Disillusioning Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Disillusioning Christians
Lately I've been making FB posts posing questions to my Christian friends to get them to think. Am I wrong for this? Their faith seems harmless (besides the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands). But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people. Is there any justifiable reason to try & disillusion them?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DoubtingThomas's post
27-03-2017, 07:15 PM
RE: Disillusioning Christians
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Lately I've been making FB posts posing questions to my Christian friends to get them to think. Am I wrong for this? Their faith seems harmless (besides the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands). But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people. Is there any justifiable reason to try & disillusion them?

You've answered your own question, i.e. " they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
27-03-2017, 07:17 PM
(27-03-2017 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Lately I've been making FB posts posing questions to my Christian friends to get them to think. Am I wrong for this? Their faith seems harmless (besides the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands). But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people. Is there any justifiable reason to try & disillusion them?

You've answered your own question, i.e. " they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands".

This Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-03-2017, 08:09 PM
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Is there any justifiable reason to try & disillusion them?

The best reason to ask questions and get people to think is that others deprived them of their choices by training them to believe through social conditioning. For a freedom-loving society, we tolerate a lot of such nonsense.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 08:13 PM
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people.

Why do you say this?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-03-2017, 08:18 PM
I dunno. Friends with agendas--the ones who want to sell me something--don't stay friends of mine for long.

I don't believe that Christianity is harmless or that it makes believers better, more compassionate people.

However, think about all the drive-by Christians we get on here, the ones who believe that all we need is someone to ask us a few questions about morality or evolution or the meaning of life or Pascal's Wager and we'll see the error of our ways. Thinking that we've never heard any of these questions, when we encounter them almost daily. It's annoying when they do it, and if you're not careful or extremely good at it, it's annoying when you do something similar to your Christian friends, too.

I'm not saying never mention or share your beliefs, but I'd recommend that you let those conversations come around organically, not try to force them.
[+] 8 users Like julep's post
27-03-2017, 08:22 PM
It's also the right of every moron to believe the earth is flat....

Trying to convince them otherwise is scientifically sound, factually correct, and basically just a sensible thing to do.

It's the same dissuading them from the belief in their invisible, omnipotent buddy.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-03-2017, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 05:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people. Is there any justifiable reason to try & disillusion them?

Why are you friends with jerks who need religion to make them "more" compassionate.
As opposed to what ? Complete and total jerks ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-03-2017, 11:21 PM
(27-03-2017 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  You've answered your own question, i.e. " they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands".

Yes those are both negative things, but I guess what I'm asking is... is that enough reason to justify me crushing their whole faith? Why not just try to convince them that homosexuality isn't morally wrong or that women should be treated as equals? Why attack their whole faith instead?
27-03-2017, 11:42 PM
(27-03-2017 11:21 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  You've answered your own question, i.e. " they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands".

Yes those are both negative things, but I guess what I'm asking is... is that enough reason to justify me crushing their whole faith? Why not just try to convince them that homosexuality isn't morally wrong or that women should be treated as equals? Why attack their whole faith instead?

Why do you think you'll crush their faith? If they're anything like the kind of Christians I grew up around posting counter-arguments will make their faith stronger Dodgy

I personally don't evangelise, but I've kinda made it clear over the years that I'm an unbeliever. If people ask me about it, publicly or privately, I'll give them the details. My belief is that with this approach, people who're experiencing doubt will know that there's at least one other person who doesn't buy the Christ story, and can ask me at their own discretion about it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post