Poll: Dislike function, now or in a couple days?
now
in a couple days
I wish I could dislike this thread right now.. Dodgy
[Show Results]

Dislike

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 11:15 AM
RE: Dislike
(23-06-2013 11:14 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Never because we really don't need such a pointless feature.

Not everyone shares your view.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Dislikes could add to a newcomers hesitancy to post. Hell, some people like to troll with dislikes on other forums. It's an easy way out for contributing to the forum. On the other hand, it's a form of expression that is on the same line as likes.

It's not pointless to some. What I would like to know is what motivates people to want it, and how they themselves would use the dislike button, if it were implemented. Also, how in the grand scheme of this idea, would the changes affect at all from what we already have on the forum.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Seems like overkill to me.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Muffs, you can just tell me how much you dislike my posts. Dont worry about a button Big Grin I'm a grown woman I can take it. Tongue

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
23-06-2013, 04:10 PM
No. The less youtube like this place is the better

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous
23-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm worried about the consequences of a dislike button.

Sure, it would be satisfying to see the posts of an obvious troll (like that creepy GothKid) slammed with "The following 30 people dislike this post." But the downside isn't worth it.

For one thing, there's the inhibition factor cts mentioned. But it's not just newbies. Even members who've been around a long time and might have something controversial to say could feel inhibited, because few people want to put stuff out there that gets a banner announcing to the world it's disliked.

And what about the effect on interpersonal relationships? This is, after all, a community. A "like" button has the potential of creating friends, even if that's not its intended function. Nothing wrong with good will. But a "dislike" button could do the opposite. We don't need to increase ill will and create enemies of each other.

Then there's the "fly-by" factor. Sometimes when I like a post I'll go on to reply and explain why. But often I'll just hit "Like," not say anything, and move on. Maybe I thought all the ideas in the post were great; maybe one small part of it particularly impressed me; maybe it was the display of wit; maybe the expression or organization; whatever. I don't feel the need to explain myself because what I did was positive. Hitting "Dislike," though, and just moving on strikes me as lazy and irresponsible. If you're going to slam someone publicly, the least you can do is explain why. I'm not sure everyone will be willing to do that.

And getting back to the trolls, what's going to stop them from disliking every post they come across, just for the hell of it?

A dislike button is a bad idea.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post
23-06-2013, 05:26 PM
How about a dislike emoticon? Takes more effort that way.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I am all in for a dislike button.

Firstly, it would show a clearer line as to what the community/forum thinks about such posts. It would show a clear divide and can strengthen the views of such users.

If people might feel threatened by posting controversial stuff, and getting the dislike button, what's the difference in posting it, and getting a negative reply? The dislike button is a simple way to express your opinion and show those where you stand on such a post, without the need of a reply.

Certainly, if the dislike button is pointless, then the like button is because I could simply tell the person how good that post is in a post of my own.

Basically, I'm totally for it.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
23-06-2013, 05:39 PM
(23-06-2013 10:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  so when is this getting implemented?

Pretty please?
[Image: pretty+please+cherry+on+top.jpg]

Dislike

See? And I didn't even need a button!

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-06-2013, 05:49 PM
*Superficial*

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.