Disillusioning Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
RE: Disillusioning Christians
Welcome to TTA and ...

(03-07-2017 05:55 PM)nixfactor Wrote:  ...
In business management you learn a lot about aphorisms, acronyms, and other basic mechanisms for expressing and remembering complex principles. I've long considered the possibility that a loosely-organized, science-based, non-theistic social philosophy could become universal in a single human lifetime if we ever woke up to this fact.

Embracing the common human need for mythology, structure, and simplicity, we could create a positive, holistic framework for understanding the universe and morality. Science and philosophy, honest story-telling... what a fun project to undertake, now I think about it..

Marry me!

Bowing

The question is ... how to wake up the world to this fact?

Huh

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 12:22 AM
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Their faith seems harmless (besides the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands). But besides that, their faith makes them more compassionate people...

Um... those two claims are blatantly self-contradictory.

If one believs that married women are somehow inferior by virtue of their marriage, and that homosexuality is inherently wrong, then one is definitely not a "compassionate" person. Rather, one is bigoted, narrow-minded, chauvinistic, doctrinaire, intolerant, egocentric... ad nauseam.

Your use of the word "besides" in this instance is bizarre. Ohmy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-07-2017, 12:45 AM
(03-07-2017 05:55 PM)nixfactor Wrote:  As someone who was formerly very religious, I can tell you there are some wonderful people in the church who have definitely built their system of values and morals around their interpretation of biblical doctrine...

These sorts of people who build their personal ethics around the bible (or any "holy" book for that matter) are extremely adept at cherry picking.

Quote:I feel certain at this point in my life that it is in fact the structure and framework for the moral code, including and especially the story-telling and metaphorical aspects of it.

I have to disagree with this claim. There are in fact very few moral tenets contained in ancient holy books that apply to a modern society in their own right. You and I know innately that it's wrong to burn your neighbour's crop, or slaughter his cow, or sleep with his wife. Or, if you don't believe that, then no amount of biblical bullshit will change your attitude. I'm not sure what you mean by biblical story-telling acting as some sort of life guide; most in any/all holy books are fictional myths or fairy stories constructed to control the plebeians of the time. A malleable population is one easily controlled by the the privileged patrician class, which includes of course the church.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-07-2017, 12:53 AM
(03-07-2017 05:55 PM)nixfactor Wrote:  In business management you learn a lot about aphorisms, acronyms, and other basic mechanisms for expressing and remembering complex principles. I've long considered the possibility that a loosely-organized, science-based, non-theistic social philosophy could become universal in a single human lifetime if we ever woke up to this fact.

Weren't bolsheviks first to try such? Except for it not being loosely organized or having much science backing.

Quote:Embracing the common human need for mythology, structure, and simplicity, we could create a positive, holistic framework for understanding the universe and morality. Science and philosophy, honest story-telling... what a fun project to undertake, now I think about it..

So simple answers for complex question? I disagree - no need for more simplicity when television feeds people with enough of it. Similarly I see no need for mythology - religion is mythology but "need" for it is created by indoctrination.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-08-2017, 02:12 PM
(27-03-2017 07:00 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Lately I've been making FB posts posing questions to my Christian friends to get them to think. Am I wrong for this? Their faith seems harmless (besides the fact that they believe homosexuality is a sin & women are inferior to their husbands).

Different christian groups and cults have different views so they can't really all be tarred with the same brush, just as atheists have different views.
For example in the two points you raised, Jesus never said a word about GLBT's one way or the other, not a single word..Smile
And although catholics and some other cults don't like girls, that's not the case with other groups..Smile

Church of England women clergy-
[Image: women-clergy_zpsdoawacb2.jpg~original]
[+] 1 user Likes Propwash's post