Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation…
Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation… If a secular nation…what happened?

SOMEBODY please post sources every now and then. I really want to learn while researching this stuff

Thanks again, dudes!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 06:54 AM
RE: Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation…
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Source: http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
Source: http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlevi

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
Source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1796t.asp

'nuff said? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Re: Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation…
The government was established intentionally secular based on philosophies from texts like, the rights of man.

To say what happened doesn't say much. Nothing happened. Despite the founding principals being established that way, the country was still populated by a majority of religion folks. It was various different groups of religious movements that had established residences in the initial colonies. None of that changed by the time of the Independence. The religious kept spreading regardless and possibly in benefit of having no direct connection to the political system.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-01-2014, 08:19 AM
"In its first century, the national government practiced a separation of church and state far sharper than anything Americans would accept today."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/23/opinion/fr...christmas/
10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
(09-01-2014 11:34 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation… If a secular nation…what happened?

SOMEBODY please post sources every now and then. I really want to learn while researching this stuff

Thanks again, dudes!!

"Discussion" ? Oh really. With no "discussion" or contribution from you ?
More like : "Hey all you smart atheists, I'm too fucking lazy to do my own homework, so I'm hoping you're gullible enough to do it for me".
There are numerous prior threads on TTA on the subject. You can't even search them ?
Pathetic.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-01-2014, 08:58 AM
(10-01-2014 08:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 11:34 PM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Discussion on whether America was founded as a Secular or Christian nation… If a secular nation…what happened?

Thanks again, dudes!!

"Discussion" ? Oh really. With no "discussion" or contribution from you ?
More like : "Hey all you smart atheists, I'm too fucking lazy to do my own homework, so I'm hoping you're gullible enough to do it for me".
There are numerous prior threads on TTA on the subject. You can't even search them ?
Pathetic.

Come on Bucky, he was just asking a question. Maybe "discussion" wasn't the best word to describe what he was looking to do, but I think he just wanted some help.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
10-01-2014, 09:04 AM
(10-01-2014 08:58 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Come on Bucky, he was just asking a question. Maybe "discussion" wasn't the best word to describe what he was looking to do, but I think he just wanted some help.
Well, I'm inclined to agree with the spirit of Bucky's post. It took me about five minutes to find the three quotes I posted.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 09:10 AM
(10-01-2014 09:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Well, I'm inclined to agree with the spirit of Bucky's post. It took me about five minutes to find the three quotes I posted.

Does that mean you consider yourself gullible?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
10-01-2014, 09:12 AM
(10-01-2014 09:10 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Does that mean you consider yourself gullible?

(10-01-2014 09:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Well, I'm inclined to agree with the spirit of Bucky's post.

10-01-2014, 09:15 AM
(10-01-2014 09:12 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 09:10 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  Does that mean you consider yourself gullible?

(10-01-2014 09:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Well, I'm inclined to agree with the spirit of Bucky's post.

Yea i noticed that after i posted the question.
Es tut mir leid