Dissonance between criticizing god and "hail satan"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Dissonance between criticizing god and "hail satan"
Anyone else notice this?

Let's say you're poking fun at the scientific problems in the bible, or pointing out that god has a sadistic streak, or simply saying that god is as provable as the other gods they don't believe in.

The responses to this was ranging from "that's your opinion" to "you're just going to find your way to the light anyway."

Yet, when I bring in a "hail satan" in an obviously joking manner, the responses vary from "dude that makes me feel really uncomfortable" to "WHAT THE HELL?! YOU SAY YOU'RE SORRY TO GOD THIS INSTANT, I MEAN IT!"

I get the feeling that it's a case of "as long as you are not actively against me, you're okay" sorta deal, but what are your guys' thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
01-03-2014, 02:21 AM
RE: Dissonance between criticizing god and "hail satan"
My thoughts are, I need to say hail satan a lot more! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
How often does "Hail Satan" come up in your conversations?
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
(01-03-2014 08:00 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  How often does "Hail Satan" come up in your conversations?

Depends on the person. The more extreme response, the less it's said.
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
To them, Satan is a literal entity who is a literal incarnation of pure, unadulterated evil. All that is bad and wicked and vile and reprehensible is manifest in the form of the Devil. Who, again, they believe to be a literal entity.

Praising this literal incarnation of malevolence hits them at a visceral level like a blade of ice to the core of their being. It scares them.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2014, 12:31 AM
(03-03-2014 12:24 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  To them, Satan is a literal entity who is a literal incarnation of pure, unadulterated evil. All that is bad and wicked and vile and reprehensible is manifest in the form of the Devil. Who, again, they believe to be a literal entity.

Praising this literal incarnation of malevolence hits them at a visceral level like a blade of ice to the core of their being. It scares them.

This I know, it's just I don't understand why they don't respond in the same way when I say their deity is the bad guy.
03-03-2014, 12:44 AM
(03-03-2014 12:31 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 12:24 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  To them, Satan is a literal entity who is a literal incarnation of pure, unadulterated evil. All that is bad and wicked and vile and reprehensible is manifest in the form of the Devil. Who, again, they believe to be a literal entity.

This I know, it's just I don't understand why they don't respond in the same way when I say their deity is the bad guy.

Because you're a filthy heathen who is a puppet for Satan. They expect you to be a meanie about God. They know they're living in a spiritual war and God foretold that you'd be talking shit about him. That's no biggie.

Actively praising the evil one, though…that's just scary stuff.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Usually they save me trouble. As soon as I poke holes in their belief they accuse me of being the offspring of satan anyway
03-03-2014, 03:47 AM

Here in Bavaria people often greet each other by saying Grüß Gott (it means God's greetings to you). One day I might smile back at them nonchalantly and reply 'Hail Satan'.
03-03-2014, 04:18 AM
Saying, "hail the Goddess" or "oh my Goddess, praise be to the Goddess" has the same effect.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles