Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion
(02-12-2013 06:21 AM)Caveman Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 08:27 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Oblivion is a lot like Skyrim, except more complex. The whole customization concept isn't as simplified. In descending each Elder Scrolls game, the customization concept and entire complexity of the game is stressed more. But if you can get past the god awful Fallout-like graphics, it's a classic of it's time.

Fallout-like graphics?
You do realise Oblivion came out in 2006 and Fallout 3 in 2008.

OT: Oblivion is easily the worst game of the entire Elder Scrolls series, worse, it's the worst Bethesda game. It has no atmosphere, shallow, non relatable characters, horrible leveldesign, barely a story and is a grind to play through.

Dishonored was great fun, fixes everything I just listed. Many ways to finish and new gameplay elements that are easily picked up.

Well Fallout 3 did have pretty crap graphics, compared to say some linear story mode game. But that's to be expected, it's a huge open world. Plus it was still nice to look at (in a looking at the same texture the entire time sort of way).

Totally agree about Oblivion (though I haven't played Daggerfall), I don't get why so many people like it, it's a grind to play and boring. Skyrim was a vast improvement.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-12-2013, 12:46 PM
(02-12-2013 09:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 06:21 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Fallout-like graphics?

OT: Oblivion is easily the worst game of the entire Elder Scrolls series, worse, it's the worst Bethesda game. It has no atmosphere, shallow, non relatable characters, horrible leveldesign, barely a story and is a grind to play through.

Dishonored was great fun, fixes everything I just listed. Many ways to finish and new gameplay elements that are easily picked up.

Well Fallout 3 did have pretty crap graphics, compared to say some linear story mode game. But that's to be expected, it's a huge open world. Plus it was still nice to look at (in a looking at the same texture the entire time sort of way).

Totally agree about Oblivion (though I haven't played Daggerfall), I don't get why so many people like it, it's a grind to play and boring. Skyrim was a vast improvement.

Yeah bethesda puts more time into their character and object models than the world itself (although Skyrim is a vast improvement). The Oblivion series also has awful menu design.... but the main reason I didn't care for oblivion was the repetitiveness (all of those gates!) and the broken nature of the leveling system where you had to choose the skills you didn't want?! and Skyrim has fixed most of that.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
(01-12-2013 09:09 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I couldn't help but think of Portal, all the crap on the walls in 'hidden' areas. I'm looking forward to playing this game.

This isn't a spoiler, but the one quote that got me is a quote scrabbled on the walls in a room you begin in at the start of the game. It goes "A small fire that warms is better than a big fire that burns" It basically sets the theme of the actions your pursue throughout the game. I find it unique because it's only found once throughout the game, and you won't even notice it unless you're very observant of your surroundings (and what is behind you...) during the first level.

Smile

(01-12-2013 10:38 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Why not!? Killing everyone sounds like a party and a half!

My answer to this basically refers to the quote I mentioned above. Dishonored has several different endings depending on your actions. The game is stealth based, so if you go all (as Cheetory calls it) Going-all-out-I-don't-give-a-fuck-man-mode, you're probably not going to get the best ending. More dead bodies lead to a higher corpse count, and once you understand the setting of the game (trying not to include details that would spoil anything) you'll understand why killing is so bad. With being stealthy and aiming to achieve "low chaos" on each level, you'll find yourself sitting in hiding places for what seems like forever sometimes, but Dishonored actually makes the stealth fun. The dialogue exchanged between guards and other characters is hilarious. If you just stay back and even watch, the guards usually do something pretty funny... like pee... I noticed this last night when I was throwing bottles at a guard.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Vise versa, Fallout's graphics are a lot like Oblivion's. My point still stands. The graphics are incredibly similar, and by that I mean god awful. Tongue

I liked Oblivion a lot. The beginning is a drag, but once I got into it, I found that I liked it a lot. It took me three or four restarts to actually find myself liking it though. Plus I had to get past the graphics that made me want to abuse an animal. They're just terrible.

Skyrim is a significant improvement; the story is much more inspiring, the design is amazing (obviously because of it's time), but they did simplify a lot compared to older TES games. I would be more satisfied with Skyrim if it had the armor customization of Morrowind, but that's just me.

(02-12-2013 09:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well Fallout 3 did have pretty crap graphics, compared to say some linear story mode game. But that's to be expected, it's a huge open world. Plus it was still nice to look at (in a looking at the same texture the entire time sort of way).

Fallout was the same as Oblivion for me. Crap graphics and took me a few restarts before I could get into it, but once I could I really enjoyed it.
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM

You do realize that both Oblivion and Fallout 3 were both developed by Bethesda Softworks and used the same off the shelf Gamebryo engine? Did you know that an earlier version was also used for Morrowind? Whereas Skyrim used an in-house developed custom engine (that they're most likely overhauling for Fallout 4). So yeah, there is a reason Fallout and Oblivion look similar (and have the same stilted animation).

Also, do you actually remember playing Daggerfall or Morrowind? Go back and try playing them, then go back to Oblivion. You'll get tired really quick of the your weapon skill factoring into your chance to hit or your chance to cast a spell successfully. You think Oblivion is a grind? Try raising any magic skill when you only have enough magika to cast 2-3 spells and you only have a 20% chance to cast one successfully. When it comes to mechanics, I do not miss the older games. Oblivion had a weaker story than Morrowind and it's auto-leveling enemies sucked, but everything else was an improvement over Morrowind (and the game balance is a mod fix away on PC).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
If you're playing Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout on PC, as is proper, then you can fix the graphics, balance, interface, and bugs.

Drinking Beverage

... this is my signature!
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
(02-12-2013 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If you're playing Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout on PC, as is proper, then you can fix the graphics, balance, interface, and bugs.

Drinking Beverage

Nigga there is no fixing how retarded the people in Oblivion and Fallout look. Big Grin
02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
(02-12-2013 04:00 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  If you're playing Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout on PC, as is proper, then you can fix the graphics, balance, interface, and bugs.

Drinking Beverage

Nigga there is no fixing how retarded the people in Oblivion and Fallout look. Big Grin

There is, you know.

I could only remember the name of the Oblivion mod I've used off-hand, but there are Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas equivalents (or rather, several equivalents for each).

Throw in some redone textures and texture mixing, and you're good to go.

... this is my signature!
02-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Drinking Beverage

Yeah, I wish modding was big back when.
Now I've all but given up gaming.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
03-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Dishonored is more of you following a story with a few side missions within a level itself. I played half way through it unsatisfied because it felt like a copy of Far Cry 3, only linear and less emotionally impactful.

As far as Oblivion and Skyrim...
If you want really good story, world depth, and attention to detail that you can mess with then Oblivion.
If you just want a simpler world plot, action, and all about leveling then Skyrim.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user