Discussions with my father, a philosopher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: Discussions with my father, a philosopher
(28-09-2013 06:50 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  He also brought up the question of why Christianity became so popular after Jesus's death. I've never heard that one before, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Provided you don't mind reading a book from your computer, Dr. Richard Carrier has a book that available in it's entirety over on the Secular Web called 'Not the Impossible Faith: Why Christianity Didn't Need a Miracle to Succeed'. It's essentially a point-by-point refutation of JP Holding's work of Christian apologetics called 'The Impossible Faith', which is seen as one of the mainstays of this terrible argument (which really boils down to an argument from ignorance or incredulity).

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/r...mprobable/

Quote:A common argument for the truth of the Christian religion is that its origins were too improbable for it to be false. This argument has appeared in many forms over the years, but most of the usual ideas are combined into a single popular effort by James Holding. The following article critiques that effort, by comparing Holding's arguments and claims there with the actual facts of ancient history, and identifying fallacies in his reasoning. Holding offers seventeen factors "where Christianity 'did the wrong thing' in order to be a successful religion" and concludes from this that "the only way Christianity" could "succeed" under those seventeen hostile conditions is "because it was a truly revealed faith," in particular "because it had the irrefutable witness of the resurrection." Besides those seventeen factors, Holding offers one additional critical assumption about "luck," making eighteen points altogether. Each of those points will be addressed in a separate chapter, in order, with his eighteenth underlying assumption counted last, followed by an evolving chapter responding to critics of the present work. In addition, I have added some preliminary remarks about method below (after the table of contents).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 05:21 AM
RE: Discussions with my father, a philosopher
The popularity of christianity has a lot to do with the way christianity forces it's believers to spread the word in order to "lead people to eternal life" + emperor constantine being converted and making christianity official religion of roman empire.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply