Discussion with my Christian friend about death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: Discussion with my Christian friend about death
Play Jim Jeffries for him.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 05:34 AM
Tell him he's not going to heaven because he might have shaved once in his lifetime OOPS Leviticus 19:27 ...or must have wore Cotton clothes OOPS Leviticus 19:19
22-10-2014, 07:15 AM
(22-09-2014 07:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  People seem to think that they must matter, that there needs to be a legacy and all that.

Obviously, when you are dead it doesn't matter whether you mattered, death is the big equalizer. Beggars or kings, it's all the same.

So why is everyone so worried about leaving a legacy?

It's their inability to accept their own mortality, they think to themselves "people will remember me after I'm gone!" not really. History students might remember you, big deal -and then our sun goes nova and disintegrates the planet. No matter how important you think you are, you were nothing more than a cosmic blip.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
22-10-2014, 07:24 AM
(22-10-2014 07:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 07:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  People seem to think that they must matter, that there needs to be a legacy and all that.

Obviously, when you are dead it doesn't matter whether you mattered, death is the big equalizer. Beggars or kings, it's all the same.

It's their inability to accept their own mortality, they think to themselves "people will remember me after I'm gone!" not really. History students might remember you, big deal -and then our sun goes nova and disintegrates the planet. No matter how important you think you are, you were nothing more than a cosmic blip.

Exactly. I suppose it's linked with the instinct to procreate. Live on through your offspring.

I never had the desire to create offspring, so maybe my not caring about legacies is connected.

I care about what happens to anyone dependent on me after I die, because I care about them. But beyond taking care of the people and animals I care about, I just don't care about leaving a legacy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
24-10-2014, 04:08 AM
I would like to live a legacy, not just offspring. Being remembered is only one of the reasons though, which is not bad by itself.

I think that a very good reason to do something that will last is to do something for others that will stand the test of time... even if not forever. True, the universe is probably going to disappear anyways and if not that, Earth is going to, but so what?

You never do anything because you know it's going to disappear anyway? What if Hitchens never debated, never went to interviews, never wrote books? What if Carlin never did stand ups? I say that if you have the talent to do something that might last and enrich others, it'd be a waste not to do anything at all.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
24-10-2014, 04:50 AM
(24-10-2014 04:08 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I would like to live a legacy, not just offspring. Being remembered is only one of the reasons though, which is not bad by itself.

I think that a very good reason to do something that will last is to do something for others that will stand the test of time... even if not forever. True, the universe is probably going to disappear anyways and if not that, Earth is going to, but so what?

You never do anything because you know it's going to disappear anyway? What if Hitchens never debated, never went to interviews, never wrote books? What if Carlin never did stand ups? I say that if you have the talent to do something that might last and enrich others, it'd be a waste not to do anything at all.

They might be motivated by legacy, but there are a zillion reasons to do things that have nothing to do with legacy.

Plenty of motivators in the here and now...

Why do you want to leave a legacy? Fame? You won't be able to enjoy it.

There are tons of people who have contributed greatly to the world and no one remembers their name. Why does it matter to have your name remembered?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-10-2014, 05:21 AM
(24-10-2014 04:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  They might be motivated by legacy, but there are a zillion reasons to do things that have nothing to do with legacy.

Absolutely, I agree with you. My point was not that the legacy is the only reason for doing something, rather that a finite life doesn't seem to be for me a sufficient reason not to do something with it.

Quote:Why do you want to leave a legacy? Fame? You won't be able to enjoy it.

There are tons of people who have contributed greatly to the world and no one remembers their name. Why does it matter to have your name remembered?

True, I won't enjoy anything after dying, but I don't see what is inherently bad with wanting to leave a trace of your past presence in this world, and doing something useful for others in the process.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
24-10-2014, 09:21 AM
(24-10-2014 05:21 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 04:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  They might be motivated by legacy, but there are a zillion reasons to do things that have nothing to do with legacy.

Absolutely, I agree with you. My point was not that the legacy is the only reason for doing something, rather that a finite life doesn't seem to be for me a sufficient reason not to do something with it.

Quote:Why do you want to leave a legacy? Fame? You won't be able to enjoy it.

True, I won't enjoy anything after dying, but I don't see what is inherently bad with wanting to leave a trace of your past presence in this world, and doing something useful for others in the process.

I think I am going to open a new thread for that discussion... it's interesting. Smile

24-10-2014, 10:49 AM
(24-10-2014 09:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think I am going to open a new thread for that discussion... it's interesting. Smile

I posted there as well! Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
26-10-2014, 10:27 PM

Because we are not dead "right now", we are not ready to be dead "right now". It is because we are still alive, we want to know that we left something behind that made the world a little bit better. If no one strived to do that, none of us would be here today. We would just sit around, eat, poop, fuck and die.

Science, religion, philosophy, culture or thought would not exist if it was not for our need to do something in the world while we are alive.

To argue against this is to argue against everything we have done and continue to do so.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post