inspiration that happened to turn out to be right but even that wouldn't be evidence of anything external to you.

I don't know how to get this through that thick skull. If you want to convince anybody that what you believe is actually true then you need evidence that can be examined and tested. Until you can meet that criteria you appear to be nothing more than a self-deluded fool.

(15-09-2015 04:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  PS much like you discredit anything that does not fall into your closed view.

I am very open to things that can be shown to be true. I am closed to unsubstantiated bullshit tossed out by an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

(15-09-2015 05:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I must admit that I have never seen such a such a concentration of hate mongering back patters in my life. Hopefully those new here with a secular belief are run off by this grand negativity. Its alright to be secular and believe in only the material but the bees so prejudice to others who are actually kind just because they don't believe what you believe is really f***** up.

Again, you have it completely wrong. Being against the dissemination of unsubstantiated claims is not being negative. You exemplify everything that is wrong with and dangerous about the religious mindset and being against that is being pro-humanity. You accept whatever feels right to you without any basis in fact or any comparison to the real world to see if it is even close to accurate. That kind of irrational fantasizing is what is truly fucked up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-09-2015, 07:29 PM
(15-09-2015 04:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Psssst Alla you forgot the part where it was "translated" by a criminal who really in fact made all the shit up...
I respect your personal opinion. I disagree but I do respect it.
(15-09-2015 04:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Which is why they don't have the original text today.
It can be one of the reasons. But there is a problem with your statement: you don't know if your statement is true.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-09-2015, 07:37 PM
(15-09-2015 05:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Sorry Alla, no round two for you. I eviscerated your made up religion in great detail in this thread. all in agreeance say "Aye."
Of course they would say "Aye". I would be very disappointed if atheist said "Nay":)
(15-09-2015 05:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Say it with me Alla...Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real....eventually you will believe it, or convince yourself it just MUST be true.....superior counter evidence be damned.
My faith is not based on such things. My faith is based on personal revelation from my Heavenly Father by the power of the Holy Ghost. If I never received a revelation from Father I would be an atheist till now.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
15-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I don't think it is hate. I think it is more frustration with those who believe in God of the Bible. They have their reasons. They have their goals. I truly understand atheists.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
15-09-2015, 07:46 PM
(15-09-2015 05:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 04:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What would be the point of me showing any of this to you if you're just going to discredit it beforehand?

I expect nothing because you have a history here of providing exactly that. You have offered nothing beyond your personal interpretation of things that you think happened to you and that is worthless to anybody else. It does not constitute evidence.

Quote:I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well before hand and waste both your time and mine.

It would be a waste of time. Your personal experience is worthless without external evidence to support your claims.

Quote: I can actually take pictures of the booklet that I'm talking about and post it here if you like I can sit here and explain the entire experience to you if you like but it seems that you would just discredit it as well beforehand and waste both my time and yours.
Negativity and the tendency of peers to pat one another on the back after they are hateful as f congratulating them in there hate is fucked up. And just to be clear I was atheist up until God came to me. I had never read a single religious book and only recall attending any church once in early childhood. The things that I wrote wouldn't have been said by any preacher of any sort. Even now that I go to a different church generally twice a week I have yet to hear things similar to what I wrote. Stereotyping of any sort is also fucked up.
(15-09-2015 04:44 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  PS much like you discredit anything that does not fall into your closed view.

Again, you have it completely wrong. Being against the dissemination of unsubstantiated claims is not being negative. You exemplify everything that is wrong with and dangerous about the religious mindset and being against that is being pro-humanity. You accept whatever feels right to you without any basis in fact or any comparison to the real world to see if it is even close to accurate. That kind of irrational fantasizing is what is truly fucked up.
15-09-2015, 07:48 PM
(15-09-2015 07:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 05:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Sorry Alla, no round two for you. I eviscerated your made up religion in great detail in this thread. all in agreeance say "Aye."
Of course they would say "Aye". I would be very disappointed if atheist said "Nay":)
(15-09-2015 05:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Say it with me Alla...Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real, Santa is real....eventually you will believe it, or convince yourself it just MUST be true.....superior counter evidence be damned.
My faith is not based on such things. My faith is based on personal revelation from my Heavenly Father by the power of the Holy Ghost. If I never received a revelation from Father I would be an atheist till now.
Damn, what a coincidence!
15-09-2015, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-09-2015 05:18 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Your reasoning skills are.....severely challenged at best ...

I am reading Alla different than you GWoG. She admitted up front that she don't reason so good. I think that's to her advantage. Unlike some of the others who also don't reason so good she is not even trying to argue. They should take a cue from her. I think what she is doing is called witnessing. She's not arguing her faith merely professing it. And she don't think reason is worth a shit compared to her faith. She don't care how modus my ponens or tollens are. I find her interesting and far less obnoxious than some of our other theists like Q and BlowMe.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post