Distracted Driving (or why is THIS shit still legal??)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2015, 08:45 AM
RE: Distracted Driving (or why is THIS shit still legal??)
Not to mention hackers who will "crash your server" - and thus your ass --- just for the pure fuckery of it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-09-2015, 08:51 AM
(10-09-2015 08:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not to mention hackers who will "crash your server" - and thus your ass --- just for the pure fuckery of it...

And call me paranoid, but I won't use a vehicle that could be remotely operated and hijacked for whatever purpose. Kidnapping, murder, etc... and that's not even getting into the potential for governmental abuse of such power.

No thanks, I don't even like driving automatic transmission, a self driving car simply ain't happening.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-09-2015, 12:30 PM
(10-09-2015 08:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 08:23 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  This is why we need self-driving cars. There are a lot of problems with having computers drive cars, but humans are a thousand times worse!

I want a Tesla with Google self-driving technology. I will place my order the day they start taking orders.

The day I let a car drive for me is the day I let a sex toy have my orgasms.

(10-09-2015 08:43 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I work in IT, and I will be the first to tell you that I will have nothing to do with them for quite a long time.

Think of it this way. Whenever ANY software company releases new or updated software, there's a period of time where bugs that weren't discovered in testing appear. This is simply because it is impossible to account for all scenarios that the software might have to handle. When this happens on a PC, the worst case scenario is that your computer crashes and you lose some data.

Now, imagine that you're in your car travelling at 70mph and a glitch happens. You're screwed. Best case scenario is that your car shuts off and rolls to a stop wherever it may have been pointed last. Not bad if you're in your driveway, catastrophic if you're going around a corner at freeway speeds.

Yes, things can go wrong with a manual car that lead to catastrophic accidents, but all those are just added to the plethora of issues that having a non-sentient computer in control entail. A computer can/will only do what it is programmed to do. Anything beyond that programming is a mystery to it and computers don't handle mystery very well.

And with ALL the above, you're STILL safer in a self-driving car. Yes, computers glitch. Yes, you'd be screwed. But you're even more screwed when the bozo driving next to you is drunk.

A computer can take evasive action a gazillion times faster than a human. The logic of people who don't want a self-driving car for fear of computers is EXACTLY the same as the logic of people who won't get vaccinated because of fear of vaccines:

With a vaccine there's a one chance in a million you'll have a catastrophic reaction, but without the vaccine there's one chance in 100 you'll catch a catastrophic illness. You have to be an idiot not to recognize that while nothing is 100% foolproof, you're safer with the vaccine than without.

Same with self-driving cars: There WILL be glitches and accidents. But the fast reaction time of the computer will save you from far more accidents than the computer causes. And if you really think that you're such a good driver that you never make a mistake which could lead to an accident, then I don't want to be on the same road with you, because no matter how good a driver you think you are, you'll cause more accidents than a computer will. (As long as the computer is not running Windows!)

(10-09-2015 08:51 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 08:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Not to mention hackers who will "crash your server" - and thus your ass --- just for the pure fuckery of it...

And call me paranoid, but I won't use a vehicle that could be remotely operated and hijacked for whatever purpose. Kidnapping, murder, etc... and that's not even getting into the potential for governmental abuse of such power.

No thanks, I don't even like driving automatic transmission, a self driving car simply ain't happening.

This is Hollywood silliness. Batman hijacked by the Penguin. People who think they can drive better than a computer are dangerous!

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
(10-09-2015 12:30 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 08:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The day I let a car drive for me is the day I let a sex toy have my orgasms.

(10-09-2015 08:43 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I work in IT, and I will be the first to tell you that I will have nothing to do with them for quite a long time.

Think of it this way. Whenever ANY software company releases new or updated software, there's a period of time where bugs that weren't discovered in testing appear. This is simply because it is impossible to account for all scenarios that the software might have to handle. When this happens on a PC, the worst case scenario is that your computer crashes and you lose some data.

Now, imagine that you're in your car travelling at 70mph and a glitch happens. You're screwed. Best case scenario is that your car shuts off and rolls to a stop wherever it may have been pointed last. Not bad if you're in your driveway, catastrophic if you're going around a corner at freeway speeds.

Yes, things can go wrong with a manual car that lead to catastrophic accidents, but all those are just added to the plethora of issues that having a non-sentient computer in control entail. A computer can/will only do what it is programmed to do. Anything beyond that programming is a mystery to it and computers don't handle mystery very well.

And with ALL the above, you're STILL safer in a self-driving car. Yes, computers glitch. Yes, you'd be screwed. But you're even more screwed when the bozo driving next to you is drunk.

A computer can take evasive action a gazillion times faster than a human. The logic of people who don't want a self-driving car for fear of computers is EXACTLY the same as the logic of people who won't get vaccinated because of fear of vaccines:

With a vaccine there's a one chance in a million you'll have a catastrophic reaction, but without the vaccine there's one chance in 100 you'll catch a catastrophic illness. You have to be an idiot not to recognize that while nothing is 100% foolproof, you're safer with the vaccine than without.

