Disney's Chimpanzees (2012)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Disney's Chimpanzees (2012)
I happened upon a complete online version of the Disney Nature film Chimpanzees (2012). I must say it is a cute movie that everybody should watch, especially those of the theist persuasion who look at our close cousins as somehow being base or inferior to us. I remember hearing lots of surprised gasps from the people sitting around me in the movie theater when I originally took my niece and nephew. I could tell the movie really opened their eyes. This is not a scientific nature documentary, but I feel there is enough social interactions and tool use to qualify this being posted in the science forum. Check it out when you've got 72 minutes to kill.

http://vimeo.com/49512487
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
15-05-2014, 11:35 PM
RE: Disney's Chimpanzees (2012)
It is a lovely film, I saw it a couple years ago. Really enjoyable.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2014 12:37 PM by DLJ.)
Fucking biased narrative!

Lovely Freddie and Oscar vs. SCAR! and his THUGS.

Nature (and especially Disney) programs have a cringe-worthy habit of anthropomorphisationalisms... this one is forgivable though.

Thumbsup Nice find. Thanks.

btw, I'd seen the monkey-kill bit before on an Attenborough program... un-edited.
Disney obviously are more squeamish than the BBC about watching a monkey's face being chewed off Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-05-2014, 03:18 AM
(16-05-2014 02:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Disney obviously are more squeamish than the BBC about watch a monkey's face being chewed off Smile

Disney are just being careful - you wanna deal with the parents when ickle kiddie poo starts tearing people's faces off after watching *your* movie?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2014 09:47 AM by ghostexorcist.)
(16-05-2014 02:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Fucking biased narrative!

Lovely Freddie and Oscar vs. SCAR! and his THUGS.

Nature (and especially Disney) programs have a cringe-worthy habit of anthropomorphisationalisms... this one is forgivable though.

Thumbsup Nice find. Thanks.

btw, I'd seen the monkey-kill bit before on an Attenborough program... un-edited.
Disney obviously are more squeamish than the BBC about watching a monkey's face being chewed off Smile

A lot of Disney films follow the "us vs them" formula; the conflict between the two groups fits into the equation. Then again, some chimpanzees really are villains. Take the now deceased alpha male of the Gombe community "F" group, Frodo (1976-2013). His brother Freud, the former alpha male, ruled with confidence and formed relationships with even the lowest male. Frodo, on the other hand, ruled through an iron fist, beating up anything and anyone who got in his way (both chimp and human, the latter including Jane Goodall). You can read about him here.

http://blog.michael-lawrence-wilson.com/...mber-2013/

One thing the blog post doesn't mention is that he once ate a human baby. Granted, the baby shouldn't have been there--a park rule forbid babies in the area--and he probably thought it was a monkey, but it's still one of his more unsavory acts. See page 26 in this document.

http://mahale.main.jp/PAN/9_2/PAN9%282%29.pdf

By the way, I've seen that video of the monkey getting eaten. Very disturbing. I think Disney did the right thing to include it in the film, but not show the actual death. There would have been lots of traumatized youngsters for sure. That sequence shows that meat makes up a small part of their diet, which dispels the idea that all they eat is bananas, and that they cooperate in hunts.
19-05-2014, 09:17 AM
I haven't seen the film, but you reminded me of something I saw on a trip to a zoo with my kids 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't chimpanzees though, it was apes. There were 5 apes. One was sitting at the front and 4 others were sitting facing the one ape at the front. It looked just like a classroom situation where the one at the front was teaching the others. I thought it was very cool to see.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
22-05-2014, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2014 08:04 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(15-05-2014 10:03 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I could tell the movie really opened their eyes.

I had my material grandmother watch the film...

She is an extremely religious woman who quotes from the bible extensively. However, she's never said an anti-evolution comment that I know of. This is most likely because she's never heard of the concept--she grew up in the boonies of Kentucky and only attended school until the 8th grade because she had to help raise the younger siblings in her large nuclear family. This is probably also because she doesn't attend church, meaning she wouldn't have come into contact with the anti-evolution crowd.

...I'm happy to say that she was blown away by just how human the chimps are. She said the following: "I can't believe all of the stuff they know how to do (referring to the tool use (like nut cracking) and cooperative hunting)!" I replied by telling her that that is why I like to study them. And this is why I think the film should be required viewing in churches. It's a good stepping stone to science documentaries because the "humanness" of our cousins would make at least one or two parishioners doubt the anti-evolution propaganda.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post