Disproving Job 26:7 as divine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Disproving Job 26:7 as divine
Job 26:7 references the Earth being "hung upon nothing" and claims that God stretched out the North over empty space [or desolation] which could refer to the Bootes Void.

I've been trying to find proof that the author of Job had access to knowledge of advanced astronomy, thereby negating the argument that the author was divinely inspired.

Is anyone aware of any proof that such knowledge was available to the author of Job up to the 4th century B.C.?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: Disproving Job 26:7 as divine
(12-04-2015 03:35 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Job 26:7 references the Earth being "hung upon nothing" and claims that God stretched out the North over empty space [or desolation] which could refer to the Bootes Void.

I've been trying to find proof that the author of Job had access to knowledge of advanced astronomy, thereby negating the argument that the author was divinely inspired.

Is anyone aware of any proof that such knowledge was available to the author of Job up to the 4th century B.C.?

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Drinking Beverage

You do not need astronomy to explain a bit of fiction based on earlier myths borrowed for other pre-existing stories which then later people attempt to cram into a post-hoc rationalization.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
12-04-2015, 04:17 AM
There's no need to try and disprove that the book is divinely inspired. That is an unfalsifiable and therefor useless claim.

A book being right about a few things is not evidence for the whole book being true. At best it would be a mystery as to where the knowledge came from. But really there's nothing at all remarkable in the bible anyway.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
12-04-2015, 05:00 AM
(12-04-2015 03:35 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Job 26:7 references the Earth being "hung upon nothing" and claims that God stretched out the North over empty space [or desolation] which could refer to the Bootes Void.

The entire bible is a book of myth. Genesis has men popping out of dirt, women popping out of ribs, talking donkeys, talking snakes, talking bushes. It treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light.

Job is more of an argument against the morality of this fictional God character. It is basically justifying an abusive relationship. It puts Job as the victim who had no say or consent and puts him into property, lab rat status.

Age arguments of any religion is what all all religions argue. I have seen Jews and Buddhists and Hindus justify age as making them the "first" so "therefore". It does not work.

Nothing written back that far by any religion has any value in our modern knowledge. Humans had no way of knowing the nature of reality and religion was the gap filling everyone did to make sense of the world around them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
12-04-2015, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 05:20 AM by Alex K.)
The earth isn't hung up anywhere. Whoever wrote that passage obviously didn't know that there is no gravity in space that would let the earth fall "down" such that it needed hanging. Pretty lame for God's word.

It's so vague and even inaccurate in its vagueness that it needs no disproving.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
12-04-2015, 05:18 AM

You're going about this wrong. The claim that any of it was divinely inspired needs proving.

And that passage could mean almost anything - you are giving it a meaning not inherent in it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-04-2015, 05:30 AM
(12-04-2015 05:10 AM)Alex K Wrote:  The earth isn't hung up anywhere. Whoever wrote that passage obviously didn't know that there is no gravity in space that would let the earth fall "down" such that it needed hanging. Pretty lame for God's word.

It's so vague and even inaccurate in its vagueness that it needs no disproving.

This is why with ALL religions I find arguing age and real people or real places peppered in books of myth useless. It allows the believer to drag you into their comic books.

We know for example George Washington existed, but no sane person would go around claiming he could fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass.

The Bible, Koran, OT, Vedas, Baga Gavitias, and even without a deity, Buddhist texts all merely reflect the societies and social norms of the times the religions were started. None of them reflect any modern knowledge of our natural reality.

ALL religions are a result of human gap filling. They are only productive in a sugar pill sense and create local social order. The downside to religion is that they all create value for the group which unfortunately pits the in group vs the out group. The natural reality is no matter what religion an individual may buy into we are still all DNA related and still the same species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
12-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Again and again I hear "hung upon nothing."
Earth is held in orbit by the Suns gravity. Gravity is not not nothing...
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
12-04-2015, 08:16 AM
(12-04-2015 08:07 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Again and again I hear "hung upon nothing."
Earth is held in orbit by the Suns gravity. Gravity is not not nothing...

So? The bible nor any holy book for that matter shows any modern demonstration of science AT ALL. The ancient Egyptians could point to the sun, but that did not mean they scientifically knew back then what it was made of.

The ancient Greeks invented the word "atom" but that didn't mean they had knowledge of protons, electrons or neutrons back then. Back then the word merely meant "the smallest thing you could not divide." It still had no modern knowledge.

This BS tactic has been employed by all the world's major religions. I have seen Muslims and Jews and Hindus point to their works and say "see, science matches my religion".

Nope, science does not prop up religion, it is completely religion independent.

12-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Nothing that humans wrote into the texts that eventually ended up in the collection of various texts now called "The Bible" had any knowledge that was not commonly circulating in the ancient Near East. There were many "pessimistic" texts written and Job is but one of many : http://claudemariottini.com/2012/03/05/t...near-east/
Hebrew cosmology (as evidenced in Genesis) is well known as very primitive, (ie the "vault of the heavens").

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.