Disgust sensitivity and political beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2012, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2012 02:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Information Disgust sensitivity and political beliefs
This is interesting. Turns out there is a correlation between
taste bitterness, disgust sensitivity, oral contamination fear, novelty fear, and political and moral beliefs.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/inde...taste.html
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/...ne.0041159

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2012, 10:43 AM
RE: Disgust sensitivity and political beliefs
I have a disgust reaction to religion!

Thanks Bucks for finding this.

I think I have a high disgust-threshold...
I was the one who would clean up my friends' vomit after a party before their parents came home; I was the one who would eat daffodils on a dare; I was the parent who changed most nappies (diapers) etc.

The often conscious battle against my own disgust reactions has made me the liberal / libertine I am today and understanding my inner ape was one of the key contributors.

Otherwise I would never have had any of the more bizarre sexual encounters that I have enjoyed (examples and pics by PM only).

But I still find dogs completely disgusting!

The 5 pillars of morality have been discussed (homonym intended) on other threads and it would be interesting to do a forum poll.

We have members who strongly exhibit the in-group feature (see e.g. racism threads) and I recall one of our newer members on more than one occasion saying how disgusted she was by a comment. No names but this was a recent deconvert so I wonder how more disgust-tolerant we become as we become more comfortable with our new atheism.
Also, we have the political threads where it seems to me that the conservatives are in the minority.

So once again there is the question of causation vs. correlation.

If the 5 "moralities" are:
1. Harm / care
2. Fairness / reciprocity
3. In-group / loyalty
4. Authority / respect
5. Purity / sanctity

(Liberals are more in tune with 1. and 2. and conservatives value all five.)

...we've seen emotions relating to all five in many threads on this forum but could it be that the commonality amongst all atheists is the reducing relevance of number 4?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
14-10-2012, 11:22 PM
You find dogs disgusting you say? I don't understand that. Some of the things humans do are just downright sick. I find small children or anyone for that matter that drool or have snot coming out of their nose extremely disgusting. Then again, I have never had a dog that drools or eats shit or anything like that. In fact, the one I have now is extremely clean.
18-10-2012, 04:23 AM
(14-10-2012 11:22 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  You find dogs disgusting you say? I don't understand that. Some of the things humans do are just downright sick. I find small children or anyone for that matter that drool or have snot coming out of their nose extremely disgusting. Then again, I have never had a dog that drools or eats shit or anything like that. In fact, the one I have now is extremely clean.

All that stuff I wrote and you picked up on that one throw-away line?

Ah well.

I think it's more that dogs might find me disgusting.... the same human expression of disgust that you see in the OP vid... well, that's the expression of the dogs when I come near them... kinda like a snarl... then they attack!

Dogs and me... we just don't get on well.

ps I got no probs wiv bitches.