Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 02:53 AM
RE: Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion
(05-12-2013 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 03:30 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Skyrim is a great game, but it lacks proper, good looking gore. Fallout solves that

What was that again? Drinking Beverage

I was talking about the vanillia "heads only" mutilation in Skyrim. And I do know about this mod; it just looked a bit dissapointing when that down pointing chop cut the guy in half; reminds me of Jedi Outcast's console command "g_saberrealisticcombat".

Oh well, it's not like the Bloody Mess perk in Fallout 3 and NV makes any sense...

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 03:30 AM
(17-12-2013 02:53 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

What was that again? Drinking Beverage

I was talking about the vanillia "heads only" mutilation in Skyrim. And I do know about this mod; it just looked a bit dissapointing when that down pointing chop cut the guy in half; reminds me of Jedi Outcast's console command "g_saberrealisticcombat".

Oh well, it's not like the Bloody Mess perk in Fallout 3 and NV makes any sense...

That's because there was precedent for those kind of death animations from the old isometric Fallout games. Seriosly, go look up the old death animations, they're all there. Miniguns blew people to pieces, shotguns and rifles blew a basketball sized hole in the torso, rockets made giblets, and of course the game's iconic laser (clean dismemberment), plasma (melting into go), and pulse (zapped into a skeleton) death animations.

That level of crazy works in Fallout. I was happy to see a little more gore in Skyrim, but I was likewise happy to see they didn't take it over the top in the way Fallout is known for. They set two entirely different tones for their respective games.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
17-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Holly fuck buckets, be careful if you download a big monster torrent of skyrim mods, I ended up with Tamriel apparently modded for paedofiles :
probably now on some watch list because my IP address linked to that torrent.

BTW: 0:40 in the YT above FTW

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-12-2013, 05:59 AM
(17-12-2013 03:30 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:53 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Oh well, it's not like the Bloody Mess perk in Fallout 3 and NV makes any sense...

That's because there was precedent for those kind of death animations from the old isometric Fallout games. Seriosly, go look up the old death animations, they're all there. Miniguns blew people to pieces, shotguns and rifles blew a basketball sized hole in the torso, rockets made giblets, and of course the game's iconic laser (clean dismemberment), plasma (melting into go), and pulse (zapped into a skeleton) death animations.

That level of crazy works in Fallout. I was happy to see a little more gore in Skyrim, but I was likewise happy to see they didn't take it over the top in the way Fallout is known for. They set two entirely different tones for their respective games.

Ehh, I just meant that it makes little sense that in Fallout 3 that I can blow off all limbs of a creature with a silenced 10mm; I never said that it was bad feature. And if there is one game I would want to see gore, it is a game like Skyrim where I can club people with a greatsword as long as a man.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
19-12-2013, 12:29 PM
(17-12-2013 01:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:20 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  So how that make it a sandbox game?

Even with all that choice, its still a very linear game...

I'm not knocking it, I think its a great game.

I never said it was a sandbox, I simply disagreed when you said...

Quote:There's no exploration, side quests, or other activities.

Because there is an emphasis on exploration which is rewarded (money, equipment, bone charms, runes), and there are plenty of optional side quests. Also you need to check your use of 'linear', as I think you're misusing it. Yes, Dishonored has a linear story (as opposed to Skyrim or galaxy spanning Mass Effect). However it give you a very non-linear experience very similarly to Deus Ex. While the story will take you to one mission after another, how you complete each mission is entirely open to the player.

*MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD*

Let's look at the assassination of High Overseer Campbell. Right off the bat, the player has the option to talk to Castilla and get the optional side mission to spare her uncle. Once the mission starts you find yourself in need of traversing John Clavering Boulevard. Here there are a number of side mission unrelated to the assassination, such as helping Granny Rags, rescuing Griff, and breaking into the Galvanni estate. Ignoring that you still have to get past a few walls of light (Do you climb and Blink over them? Disable their power source and sneak through? Fight your way past?). Once you actually make it to Holger Square, how do you get into the office of the High Overseer? Do you Blink up to a high ledge and sneak in through the second story windows? Do you go through the sewers and kennels to come in through the basement? Do you go through the courtyard and enter through the backyard? Or do you simply walk through the front door? Once you find Campbell, how do you eliminate him? Do you swap the poison he's going to use on Curnow so that he kills himself? Do you instead mix them and poison them both to make sure Campbell dies (but also killing Castilla's uncle in the process)? Do you dive on him from above with your knife drawn? Do you simply shoot him in the face with your pistol or crossbow? Do you smash the wine glasses forcing Campbell and Curnow into a more secluded area where you can dispatch one or both silently? Do you instead mark Campbell with the Heretic's Brand, destroying his career and forever marking him as an outcast of the Overseers? While you are doing all of this, how much loot do you steal? How many runes and bone charms do you collect? How often do you raise the alarm? How many guards do you kill or incapacitate? Lets also remember that all of these decision have an affect on the final outcome of the story and the amount of chaos has a direct affect in the world (high chaos has more weeper, rats, and guards on patrol); including an entirely different final mission depending on what you did.

