Distinguishing fantasy from reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: Distinguishing fantasy from reality
Religion lost me when they tried to tell me that Jonah really, really, really did get swallowed by a fish and lived to tell about it, no metaphor or parable. At 7 or 8 years old, even I knew what could and could not happen in the real world. To be an adult and swallow the obviously impossible boggles my mind.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
04-01-2014, 12:22 PM
(04-01-2014 08:48 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Religion lost me when they tried to tell me that Jonah really, really, really did get swallowed by a fish and lived to tell about it, no metaphor or parable. At 7 or 8 years old, even I knew what could and could not happen in the real world. To be an adult and swallow the obviously impossible boggles my mind.
The way i see is that they don't even want to consider the possibility that what they were brought up with was just a lie,so they just roll their eyes whenever they are confronted about their silly beliefs.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
04-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Distinguishing fantasy from reality
The whole Noah thing horrified me as a child. What kind of being would drown people and animals? What kind of story is that to tell a child? But he loves me? I already think the dudes gotta be an asshole and I was only SEVEN years old!
[+] 2 users Like hotnostril's post
04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
(04-01-2014 02:02 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I think saint Francis could talk to animals.

I used to talk to my dog all the time. He would wag his tail and just loved it. Although there were a few times it went like this:

[Image: 153603564_7281ad0588.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller