Disproving Gravity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Disproving Gravity
I know that Newton's laws of gravity have since been replaced by Einsteins theory of relativity, but I just wanted to share this little tid bit of information since I worked so hard on it. ( I did a little experiment myself Big Grin)

First I will demonstrate the gravitational attractive between the Sun and the Moon. Since the moons distance from the sun changes, I used the closest it could possibly get (during a solar eclipse). I am sure you all know the equation for universal gravity, but if you do not, then here is the formula:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation

(1.9 x 10^30)(7.3 x 10^22) / 8.603 x 10^15

1.387 x 10^53 / 8.603 x 10^15

Solve this and you get 1.6 * 10^39. Multiply this by the gravitational constant and yo get the force. I will omit this purely for simplicity, and it would not effect which one is larger than the other anyway.

Now for the force between the Earth and Moon.

(5.9724 x 10^24)(7.3 x 10^22) / 6.250 x 10^10

I'll save you the steps, multiply this out and you get 6.8 x 10^38.

Clearly the force according to Newtons Law is stronger between the SUn and the Moon than between the Earth and the Moon. This suggest that the Moon should go towards the sun, or go around the sun, at least, not around the Earth.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2010, 03:33 PM

RE: Disproving Gravity
(16-12-2010 03:16 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I know that Newton's laws of gravity have since been replaced by Einsteins theory of relativity, but I just wanted to share this little tid bit of information since I worked so hard on it. ( I did a little experiment myself Big Grin)

First I will demonstrate the gravitational attractive between the Sun and the Moon. Since the moons distance from the sun changes, I used the closest it could possibly get (during a solar eclipse). I am sure you all know the equation for universal gravity, but if you do not, then here is the formula:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation

(1.9 x 10^30)(7.3 x 10^22) / 8.603 x 10^15

1.387 x 10^53 / 8.603 x 10^15

Solve this and you get 1.6 * 10^39. Multiply this by the gravitational constant and yo get the force. I will omit this purely for simplicity, and it would not effect which one is larger than the other anyway.

Now for the force between the Earth and Moon.

(5.9724 x 10^24)(7.3 x 10^22) / 6.250 x 10^10

I'll save you the steps, multiply this out and you get 6.8 x 10^38.

Clearly the force according to Newtons Law is stronger between the SUn and the Moon than between the Earth and the Moon. This suggest that the Moon should go towards the sun, or go around the sun, at least, not around the Earth.

Well, wouldn't this rely on the assumption that the moon stayed at perihelion forever?

I'm no physics major or anything, but I'm sure inertia and rotational velocities and centripetal force and whatnot also have something to do with it. Physics is never as simple as one equation.

By the way, the moon is steadily moving away from the earth. I don't know. I think we need a professional explanation for this.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TruthAddict's post
16-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:This suggest that the Moon should go towards the sun, or go around the sun, at least, not around the Earth.

...the moon DOES go around the sun. While also sub-orbiting earth due to its centripetal and counterbalancing centrifugal forces.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
16-12-2010, 07:00 PM
(16-12-2010 04:27 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
Quote:This suggest that the Moon should go towards the sun, or go around the sun, at least, not around the Earth.

...the moon DOES go around the sun. While also sub-orbiting earth due to its centripetal and counterbalancing centrifugal forces.

You know what I meant, lol.

Look the point is science has already disproved Newton's Law of Universal Gravity and now his equation is only used for a rough estimate.

I was just "following up" on it if you will.

Fight the system,

16-12-2010, 08:30 PM

(16-12-2010 07:00 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 04:27 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

You know what I meant, lol.

Look the point is science has already disproved Newton's Law of Universal Gravity and now his equation is only used for a rough estimate.

I was just "following up" on it if you will.

Disproven? On the contrary. General Relativity only explains how universal gravitation works. The inverse square relationship still holds as true as today as it did in the 17th century.
16-12-2010, 08:39 PM
No, no. Now it is only used to acquire a rough estimate. To get a more accurate reading scientists use general relativity

Fight the system,

16-12-2010, 08:47 PM

(16-12-2010 08:39 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  No, no. Now it is only used to acquire a rough estimate. To get a more accurate reading scientists use general relativity

Only in cases with time dilation or other weird effects of velocities and accelerations approaching the speed of light or extremely powerful gravitational fields like around black holes. Otherwise, in everyday cases, the results are indistinguishable.
17-12-2010, 11:38 AM
(16-12-2010 03:33 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  By the way, the moon is steadily moving away from the earth. I don't know. I think we need a professional explanation for this.

I have also read that somewhere. But if the moon moves away from the earth doesn't that mean that it receives less force from the earths spin, causing it to decelerate and thus move "fall" towards the earth again?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
17-12-2010, 12:35 PM
(16-12-2010 08:47 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 08:39 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  No, no. Now it is only used to acquire a rough estimate. To get a more accurate reading scientists use general relativity

Only in cases with time dilation or other weird effects of velocities and accelerations approaching the speed of light or extremely powerful gravitational fields like around black holes. Otherwise, in everyday cases, the results are indistinguishable.

Which helps further my point. Newton's idea of gravity didn't accurately describe how gravity worked in those scenarios, Einstein's does. I am not saying Newton was wrong entirely, like I said his Law of Universal Gravity can still be used to get a rough estimate. I am simply saying that when a law or theory doesn't fully explain how something works then a new model has to be put into effect. For example, the Bohr Model of the Atom didn't fully explain the arrangement of electrons, or answer the question "why don't the electrons fall into the nucleus?". For this reason, the Quantum Mechanics Model was put into place because it more accurately defines the atom, just like relativity more accurately describes gravitation.

Fight the system,

17-12-2010, 02:19 PM
(17-12-2010 11:38 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  I have also read that somewhere. But if the moon moves away from the earth doesn't that mean that it receives less force from the earths spin, causing it to decelerate and thus move "fall" towards the earth again?

I don't think that is the case because that would be part of the equasion. The moon's distance would vary. Wha is happening, based on what I have read, is that the moon is slowly moving away and will one day escape earth's orbit. This will not be for millions of years so mankind may not be around to see it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gravity visualized ghostexorcist 14 180 30-04-2014 09:14 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Gravity waves from the Big Bang Bucky Ball 53 1,176 21-03-2014 08:58 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  The Truth About Gravity (Hilarious) Althaen 4 237 15-09-2013 11:46 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
Lightbulb How I think of gravity! UndercoverAtheist 9 288 06-07-2013 10:37 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  Science disproving Miracles question Citizen_Atheist 12 1,324 11-04-2013 05:11 AM
Last Post: Aseptic Skeptic
Star If a planet has 7x the Earth's mass, does that mean it has 7x the Earth's gravity? PoolBoyG 18 1,432 15-11-2012 10:31 PM
Last Post: Janus
  Understanding Gravity? pppgggr 11 618 19-05-2012 12:15 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor