Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
RE: Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion
(05-12-2013 09:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 08:53 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  NIGGER HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH AND FOUND/DONE EVERYTHING?
Yes. Drinking Beverage

I would gladly challenge you on this, Vos. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(01-12-2013 06:49 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I'm currently downloading Dishonored on my ps3 and I'm wondering how you all think it compares to Skyrim and Oblivion. What are the major differences?

I'm assuming there's still shops to buy gear? Different factions to join? Choices on how to progress through a mission?

It's amazing!

My advice; don't kill everyone. The amount of people you kill affects the ending. Save killing for people who really deserve it instead of just random guards.

Also, ensure you collect all runes and bone-charms. They're very useful.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
07-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Its probably been said a billion times already, but... Dishonored is NOT open world. Its a first person, stealth, action game, with a linear storyline... There's no exploration, side quests, or other activities. The story is the game...

Not that there's anything wrong with that sort of game, but if you want a sandbox experience then you will be very disappointed.

You are free to complete missions how you please... Choose your path, quiet or loud, lethal or non-lethal.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Just finished the game, on high chaos obviously. It was alright I suppose. Not too crazy about it.
I also watched the low chaos ending on youtube, no way I would replay the game again and attempt low chaos. It would take sooo long.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

09-12-2013, 01:29 AM
(07-12-2013 09:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Its probably been said a billion times already, but... Dishonored is NOT open world. Its a first person, stealth, action game, with a linear storyline... There's no exploration, side quests, or other activities. The story is the game...

Not that there's anything wrong with that sort of game, but if you want a sandbox experience then you will be very disappointed.

You are free to complete missions how you please... Choose your path, quiet or loud, lethal or non-lethal.

There are plenty of side quests. The only thing you need to complete to progress the story forward is anything directly related to the assassinations.

You don't have to play hide-and-seek with Emily Kaldwin at the start of the game.

You don't have to do anything for Granny Rags, or help Griff out of being barricaded into his home.

You don't have to spare Captain Curnow (Castilla's uncle) during High Overseer Campbell's assassination.

You don't have to do any of the missions for Slackjaw.

You don't have to release the captives being held for experimentation in Dr. Sokolov's facility when you capture him.

You don't have to deliver Pendelton's letter (and participate in an honor duel in his place) at the Lady Boyle's party.

When you return to the tower, you don't have to eliminate the royal interrogator that tortured you, but you can.

You don't have to go reclaim your gear from the Flooded District after you've been captured.

You don't have to save Sokolov and Piero when you return to the pub.

And these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Not recover your gear? How does that work?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
09-12-2013, 03:48 AM
(09-12-2013 02:07 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Not recover your gear? How does that work?

Well, you still have your powers and a sword you can swipe from Daud's assassin's during your escape. Conceivably you can finish the game with a sub par sword and your powers without having your fancy sword, and tricked out pistol and crossbow.

09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
[Image: lol-i-forgot-how-to-horse_o_2576931.webp]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-12-2013, 10:20 AM
(09-12-2013 01:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 09:26 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Its probably been said a billion times already, but... Dishonored is NOT open world. Its a first person, stealth, action game, with a linear storyline... There's no exploration, side quests, or other activities. The story is the game...

There are plenty of side quests. The only thing you need to complete to progress the story forward is anything directly related to the assassinations.

You don't have to play hide-and-seek with Emily Kaldwin at the start of the game.

You don't have to do anything for Granny Rags, or help Griff out of being barricaded into his home.

You don't have to spare Captain Curnow (Castilla's uncle) during High Overseer Campbell's assassination.

You don't have to do any of the missions for Slackjaw.

You don't have to release the captives being held for experimentation in Dr. Sokolov's facility when you capture him.

You don't have to deliver Pendelton's letter (and participate in an honor duel in his place) at the Lady Boyle's party.

When you return to the tower, you don't have to eliminate the royal interrogator that tortured you, but you can.

You don't have to go reclaim your gear from the Flooded District after you've been captured.

You don't have to save Sokolov and Piero when you return to the pub.

And these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

So how that make it a sandbox game?

Even with all that choice, its still a very linear game...

I'm not knocking it, I think its a great game.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2013, 01:09 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 01:52 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(16-12-2013 10:20 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  So how that make it a sandbox game?

Even with all that choice, its still a very linear game...

I'm not knocking it, I think its a great game.

I never said it was a sandbox, I simply disagreed when you said...

Quote:There's no exploration, side quests, or other activities.

Because there is an emphasis on exploration which is rewarded (money, equipment, bone charms, runes), and there are plenty of optional side quests. Also you need to check your use of 'linear', as I think you're misusing it. Yes, Dishonored has a linear story (as opposed to Skyrim or galaxy spanning Mass Effect). However it give you a very non-linear experience very similarly to Deus Ex. While the story will take you to one mission after another, how you complete each mission is entirely open to the player.

*MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD*

Let's look at the assassination of High Overseer Campbell. Right off the bat, the player has the option to talk to Castilla and get the optional side mission to spare her uncle. Once the mission starts you find yourself in need of traversing John Clavering Boulevard. Here there are a number of side mission unrelated to the assassination, such as helping Granny Rags, rescuing Griff, and breaking into the Galvanni estate. Ignoring that you still have to get past a few walls of light (Do you climb and Blink over them? Disable their power source and sneak through? Fight your way past?). Once you actually make it to Holger Square, how do you get into the office of the High Overseer? Do you Blink up to a high ledge and sneak in through the second story windows? Do you go through the sewers and kennels to come in through the basement? Do you go through the courtyard and enter through the backyard? Or do you simply walk through the front door? Once you find Campbell, how do you eliminate him? Do you swap the poison he's going to use on Curnow so that he kills himself? Do you instead mix them and poison them both to make sure Campbell dies (but also killing Castilla's uncle in the process)? Do you dive on him from above with your knife drawn? Do you simply shoot him in the face with your pistol or crossbow? Do you smash the wine glasses forcing Campbell and Curnow into a more secluded area where you can dispatch one or both silently? Do you instead mark Campbell with the Heretic's Brand, destroying his career and forever marking him as an outcast of the Overseers? While you are doing all of this, how much loot do you steal? How many runes and bone charms do you collect? How often do you raise the alarm? How many guards do you kill or incapacitate? Lets also remember that all of these decision have an affect on the final outcome of the story and the amount of chaos has a direct affect in the world (high chaos has more weeper, rats, and guards on patrol); including an entirely different final mission depending on what you did.

So yeah, nonchalantly calling Dishonored a 'linear' game just because it isn't a massive open sandbox experience (which makes it a false dichotomy), is doing both the game and the word a terrible disservice.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post