Poll: Dislike function, now or in a couple days?
now
in a couple days
I wish I could dislike this thread right now.. Dodgy
[Show Results]

Dislike

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 12:30 PM
RE: Dislike
(24-06-2013 12:26 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 12:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can only like/dislike a post once, so where does 'thousands' come from?

Someone with neg rep can't rep, so they shouldn't be allowed to like/dislike.

I really don't see a big downside.

The thousands come from the fact that people may only be able to dislike a post once, but they can do it to every post someone makes. There are members I can totally imagine would do that to each other given the chance.

And like neg rep, it would be a badge of honour from those people.Thumbsup

I would be proud to have my post disliked by PleaseJesus, ralphellis, I and I, Egor, or any other dingbat, fundie ideologue, or woo mush head.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Fuck it. I want the full gamut. I no longer wish to converse with people. From this point forward I demand that there is a button for every conceivable reaction I may have to a post. I simply want to select from a group of buttons. That way, I can avoid conversation completely, and thus never be challenged.

Look, the Like button serves a purpose. It prevents a bunch of posts that say, "ya! Me too!"
That's because when you agree with someone, there really isn't much more to say. It's when peoples opinions differ that creates discussion. When I agree with someone, there's no explanation necessary. Thus, the like button. However, when I disagree, there is a potential discussion, and therefore, a response is warranted.

Leave well enough alone.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-06-2013, 01:10 PM
(24-06-2013 01:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fuck it. I want the full gamut. I no longer wish to converse with people. From this point forward I demand that there is a button for every conceivable reaction I may have to a post. I simply want to select from a group of buttons. That way, I can avoid conversation completely, and thus never be challenged.

Look, the Like button serves a purpose. It prevents a bunch of posts that say, "ya! Me too!"
That's because when you agree with someone, there really isn't much more to say. It's when peoples opinions differ that creates discussion. When I agree with someone, there's no explanation necessary. Thus, the like button. However, when I disagree, there is a potential discussion, and therefore, a response is warranted.

Leave well enough alone.

Just give stark a weed button that'll make him happy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
24-06-2013, 01:18 PM
(24-06-2013 01:10 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Just give stark a weed button that'll make him happy.

I would like a [Weed] button. Actually... that's preferable to a [Disgusted] button and certainly better than a [Dislike] button.

I vote we implement a [Weed] button immediately and call it a day and a job well done. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
24-06-2013, 01:23 PM
(24-06-2013 01:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fuck it. I want the full gamut. I no longer wish to converse with people. From this point forward I demand that there is a button for every conceivable reaction I may have to a post. I simply want to select from a group of buttons. That way, I can avoid conversation completely, and thus never be challenged.

Leave well enough alone.

And the Dislike button prevents a bunch of posts that say "Yah, fuck you" and "Troll" and "you're an idiot".
If someone has an actual, substantive disagreement, it will get posted.

I say we add a Dislike button and see how it goes. The sky won't fall, the universe won't rupture, silence won't descend on the forum.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-06-2013, 01:49 PM
(24-06-2013 01:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  And the Dislike button prevents a bunch of posts that say "Yah, fuck you" and "Troll" and "you're an idiot".

I doubt that will happen. You cannot guarantee this either.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
24-06-2013, 02:08 PM
I like the like/unlike feature for the times that I accidentally hit like instead of reply. I think it's a good thing.

I don't have the energy to go back and unlike posts by certain people or about certain things. I see it as a pretty immediate fix of a simple mouse click error.

Beyond that, most of us are pretty good with using our words to let people know what we think...if you feel strongly enough about something you dislike you are most likely going to post something not just poke a button.

Damn, everybody, take a pill already.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-06-2013, 02:17 PM

A capital idea. Here's a start--but only a start.

[ ] YES! EXACTLY! Couldn’t have said it better myself!

[ ] Pretty good, although not your best.

[ ] Not as bad as your usual garbage.

[ ] Meh. Whatever.

[ ] Didn’t get much sleep last night, huh?

[ ] You have clearly lost your mind.

[ ] I fart in your general direction.

[ ] Troll! Troll! Troll!

[ ] Use a spell checker, dammit!

[ ] Needs more Gwynnies.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
24-06-2013, 03:02 PM
(24-06-2013 01:49 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 01:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  And the Dislike button prevents a bunch of posts that say "Yah, fuck you" and "Troll" and "you're an idiot".

I doubt that will happen. You cannot guarantee this either.

I am not guaranteeing anything.
My unsupported assertion carries the same weight as Stark's unsupported assertion.Drinking Beverage

24-06-2013, 03:05 PM
(24-06-2013 02:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I like the like/unlike feature for the times that I accidentally hit like instead of reply. I think it's a good thing.

I don't have the energy to go back and unlike posts by certain people or about certain things. I see it as a pretty immediate fix of a simple mouse click error.

Beyond that, most of us are pretty good with using our words to let people know what we think...if you feel strongly enough about something you dislike you are most likely going to post something not just poke a button.

Damn, everybody, take a pill already.

[ ] YES! EXACTLY! Couldn’t have said it better myself!
[ ] Pretty good, although not your best.
[ ] Not as bad as your usual garbage.
[ ] Meh. Whatever.
[ ] Didn’t get much sleep last night, huh?
[ ] You have clearly lost your mind.
[x] I fart in your general direction.
[ ] Troll! Troll! Troll!
[ ] Use a spell checker, dammit!
[ ] Needs more Gwynnies.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post