Discussion with a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 02:38 PM
RE: Discussion with a Christian
(16-10-2016 01:48 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 06:27 AM)chimp3 Wrote:  Borg does bring up a good point with his flesh and blood argument. Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice and cannabilism . A death cult. ...........

This is not the way to deal with the good Pastor. He just turns around and walks away, saying to the parents: your child is not ready (pray for him).
Your only option is to show the Pastor the real Truth. The Truth is not the atheism, the atheism will bounce off the Pastor. After the Pastor would see the Truth, he will decide to Love or to Hate. Please guide him to Love.

First of all, you don't get to dictate goldenarm's options. Nor do any of us.

Second, his parents have asked him to listen to the pastor's arguments, not try to convert the pastor. If it turns out to be an honest and thorough conversation, the best outcome is that both parties will come away feeling as though they understand and respect the other, even if they still disagree. You're advocating for goldenarm to enter the conversation dishonestly, with a (preposterous) hidden agenda, and you're trying, unethically, to guilt-trip him by using loaded words like "truth" and "love" and suggesting that it is his responsibility to "guide" the pastor. He bears no such responsibility. Pretty sure your imaginary god doesn't want you to command other people to lie to lure converts.

Third, your suggestion is practically stupid as well as immoral. The pastor's already financially dependent on his brand of god. He's not going to be eager to switch to a different kind of stupid and then try to fight his way into the Eastern Orthodox profit center.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
16-10-2016, 02:40 PM
(16-10-2016 06:27 AM)chimp3 Wrote:  Borg does bring up a good point with his flesh and blood argument. Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice and cannabilism . A death cult. ...........

This is not the way to deal with the good Pastor. He just turns around and walks away, saying to the parents: your child is not ready (pray for him).
Your only option is to show the Pastor the real Truth. The Truth is not the atheism, the atheism will bounce off the Pastor. After the Pastor would see the Truth, he will decide to Love or to Hate. Please guide him to Love.
[Image: bla-bla-bla.gif]

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
16-10-2016, 02:43 PM
(15-10-2016 10:30 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 08:07 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  [Image: blah+blah+blah.gif]

It is not a blah-blah.
[Image: tumblr_m0c5cjCqqf1rqmxn7o1_500.gif]
Better? I removed the h.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
16-10-2016, 03:07 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
16-10-2016, 04:28 PM
(16-10-2016 03:07 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Thank you. This wise comment is in favor of mine suggestion. There will be a meeting, some sort of a debate. There is no point in meeting or debate, if the persons are just getting their fun. Be more serious, humans! Please!
16-10-2016, 04:31 PM
(16-10-2016 04:28 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 03:07 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Thank you. This wise comment is in favor of mine suggestion. There will be a meeting, some sort of a debate. There is no point in meeting or debate, if the persons are just getting their fun. Be more serious, humans! Please!

Blah, Blah, Blah

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-10-2016, 05:18 PM
(13-10-2016 07:50 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  I've told my parents that I would talk to a Christian about my lack of belief as long as they understood their bible better than the average Christian. Pretty soon I will be meeting with a guy who used to be my parent's Pastor. He is intelligent and will prob be on a mission to convert me. He's not on a William Lane Craig level, but he's up there in terms of his bible knowledge so our discussion should be interesting.

I plan on approaching with, " What do you believe and why?. Why should I believe it?" Finally, I have some good arguments too incase they're needed. I will of course be open minded, but I don't want to get tricked either. Any advice?

Ask for evidence, not arguments.

Arguments are religion's stock and trade because they are a dime a dozen. They've also been refuted by better philosophers than he is. If any of them were valid then there would be one obvious and true religion and everybody would belong to it.

Evidence is that which can be observed, either by your senses or by instruments designed to sense things that we can't. There is precious little evidence for god. This will significantly cut into his material.

Beware of arguments masquerading as evidence. A favorite is the Argument for Design. A tree is evidence of a sprouted acorn, not Gawd OllMighty.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-10-2016, 08:20 AM

How would this good pastor distinguish truth when he has bought hook , line and sinker into a view of reality as utterly subjective? What could the truth mean on such a view? Until you can answer these questions, your statement here is nonsensical. It's just more stolen concepts wrapped in contradictions.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-10-2016, 12:16 AM
(17-10-2016 08:20 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  ...........
How would this good pastor distinguish truth when he has bought hook , line and sinker into a view of reality as utterly subjective? What could the truth mean on such a view? .........

We must not deny the Truth, just because we can not proof certain things.

The fundamental theists say, what blood is real. The non-fundamentals say, what it is only the "holy wine".

The Reality exists, even without your knowledge of its existence.
18-10-2016, 12:26 AM
(18-10-2016 12:16 AM)theBorg Wrote:  .... Wrote stuff...

To whom it may concern. Please peruse this thread. => http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ialistview

Thumbsup