Poll: Dislike function, now or in a couple days?
now
in a couple days
I wish I could dislike this thread right now.. Dodgy
[Show Results]

Dislike

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: Dislike
I came into this thread without any strong preference either way, I was leaning towards liking the idea, but not overly bothered.

Having read some of the arguments I think the best case by far is the one put forward by Cufflink. I think he's got a very good point that it could cause tension between members who take the giving of a 'dislike' personally, it could even lead to a dislike war between two or more members. I also agree that if you're gonna bash someone's argument, it's more constructive if you actually tell them why you're doing it than just calling them out without giving your motive for doing so.

Therefore, I am against this idea.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
23-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Having a dislike button just creates more negativity and gets rid of discussion..

For example, the supplements thread. If I put effort into posting something and some asshole disagrees with me they can come along, be lazy and click dislike and run off. I'm ok with people disagreeing with me but have to balls to say it and explain yourself.

A likes button on the other hand is useful, you can do searches on a users most liked posts, etc...

A dislike button is intellectually lazy, blunt, and sloppy.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
24-06-2013, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 07:50 AM by earmuffs.)
I disagree that it get's rid of conversation.
The "like" button doesn't get rid of conversation.

Going off this forums tendency to reply to very little troll comment, if people dislike something they will still express their opinions via posting.
Just like how now people express their opinions via posting when they like something.

It's a weak argument to say it'd stop conversation IMO.

edit: I don't think I explained myself well.
If I go into a thread and see a comment I like, I might "like" it, but I wont respond. If we never had a like function, I still wouldn't respond.
That's what I think the dislike button will do. It gives those who wouldn't otherwise respond an opportunity to show their opinion.

Take some threads in the political section for example. We have like three people responding but I know for a fact more people read the thread and disliked what a person was saying but never responded.

Like another example, the amount of times I've read something and someone else has responded to them saying what I was thinking... I'm not then going to respond and say the exact same thing... But with a dislike button I could still express my dislike by disliking said original post.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
24-06-2013, 08:02 AM
(24-06-2013 07:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree that it get's rid of conversation.
The "like" button doesn't get rid of conversation.

Going off this forums tendency to reply to very little troll comment, if people dislike something they will still express their opinions via posting.
Just like how now people express their opinions via posting when they like something.

It's a weak argument to say it'd stop conversation IMO.

edit: I don't think I explained myself well.
If I go into a thread and see a comment I like, I might "like" it, but I wont respond. If we never had a like function, I still wouldn't respond.
That's what I think the dislike button will do. It gives those who wouldn't otherwise respond an opportunity to show their opinion.

Take some threads in the political section for example. We have like three people responding but I know for a fact more people read the thread and disliked what a person was saying but never responded.

Like another example, the amount of times I've read something and someone else has responded to them saying what I was thinking... I'm not then going to respond and say the exact same thing... But with a dislike button I could still express my dislike by disliking said original post.

I didn't say there are relevant uses for a dislike button. I'm just saying it will be used more negatively..

Have a look at youtube comments voting. The like and dislike system is totally based on whether or not someone agrees with your opinion. Not on the post itself. It's rubbish.

It would make the forum a hostile place for any non-mainstream opinions.

If you want to dislike a post the lazy way without posting you can simply like a post that is replying to that post and destroys the argument. I've done that heaps! I've seen you do it also.

That way the forum stays more positive and there is no need to add another system.

Bee +ive

[Image: beepos800.jpg]

24-06-2013, 08:52 AM
One argument for the 'Dislike' button is that it would likely cut down on troll feeding.

Instead of having multiple response posts that make it appear as useful engagement, the 'Dislike' function would replace most of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-06-2013, 09:27 AM
(24-06-2013 08:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  One argument for the 'Dislike' button is that it would likely cut down on troll feeding.

Instead of having multiple response posts that make it appear as useful engagement, the 'Dislike' function would replace most of them.

Maybe instead of a dislike button we have a "troll post" or "dickhead" button, and an option to hide troll posts in the user options area.

Once enough users mark a post as a troll post it shows on the UI differently somehow.

I'll leave it to you to write the code Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
24-06-2013, 09:38 AM
(24-06-2013 08:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  One argument for the 'Dislike' button is that it would likely cut down on troll feeding.

The problem with it being used on trolls though is that means the trolls can also use it at will. If a troll goes through and starts disliking posts en masse people aren't gonna be happy, and I'm not wasting my time (or asking Deep to waste his time) removing dislikes that people feel have been giving unfairly. To be honest, if we did have a dislike button I'd be staunchly against removing any dislikes, even those given in spite by trolls. It's very easy to say that we should remove them but far harder to decide where to draw the line.

The more I think about this the more issues I can see it raising, for very limited benefit.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-06-2013, 09:58 AM
If such thing (which I hope doesn't) gets made a reality, in our posts would it then say...

Like given.
Likes received.
Dislikes given.
Dislikes received.

Caus really they are all just numbers aren't they. Unless (in my humble unasked for opinion) you are somewhat *superficial*.

Here's another suggestion im gonna throw out. Why not instead of adding a dislike button we remove the Like button? Maybe it would spur people to add to the conversation more?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
24-06-2013, 10:18 AM
(24-06-2013 09:27 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  

Maybe instead of a dislike button we have a "troll post" or "dickhead" button, and an option to hide troll posts in the user options area.

Once enough users mark a post as a troll post it shows on the UI differently somehow.

Actually I like this idea better.
"Spam"
And then when say 10 people mark it as "Spam" it gets minimized or something.

I don't have anyone on ignore so I don't know how it works, but as I understand it, if you have someone on ignore their posts show up in some minimized form that you can expand to read.

It'd work basically just like that, but be global.

I don't know if it'd work though. But it's an idea none the less.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
24-06-2013, 10:24 AM
(24-06-2013 10:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 09:27 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Maybe instead of a dislike button we have a "troll post" or "dickhead" button, and an option to hide troll posts in the user options area.

Actually I like this idea better.
"Spam"
And then when say 10 people mark it as "Spam" it gets minimized or something.

I don't have anyone on ignore so I don't know how it works, but as I understand it, if you have someone on ignore their posts show up in some minimized form that you can expand to read.

It'd work basically just like that, but be global.

I don't know if it'd work though. But it's an idea none the less.

I dont want a herd mentality deciding what is spam or not for me so I have to "maximise" certain posts. I would rather make my own mind up thanks.

It sounds like a way to hinder the free speech on this forum.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.