Disproving Job 26:7 as divine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: Disproving Job 26:7 as divine
I see no need to disprove something that has never been proven.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-04-2015, 08:43 AM
The Hebrews simply stole their god Yahweh from prior polytheism and elevated a lesser god to the only god.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2015, 09:48 AM
(12-04-2015 08:16 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 08:07 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Again and again I hear "hung upon nothing."
Earth is held in orbit by the Suns gravity. Gravity is not not nothing...

So? The bible nor any holy book for that matter shows any modern demonstration of science AT ALL. The ancient Egyptians could point to the sun, but that did not mean they scientifically knew back then what it was made of.

The ancient Greeks invented the word "atom" but that didn't mean they had knowledge of protons, electrons or neutrons back then. Back then the word merely meant "the smallest thing you could not divide." It still had no modern knowledge.

This BS tactic has been employed by all the world's major religions. I have seen Muslims and Jews and Hindus point to their works and say "see, science matches my religion".

Nope, science does not prop up religion, it is completely religion independent.

Umm...yeah. That's what I was gettin at.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
12-04-2015, 10:02 AM
And actually I wasn't even saying that they even had an understanding on the same level as the Greeks and their atoms. I was point out the the Bible, as usual, is wrong.
12-04-2015, 11:09 AM
(12-04-2015 03:35 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Job 26:7 references the Earth being "hung upon nothing" and claims that God stretched out the North over empty space [or desolation] which could refer to the Bootes Void.

I've been trying to find proof that the author of Job had access to knowledge of advanced astronomy, thereby negating the argument that the author was divinely inspired.

Is anyone aware of any proof that such knowledge was available to the author of Job up to the 4th century B.C.?

I really hate this type of apologetic crap, all they're doing is interpreting a bible verse that uses vague terms and making it fit into modern science.
I would ask them to explain how this verse somehow reveals the force of gravity causing a curvature of spacetime that can bend trajectories of an object with mass into an elliptical orbit about a gravitational center.

The bible is not scientific, if it does not speak in definitive and precise terms to accurately describe cosmological phenomenon, then it cannot be reasonably considered to be saying anything relevant about cosmology or anything scientific. It must use precise terms that cannot have twenty different interpretations.

Or maybe I'd just say- "You're a fucking idiot and your book of fairy tales is fucking stupid."

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-04-2015, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 03:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-04-2015 03:35 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Job 26:7 references the Earth being "hung upon nothing" and claims that God stretched out the North over empty space [or desolation] which could refer to the Bootes Void.

I've been trying to find proof that the author of Job had access to knowledge of advanced astronomy, thereby negating the argument that the author was divinely inspired.

Is anyone aware of any proof that such knowledge was available to the author of Job up to the 4th century B.C.?

This is every bit as ridiculous as your question "Are there any eyewitness historical accounts that deny that Jesus had powers?"

(14-02-2015 04:41 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  Hey there! My name is Brenton. I'm a truth seeker by nature, and logic is my weapon of choice.

You might want to think about choosing a different weapon. Logic appears to be too unwieldy for you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Looks like a shit-and-run OP.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
http://www.ancient.eu/article/226/

Quote:he Ludlul-Bel-Nimeqi is a Babylonian poem which chronicles the lament of a good man suffering undeservedly. Also known as `The Poem of the Righteous Sufferer', the title translates as "I will praise the Lord of Wisdom". In the poem, Tabu-utul-Bel, age 52, an official of the city of Nippur, cries out that he has been afflicted with various pains and injustices and, asserting his own righteous behavior, asks why the gods should allow him to suffer so. In this, the poem treats the age old question of `why do bad things happen to good people' and the poem has thus been linked to the later Hebrew composition The Book of Job.

More shit stolen from the Sumerians.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post