So yeah, nonchalantly calling Dishonored a 'linear' game just because it isn't a massive open sandbox experience (which makes it a false dichotomy), is doing both the game and the word a terrible disservice.

I suppose it depends on what you class as a side quest... I considered those in Dishonored to be more optional objectives than side quests

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2013, 08:50 AM
(19-12-2013 12:29 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I suppose it depends on what you class as a side quest... I considered those in Dishonored to be more optional objectives than side quests

Well, depending on how you choose to define them.

I'd call sparring Captain Curnow an optional objective. He's there as part of the main quest and you most likely will have to deal with him one way or another in your path to eliminating High Overseer Campbell. It's not crucial to completing the mission, but it does have consequences directly tied to the primary objective. Likewise not crashing the Lady Boyle's party, or retrieving your gear from the flooded district, would fall under this same heading.

Going off of the beaten path and helping Granny Rags or Slackjaw, those I would classify as side quests. They are entirely independent of the main objective at the time and can be entirely missed without affecting the primary goal for the mission. Likewise saving Berthold and Elsa from Overseer's, or Griff from street thugs, I would consider a side quest.

By the way, full disclosure, I went to college for Video-Game Art & Design at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Big Grin

20-12-2013, 04:57 PM
I must be getting old or I've been playing games for too long. I'm surprised the thread made it to post #66 with not one mention of Thief. There were many helpful comparisons here, notably Deus Ex. But, with the Steampunk, magic, and stealth emphasis, when I first played Dishonored I was immediately reminded of Thief (which I played to *death*), which made me giddy as hell. I did thoroughly enjoy it.

I also could swear I placed some voice talent from Thief in Dishonored. A guard's voice that was unmistakeable. I'll have to go back and play it again.

I tried and failed to complete the game with no killing. I was very careful where I placed unconscious bodies, but one must have fallen into water or something (do unconscious people really not wake up when they fall into water? really?).

So, those here who managed to complete with no killing, did you also avoid knocking anyone unconscious? Avoiding that would definitely make this game a time-consuming challenge.

I also really enjoyed the artistry in Dishonored. Very well done.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
21-12-2013, 03:11 AM
They are both very diffrent play styles, and not to mention storywise as well. It all comes down to preference, really. Do you prefer being able to stab people and use magic for revenge or slay dragons and go on adventures through an immersive world.... it's all just what you prefer. In my opinion, the real winner is what you believe, really.

"How can one be an atheist if he is constantly praying for redemption"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2013, 06:53 AM
(20-12-2013 04:57 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  So, those here who managed to complete with no killing, did you also avoid knocking anyone unconscious? Avoiding that would definitely make this game a time-consuming challenge.

I also really enjoyed the artistry in Dishonored. Very well done.

Nope, knocked plenty of people out. Just have to be careful that they don't fall to their death, drown, or at attacked by weepers and rats.

I managed to complete the main campaign without being detected (Ghost and Shadow achievements) in addition to not killing anyone (Clean Hands). I also managed it for the Knife of Dunwall DLC (Whisper Ways and Cleaner Hands), but I've yet to get and play through the Brigmore Witches DLC as of yet.

As for Theif, I loved those games. They just haven't had a recent iteration like Deus Ex (it's also a PC dominated series, only 2004's 'Deadly Shadows' made it to the original Xbox), so I didn't think to use them for comparison.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-12-2013, 09:30 AM
(21-12-2013 06:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Nope, knocked plenty of people out. Just have to be careful that they don't fall to their death, drown, or at attacked by weepers and rats.

I managed to complete the main campaign without being detected (Ghost and Shadow achievements) in addition to not killing anyone (Clean Hands). I also managed it for the Knife of Dunwall DLC (Whisper Ways and Cleaner Hands), but I've yet to get and play through the Brigmore Witches DLC as of yet.

I take it this was time consuming and involved a lot of reloading saved games? I know it will for me.

EDIT: FYI - That profile is private and won't allow me to view any info.

(21-12-2013 06:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As for Theif, I loved those games. They just haven't had a recent iteration like Deus Ex (it's also a PC dominated series, only 2004's 'Deadly Shadows' made it to the original Xbox), so I didn't think to use them for comparison.

They may be old, but there is a new prequel on the horizon which is looking pretty good from the trailers (http://www.thiefgame.com). The only thing that concerns me about it is the involvement of Square Enix. Then again, I did really enjoy the new Tomb Raider origin story. I see it will be available to both 360 and One.

I just thought the comparison was fitting. The similarities can be striking in many places. I may have to admit though that Dishonored is probably a better game, but it was following in a lot of footsteps laid down much earlier.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum