Poll: Dislike function, now or in a couple days?
now
in a couple days
I wish I could dislike this thread right now.. Dodgy
[Show Results]

Dislike

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 10:28 AM
RE: Dislike
(24-06-2013 10:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 10:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Actually I like this idea better.
"Spam"
And then when say 10 people mark it as "Spam" it gets minimized or something.

I don't have anyone on ignore so I don't know how it works, but as I understand it, if you have someone on ignore their posts show up in some minimized form that you can expand to read.

It'd work basically just like that, but be global.

I don't know if it'd work though. But it's an idea none the less.

I dont want a herd mentality deciding what is spam or not for me so I have to "maximise" certain posts. I would rather make my own mind up thanks.

It sounds like a way to hinder the free speech on this forum.

Hinder free speech?
I think having a like function and not having a dislike function to counter that hinders free speech.
It's saying, I can be positive and like something, but I can't be negative and dislike something.

I know you're not for or against a dislike button (or ateast haven't expressed an opinion), I'm just offering an argument.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I would like to suggest a [Disgusted] button. If one needs to be negative about a post - might as well mean it. No sense in not going all the way and taking responsibility for it.

It wouldn't really be a Dislike it'd be more of a - I've read what you've said and it makes me feel like shit - commentary, all in one spot. Lazy, yes - but with a troll, I might prefer to simply voice my disgust without further engagement.

It adds personal responsibility [your shit has effected me] and doesn't suggest to anyone else that it might be spam. I don't think it has to trigger anything like Muff's Spam button idea of minimizing - I like to judge things for myself - I think it's enough that people notice the amount of Disgusted views.

Like anything, I'm sure it will be abused, possibly to become a badge of honor. But the reflexive nature of personally being disgusted will at least cause people to take responsibility rather, than just frivolously disliking something.

Just an idea to toss on the heap. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-06-2013, 11:25 AM
(24-06-2013 11:19 AM)kim Wrote:  I would like to suggest a [Disgusted] button. If one needs to be negative about a post - might as well mean it. No sense in not going all the way and taking responsibility for it.

It wouldn't really be a Dislike it'd be more of a - I've read what you've said and it makes me feel like shit - commentary, all in one spot. Lazy, yes - but with a troll, I might prefer to simply voice my disgust without further engagement.

It adds personal responsibility [your shit has effected me] and doesn't suggest to anyone else that it might be spam. I don't think it has to trigger anything like Muff's Spam button idea of minimizing - I like to judge things for myself - I think it's enough that people notice the amount of Disgusted views.

Like anything, I'm sure it will be abused, possibly to become a badge of honor. But the reflexive nature of personally being disgusted will at least cause people to take responsibility rather, than just frivolously disliking something.

It still leaves the problem of when someone like FZU turns up and clicks 'disgusted' on 2000 posts. There's gonna be a huge shitstorm of people wanted that removed from their posts.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-06-2013, 11:29 AM
When people unregister or are banned, their given rep disappears or at least, there is a line through their name - I've notice the line is there even on the "likes" they've given.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-06-2013, 11:31 AM
(24-06-2013 11:25 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 11:19 AM)kim Wrote:  I would like to suggest a [Disgusted] button. If one needs to be negative about a post - might as well mean it. No sense in not going all the way and taking responsibility for it.

It still leaves the problem of when someone like FZU turns up and clicks 'disgusted' on 2000 posts. There's gonna be a huge shitstorm of people wanted that removed from their posts.

Really cause everyone with a FZU neg rep treats it like a badge of honor and laugh about it. As for the dislike button I am indifferent leaning slightly towards the negative. At worst it could (perhaps) stifle conversation but honestly in threads by known trolls (I&I for example) after awhile they just get ignored or are a few AD Hom attacks and the topic is never even discussed. As for the spam thing I always have to click it to see what they said that was so bad, it's like an ocd tick Smile .

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-06-2013, 11:33 AM
(24-06-2013 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  When people unregister or are banned, their given rep disappears or at least, there is a line through their name - I've notice the line is there even on the "likes" they've given.

Most trolls don't get unregistered or banned though, they flare up for a few days then get bored and leave.

Besides, if there is a list on people's profile of how many 'disgusted's have been given to them they people won't always see where they've come from. They'll just see "username - x disgusteds received".

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-06-2013, 11:36 AM
(24-06-2013 11:31 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Really cause everyone with a FZU neg rep treats it like a badge of honor and laugh about it.

I had several requests from people wanting negs from FZU removed when he got banned. That was when they had one neg, the situation if someone had been given many dislikes would be way worse. Plus, I've seen people give tit-for-tat negs on here before, it can never escalate because there are limits on how many rep can be given. If there was a dislike war then two people could literally give each other thousands.

Best
Worst
24-06-2013, 12:18 PM
So put a limit on it?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
24-06-2013, 12:22 PM
(24-06-2013 11:36 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 11:31 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Really cause everyone with a FZU neg rep treats it like a badge of honor and laugh about it.

I had several requests from people wanting negs from FZU removed when he got banned. That was when they had one neg, the situation if someone had been given many dislikes would be way worse. Plus, I've seen people give tit-for-tat negs on here before, it can never escalate because there are limits on how many rep can be given. If there was a dislike war then two people could literally give each other thousands.

You can only like/dislike a post once, so where does 'thousands' come from?

Someone with neg rep can't rep, so they shouldn't be allowed to like/dislike.

I really don't see a big downside.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 12:26 PM
(24-06-2013 12:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can only like/dislike a post once, so where does 'thousands' come from?

Someone with neg rep can't rep, so they shouldn't be allowed to like/dislike.

I really don't see a big downside.

The thousands come from the fact that people may only be able to dislike a post once, but they can do it to every post someone makes. There are members I can totally imagine would do that to each other given the chance.

Best
Worst