Disturbing Statistic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Disturbing Statistic
Today I read a disturbing statistic. This being that only 45% of Americans believe in evolution. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2012, 07:05 PM
RE: Disturbing Statistic
Very disturbing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Views_...lution.svg

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

16-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Disturbing Statistic
I've seen that number even lower. It's horribly troubling. What's worse is I've had former classmates (I'm 34) who used to believe in evolution but no longer do because of their involvement with evangelical groups.
16-12-2012, 07:12 PM
(16-12-2012 07:10 PM)valpohawkeye Wrote:  I've seen that number even lower. It's horribly troubling. What's worse is I've had former classmates (I'm 34) who used to believe in evolution but no longer do because of their involvement with evangelical groups.
That's truly sad.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2012, 07:29 PM
(16-12-2012 06:54 PM)Farlian Wrote:  Today I read a disturbing statistic. This being that only 45% of Americans believe in evolution. What do you think?

I think that it infers that the majority of Americans – 55% – are mentally challenged.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
16-12-2012, 08:01 PM
There are a number of individuals who are unsure of the truth of evolution and have been influenced by the trite argument that 'it's only a theory'. The graphic Bucky Ball posted shows that population to be on the order of 20%, with a minority (40%) denying evolution altogether.

What is more disturbing is that those who deny evolution then go on to be science deniers of all sots of topics and to portray science as another form of religion. Just like the religious foist the trappings of theology onto atheism (which is by definition a lack of theistic belief), they try to make science into religion so they can justify their rejection of science as just another belief system.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
17-12-2012, 02:34 AM
(16-12-2012 06:54 PM)Farlian Wrote:  Today I read a disturbing statistic. This being that only 45% of Americans believe in evolution. What do you think?

Yeah. And I seem to work around most of them!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-12-2012, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2012 07:59 AM by Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day.)
Yep. Only religion can cause people to favor the belief that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and that a loving God got pissed at two naked people for eating an apple.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day's post
19-12-2012, 08:27 AM
(19-12-2012 07:56 AM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  
Yep. Only religion can cause people to favor the belief that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and that a loving God got pissed at two naked people for eating an apple.

No wonder you don't understand; it was a fig. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-12-2012, 08:38 AM
(16-12-2012 07:29 PM)Janus Wrote:  

I think that it infers that the majority of Americans – 55% – are mentally challenged.
Careful there. I don't think it means they are mentally challenged but I do think it speaks to a number of issues.

First, out education system
Second, the undue respect religion and religious opinion is given
Third, our lack of critical thinking skills (I too suffer from this and struggle to correct it)
Fourth, the general apathy towards correcting people who are wrong. The notion that someones else "opinion" is just as valid as everyone else's is absurd.

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post