Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion
I'm currently downloading Dishonored on my ps3 and I'm wondering how you all think it compares to Skyrim and Oblivion. What are the major differences?

I'm assuming there's still shops to buy gear? Different factions to join? Choices on how to progress through a mission?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
RE: Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion
(01-12-2013 06:49 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I'm currently downloading Dishonored on my ps3 and I'm wondering how you all think it compares to Skyrim and Oblivion. What are the major differences?

I'm assuming there's still shops to buy gear? Different factions to join? Choices on how to progress through a mission?
Very very different style of game. Biggest difference is probably that Skyrim is a lot more open sandbox-style game and Dishonoured is a more focused story-based game.

Combat and story are a lot tighter in Dishonoured, but there's a lot more content in general in Skyrim.
[+] 1 user Likes Cheetory6's post
01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Apples and oranges.

It would be easier to list the things they have in common. Laughat

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Lol, son, you have the wrong idea about what Dishonored is.

Dishonored is a linear single player story mode game.
Skyrim is, well, Skyrim.

Don't get me wrong, Dishonored is a fun game BUT if you're looking for a Skyrim like game, Dishonored is not what you're looking for.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-12-2013, 07:32 PM
That's both disappointing and intriguing. I'm interested to see how game play is when it's more focused on the story, but having less freedom and content is a definite bummer. I wasn't necessarily looking for a skyrim-like experience, I just know that Bethesda does a great job on it's games (The ones I've played) so I decided to give it a go.

I'm also downloading Call of Duty: Ghosts...

So what do they have in common? Tongue (Dishonored and Skyrim/Oblivion, not CoD)

01-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Okay these are literally my three favorite games.

Skyrim is very open, and there is a shit ton to do. You have a large variety of decisions to make throughout quests that influence the conclusions of quests. There are several factions to join, and several DLC's that expand the game immensely.

Oblivion is a lot like Skyrim, except more complex. The whole customization concept isn't as simplified. In descending each Elder Scrolls game, the customization concept and entire complexity of the game is stressed more. But if you can get past the god awful Fallout-like graphics, it's a classic of it's own.

Morrowind is really fun and entertaining as well, if you don't mind the graphics of its time.

Dishonored is very stealth and stun oriented. It's not an open world game, but I completely fell in love with it. The world itself is very interesting, with little pieces of weird information thrown about throughout the game (things written on walls, notes found in sewers, etc) that make the game more... understandable and unique if you choose to replay it a second time. Even though the graphics are a little irritating at times, the story is very unique as well. The actions and behavior you pursue while playing impact the outcome of the story, as well as the behaviors of other characters in the game.

IMO, Skyrim is definitely likable. Oblivion you'll like if you can get past the graphics, and Dishonored is a taste to acquire. But they're all awesome games.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of Skyrims story the world itself is interesting and full of depth. It is a very immersive experience, dragons attacking your randomly, doing a few quest and being invited into a guild of assassins, the position of archmage falling into you lap...stuff like that. The fallout series is similar albeit with a little more structure and guns. In short skyrim is the medieval grand theft auto with a lot of inventory management.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I've played both Skyrim and Oblivion. I guess I wasn't clear on that Tongue They are excellent games. I liked Skyrim better but that might just be because I had it on console, whereas I had oblivion for the computer. I prefer games on a gaming console.

Dishonored is the one I haven't tried yet. At 68%.... Gah. Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it. Have a physics test tomorrow so I'm not staying up late waiting for it.

(01-12-2013 08:27 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Dishonored is very stealth and stun oriented. It's not an open world game, but I completely fell in love with it. The world itself is very interesting, with little pieces of weird information thrown about throughout the game (things written on walls, notes found in sewers, etc) that make the game more... understandable and unique if you choose to replay it a second time. Even though the graphics are a little irritating at times, the story is very unique as well. The actions and behavior you pursue while playing impact the outcome of the story, as well as the behaviors of other characters in the game.

I couldn't help but think of Portal, all the crap on the walls in 'hidden' areas. I'm looking forward to playing this game.

01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Yeah, what everyone else saidTongue
The thing with dishonored though, sure it is linear but how you complete your mission is not. You can accomplish missions in various ways, you'll get lots of interesting powers. You can play it purely as a stealth game without killing anyone or you could lay waste to everything in your way. Sure the stealth is fun but wow..when you play it as a mad man its freaking incredible, there are so many creative ways to kill peopleTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
01-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Ever played Bioshock? Then you've basically played Dishonored. I view Dishonored as a blend of Bioshock and Assassin's Creed. Like Bioshock in the basic gameplay, powers + gun/melee combat and like Assassin's Creed in that it is open enough that you can get through missions any way you like.

Like everyone else has said, it's very different from Skyrim and Oblivion. Very worth playing, though, and when you can pick it up for dirt cheap on Steam Sales, it's hard to pass up.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 1 user Likes Anudist's post