Same with self-driving cars: There WILL be glitches and accidents. But the fast reaction time of the computer will save you from far more accidents than the computer causes. And if you really think that you're such a good driver that you never make a mistake which could lead to an accident, then I don't want to be on the same road with you, because no matter how good a driver you think you are, you'll cause more accidents than a computer will. (As long as the computer is not running Windows!)

(10-09-2015 08:51 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  And call me paranoid, but I won't use a vehicle that could be remotely operated and hijacked for whatever purpose. Kidnapping, murder, etc... and that's not even getting into the potential for governmental abuse of such power.

This is Hollywood silliness. Batman hijacked by the Penguin. People who think they can drive better than a computer are dangerous!

First, to your last point. No, it's not Hollywood silliness. It's fucking reality. It can happen right now. Read for yourself

Yeah, computers have a faster reaction time, but are terrible at making decisions that are not expressly programmed for. If something is not quite right, an human being can make a judgement call, a computer cannot.

Further, navigation. Just look at the trouble Apple had when they released maps and look at the incorrect things that are STILL in Google Maps. Google maps still insists that an overpass near my house is an on ramp, never was probably never will be.

Please, I've spent that last 20 years fixing and programming computers, I will not trust a computer program with my life for that very reason. I am all too aware of how easy it is for a glitch to happen in even the most stable software.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-09-2015, 01:24 PM
(10-09-2015 12:30 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  This is Hollywood silliness. Batman hijacked by the Penguin. People who think they can drive better than a computer are dangerous!

I'd rather trust my own judgement than that of some 20 year old programmer who's never been behind the wheel ---- and DON'T tell me seasoned drivers are going to be the ones doing the programming........

GIGO......

Besides -- you miss the whole point -- I LIKE driving -- and I'll keep doing it as long as I'm still breathing...... Hate to disappoint ya.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-09-2015, 01:32 PM
(10-09-2015 01:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 12:30 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  This is Hollywood silliness. Batman hijacked by the Penguin. People who think they can drive better than a computer are dangerous!

I'd rather trust my own judgement than that of some 20 year old programmer who's never been behind the wheel ---- and DON'T tell me seasoned drivers are going to be the ones doing the programming........

GIGO......

Besides -- you miss the whole point -- I LIKE driving -- and I'll keep doing it as long as I'm still breathing...... Hate to disappoint ya.....

Yeah, the joy of driving is another reason I'll never own one. Like I said, I don't even like driving automatic. I refuse to buy a car that isn't manual because the fun is not even comparable. I drive a shitty little Honda and I still enjoy driving it, because it's stick.

10-09-2015, 01:35 PM
(10-09-2015 01:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 01:24 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'd rather trust my own judgement than that of some 20 year old programmer who's never been behind the wheel ---- and DON'T tell me seasoned drivers are going to be the ones doing the programming........

GIGO......

Yeah, the joy of driving is another reason I'll never own one. Like I said, I don't even like driving automatic. I refuse to buy a car that isn't manual because the fun is not even comparable. I drive a shitty little Honda and I still enjoy driving it, because it's stick.

I like a 5 speed too..... Better performance for the most part..... That said - both my convertible and Jeep DJ5 are automatic. It always feels odd going from stick to automatic -- and from right hand steering to left hand. But, after one drive you're used to it again.... I used to have to do that with bikes too - going Brit (right hand shift) to American (left shift --- mostly -- early Sportsters were also right hand shift)..

10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
(10-09-2015 01:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 01:32 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yeah, the joy of driving is another reason I'll never own one. Like I said, I don't even like driving automatic. I refuse to buy a car that isn't manual because the fun is not even comparable. I drive a shitty little Honda and I still enjoy driving it, because it's stick.

I like a 5 speed too..... Better performance for the most part..... That said - both my convertible and Jeep DJ5 are automatic. It always feels odd going from stick to automatic -- and from right hand steering to left hand. But, after one drive you're used to it again.... I used to have to do that with bikes too - going Brit (right hand shift) to American (left shift --- mostly -- early Sportsters were also right hand shift)..

You men are looking at this self driving car thing all wrong. Here's your chance to have sex in the car on the way to work, or wherever, without having to look where you're going. Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-09-2015, 05:29 PM
(10-09-2015 05:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 01:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I like a 5 speed too..... Better performance for the most part..... That said - both my convertible and Jeep DJ5 are automatic. It always feels odd going from stick to automatic -- and from right hand steering to left hand. But, after one drive you're used to it again.... I used to have to do that with bikes too - going Brit (right hand shift) to American (left shift --- mostly -- early Sportsters were also right hand shift)..

You men are looking at this self driving car thing all wrong. Here's your chance to have sex in the car on the way to work, or wherever, without having to look where you're going. Tongue

That could be fun, but the opportunity to do so wouldn't arise often enough for it to be worth not being able to drive my car.

10-09-2015, 05:48 PM
My favorite bumper sticker has always been the one that says, "I wonder if your driving would improve if I shoved that cell phone up your ass." Unfortunately, that bumper sticker is illegal in Colorado because it's "threatening." Go figure.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post