Ditching the Smartphone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Ditching the Smartphone
I have concluded that my iPhone is the route cause of a lot of the negativity and depression I've been experiencing recently.

I've found that just having my phone on, and in my pocket is a constant distraction. Its always demanding my attention... Messages, notifications, keeping up with the news, the weather, etc etc. Its all noise in my head, and its constant. While its possible to turn off these notifications, it kind of defeats the object of having the thing on in the first place... Plus that doesn't remove the temptation to flick mindlessly through all the drivel on Facebook and Twitter, looking for some kind of mental stimulation, that just isn't there. Basically, its started to take over my life, and I don't like it.

It makes me irritable or even angry, which comes across very strongly when I respond to messages... Its caused arguments, strained my friendships, and has even split my band apart twice. So, for the past 5 days, I've left the thing swtiched off, uncharged. I expected to be feeling withdrawal symptoms. But oddly, I haven't felt any urge to pick it up at all... In fact, I feel completely at ease. I now engage with the world on my own terms, when I'm in the mood for it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
17-05-2016, 08:39 PM
RE: Ditching the Smartphone
I agree.

Sent from my smartphone.

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
17-05-2016, 08:52 PM
(17-05-2016 08:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I agree.

Sent from my smartphone.

Big Grin

Good for you... This is your first step towards embracing Jesus.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
17-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Mine sits in my kitchen. I never pick it up unless it rings and a call is coming in. I plop it in my purse when I go out just in case I get stranded some place.

If I want to fool around online I go to my desk top.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2016, 09:01 PM
We all know my iPhone hates me..

But seriously you can turn off all the notifications. That's what I did.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-05-2016, 09:04 PM
(17-05-2016 09:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We all know my iPhone hates me..

But there's not much point in having the thing on at all then.

I get precisely zero phone signal here, so the phone/text side of it is just there to irradiate sperm.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
17-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I have always gone with the idea that my phone is for my convenience...no one else's.

More often than not the ringer on mine is turned off. Most notifications are turned off. I use mine more like an iPod that I can make calls and texts on if I want it to. I have used it exactly once for navigation. I do use it sometimes to see if I can get a better price on Amazon than in whatever store I am in.

Hell, we still have a house phone line (part of a bundle) but don't have any phones plugged in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-05-2016, 09:14 PM
(17-05-2016 09:04 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 09:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We all know my iPhone hates me..

But there's not much point in having the thing on at all then.

I get precisely zero phone signal here, so the phone/text side of it is just there to irradiate sperm.

Ah..ok. I didn't find the notifications very important. I just would open an app when I wanted to.

It's also nice to have a back up for when our wifi died.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-05-2016, 09:20 PM
(17-05-2016 09:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have always gone with the idea that my phone is for my convenience...no one else's.

More often than not the ringer on mine is turned off. Most notifications are turned off. I use mine more like an iPod that I can make calls and texts on if I want it to. I have used it exactly once for navigation. I do use it sometimes to see if I can get a better price on Amazon than in whatever store I am in.

Hell, we still have a house phone line (part of a bundle) but don't have any phones plugged in.

That's kind of the thing really... It's become something for everyone else's convenience. People want to reach me, when very often I don't want to be reached...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
17-05-2016, 09:21 PM
(17-05-2016 08:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have concluded that my iPhone is the route cause of a lot of the negativity and depression I've been experiencing recently.

I've found that just having my phone on, and in my pocket is a constant distraction. Its always demanding my attention... Messages, notifications, keeping up with the news, the weather, etc etc. Its all noise in my head, and its constant. While its possible to turn off these notifications, it kind of defeats the object of having the thing on in the first place... Plus that doesn't remove the temptation to flick mindlessly through all the drivel on Facebook and Twitter, looking for some kind of mental stimulation, that just isn't there. Basically, its started to take over my life, and I don't like it.

It makes me irritable or even angry, which comes across very strongly when I respond to messages... Its caused arguments, strained my friendships, and has even split my band apart twice. So, for the past 5 days, I've left the thing swtiched off, uncharged. I expected to be feeling withdrawal symptoms. But oddly, I haven't felt any urge to pick it up at all... In fact, I feel completely at ease. I now engage with the world on my own terms, when I'm in the mood for it.

I have a T-Mobile phone that cost me something like $25 at Target. It was for emergency use only, as I had a pager when I had a job that anyone important could send a page to. Whereupon I would turn on the phone and call them back. Now that I am retired, and my current phone keeps turning itself off at the worst times, I'm going to have to consider getting a "real" phone. It won't be an Apple product, I can assure you. Too much angst against them to list. The "real" phone will cost me about what the pager cost my former employer per month.