Ditching the Smartphone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 09:28 PM
RE: Ditching the Smartphone
(17-05-2016 09:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 08:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have concluded that my iPhone is the route cause of a lot of the negativity and depression I've been experiencing recently.

I've found that just having my phone on, and in my pocket is a constant distraction. Its always demanding my attention... Messages, notifications, keeping up with the news, the weather, etc etc. Its all noise in my head, and its constant. While its possible to turn off these notifications, it kind of defeats the object of having the thing on in the first place... Plus that doesn't remove the temptation to flick mindlessly through all the drivel on Facebook and Twitter, looking for some kind of mental stimulation, that just isn't there. Basically, its started to take over my life, and I don't like it.

It makes me irritable or even angry, which comes across very strongly when I respond to messages... Its caused arguments, strained my friendships, and has even split my band apart twice. So, for the past 5 days, I've left the thing swtiched off, uncharged. I expected to be feeling withdrawal symptoms. But oddly, I haven't felt any urge to pick it up at all... In fact, I feel completely at ease. I now engage with the world on my own terms, when I'm in the mood for it.

I have a T-Mobile phone that cost me something like $25 at Target. It was for emergency use only, as I had a pager when I had a job that anyone important could send a page to. Whereupon I would turn on the phone and call them back. Now that I am retired, and my current phone keeps turning itself off at the worst times, I'm going to have to consider getting a "real" phone. It won't be an Apple product, I can assure you. Too much angst against them to list. The "real" phone will cost me about what the pager cost my former employer per month.

Once my contract expires at the end of next month, I'm going back to my old Samsung dumb phone... It cost me about £10. Hard to believe it would last two whole weeks on a single charge, and I had no trouble getting a signal, even out here in the sticks.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 09:31 PM
I finally got a smartphone about 4 month ago but I'm too stupid to figure out how the damned thing works.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Nobody calls me. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
18-05-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm actually the only person I know who doesn't have a smart phone. I like the keyboard I have, and don't need data on the go. But I might make the switch this year so I have a good camera on hand. I am not scared of getting addicted because I dislike using tablets and smartphones compared to laptops or pcs.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
18-05-2016, 02:15 AM
I really love my smartphone. It doesn't cause me stress. I think there's several reasons for that.
- I avoid all news feeds. Including Facebook (except when I'm really bored). This is mainly because I have certain psychological problems and I get bad panic-attacks about anything wrong with the world. Apparently my brain doesn't understand that I'm not solely responsible for solving global warming and war in Syria. This has the fortunate side effect of keeping me free of the constant need to look for updates. It's saves me from the stress of wanting to know every news item in the world and being unable to keep up.
-I've been isolated a lot socially due to the aforementioned issues, so the only people who call or message, whether in the traditional way or via Skype, are my very closest friends and family.
-I answer e-mail on my own terms. I am comfortable not answering an e-mail right away if I don't feel I have the energy for it.
-I usually have the sound switched off on my phone, so when I want to be alone it doesn't call for my attention.
-I always have it on silent and tucked away in a purse or pocket when I'm with other people.

I love always having a web browser on me. I'm a big Wikipedia fan! And I love having a navigation system, Mobilepay, calender (that gives me a notification when I need to remember something), medicine reminder, alarm clock, podcast player, music, radio, Kindle, Magazines etc. all in one little object and with me on the go.
Big, yet unstressed, fan!
18-05-2016, 04:01 AM
(17-05-2016 09:20 PM)Sam Wrote:  That's kind of the thing really... It's become something for everyone else's convenience. People want to reach me, when very often I don't want to be reached...

Go into your settings and figure out how to set up a White List. Anybody not on that list will either be sent to voice mail or blocked entirely.

Oh crap!
18-05-2016, 04:07 AM
(17-05-2016 08:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have concluded that my iPhone is the route cause of a lot of the negativity and depression I've been experiencing recently.

I've found that just having my phone on, and in my pocket is a constant distraction. Its always demanding my attention... Messages, notifications, keeping up with the news, the weather, etc etc. Its all noise in my head, and its constant. While its possible to turn off these notifications, it kind of defeats the object of having the thing on in the first place... Plus that doesn't remove the temptation to flick mindlessly through all the drivel on Facebook and Twitter, looking for some kind of mental stimulation, that just isn't there. Basically, its started to take over my life, and I don't like it.

It makes me irritable or even angry, which comes across very strongly when I respond to messages... Its caused arguments, strained my friendships, and has even split my band apart twice. So, for the past 5 days, I've left the thing swtiched off, uncharged. I expected to be feeling withdrawal symptoms. But oddly, I haven't felt any urge to pick it up at all... In fact, I feel completely at ease. I now engage with the world on my own terms, when I'm in the mood for it.

Good. You'll save money.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
18-05-2016, 04:53 AM
I thought I left mine at work a couple days ago and I was really distraught. Then when I found it I was absurdly relieved. I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account. I don't like those websites. I tried Facebook for a few months and found it so annoying I had to delete it. Like I would look at it and it was always stupid but I had to keep looking. So I killed it. Twitter, to me, is horrible. I tried it for like a week and thought wow it's endless volumes upon volumes of worthlessness. Far more annoying than Facebook. So it's like three or four texts a day. About 4 forums. News and sports app and music. But it's worse than my wallet or my keys. If I don't have my phone right on me I flip. I can't rest until I find it. If I ever forgot it, which is impossible, I will make any excuse to find it. If I wake up at 3 AM to pee I spend an extra 20-30 minutes pushing buttons for basically no reason. I'm not so sure why but I am totally "addicted" to it. It's almost like a body part. I wish I weren't so damned obsessed with it. I don't even really understand the appeal.
18-05-2016, 05:28 AM
I've got a Trump phone....

It's kinda loud and annoying, and it's not particularly smart......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
18-05-2016, 05:42 AM
(17-05-2016 09:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  More often than not the ringer on mine is turned off.

This.
Drive.
Me.
Insane!

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to reach my wife due to something important and she doesn't pick up because her ringer is off.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post