Ditching the Smartphone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 05:58 AM
RE: Ditching the Smartphone
Second that BnW....

One feature I've yet to see on a cellphone --- a programmable ringer -- that would by syncing to the clock - turn your cellphone's ringer off (while at work, for instance) -- then turn it back on when you SHOULD be available....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 06:01 AM
(18-05-2016 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Second that BnW....

One feature I've yet to see on a cellphone --- a programmable ringer -- that would by syncing to the clock - turn your cellphone's ringer off (while at work, for instance) -- then turn it back on when you SHOULD be available....

Actually a good idea. I kept forgetting to turn my ringer back on after work then realized that I simply don't care. I do look at my phone now and then to see if I missed a call or text. Sometimes it stays all weekend in the bottom of my purse. Alone and afraid in the abyss. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-05-2016, 06:05 AM
(18-05-2016 06:01 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Second that BnW....

Actually a good idea. I kept forgetting to turn my ringer back on after work then realized that I simply don't care. I do look at my phone now and then to see if I missed a call or text. Sometimes it stays all weekend in the bottom of my purse. Alone and afraid in the abyss. Tongue

As most smartphones have GPS tracking - you could also sync the ringer/vibrator to specific locations to the GPS....

At work -- vibrate.
Driving -- off
Home or elsewhere - ringing and vibrate.

It doesn't take much to come up with good ideas. The trick is getting bonehead manufacturers to use them.......

The stupid features - they know how to install.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-05-2016, 06:19 AM
I've never actually owned a mobile phone. Well technically yes I have but I bought it for my husband.

It's a great case where circular logic works. I don't have a phone so no one ever phones me so I don't need a phone.

It's like having a television. If I don't know what I am missing then I don't need a TV. That saves money on buying a TV license and frees up more time.

I've managed to once inspire someone else to start 'accidentally' leaving his phone in the drawer and he found that he never missed it.

I did use my husband's old Nokia phone from 2001 for sending text messages to be picked up etc. I would charge it up twice a year. It's currently in Germany. I came across it when I was visiting last month but decided not to bother bringing it back. I'll bring it back once I take up paragliding again in case I go cross country and need a lift back to civilisation.
18-05-2016, 08:23 AM
(18-05-2016 06:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've never actually owned a mobile phone. Well technically yes I have but I bought it for my husband.

It's a great case where circular logic works. I don't have a phone so no one ever phones me so I don't need a phone.

It's like having a television. If I don't know what I am missing then I don't need a TV. That saves money on buying a TV license and frees up more time.

I've managed to once inspire someone else to start 'accidentally' leaving his phone in the drawer and he found that he never missed it.

I did use my husband's old Nokia phone from 2001 for sending text messages to be picked up etc. I would charge it up twice a year. It's currently in Germany. I came across it when I was visiting last month but decided not to bother bringing it back. I'll bring it back once I take up paragliding again in case I go cross country and need a lift back to civilisation.

TV license? Whuzzat?
18-05-2016, 09:13 AM
I've noticed myself using my cell phone less and less the past couple of months, mainly because of the lack of signal I get at my house. But overall I have noticed a positive impact in my life, especially since I have an 11 month old son, getting to spend more and more time with him without distraction.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
18-05-2016, 09:27 AM
My doctor spoke with me about being on electronics so much. It's possible that it's exacerbated my anxiety problem, because you basically overload your brain.

I was on electronics every day up until the moment I went to sleep.

So I've been laying off them a little, reading real books, and trying to enjoy the outdoors more often. Noticed much improvement in my anxiety.

I keep my phone on me, but rarely break it out unless I need to.

I think our technology is starting to outpace our brains' ability to keep up xD

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
19-05-2016, 11:14 AM
(18-05-2016 08:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 06:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I've never actually owned a mobile phone. Well technically yes I have but I bought it for my husband.

TV license? Whuzzat?
In the UK the BBC is funded by the tv licence, about £150 a year payable if your household can receive or record live tv via an aerial, cable or satellite (but soon also to apply to BBC on demand services e.g. streaming). Supposed to keep the beeb independent of commercial influence (as no advertising).

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like ukatheist's post
19-05-2016, 12:41 PM
(17-05-2016 08:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have concluded that my iPhone is the route cause of a lot of the negativity and depression I've been experiencing recently.

I've found that just having my phone on, and in my pocket is a constant distraction. Its always demanding my attention... Messages, notifications, keeping up with the news, the weather, etc etc. Its all noise in my head, and its constant. While its possible to turn off these notifications, it kind of defeats the object of having the thing on in the first place... Plus that doesn't remove the temptation to flick mindlessly through all the drivel on Facebook and Twitter, looking for some kind of mental stimulation, that just isn't there. Basically, its started to take over my life, and I don't like it.

It makes me irritable or even angry, which comes across very strongly when I respond to messages... Its caused arguments, strained my friendships, and has even split my band apart twice. So, for the past 5 days, I've left the thing swtiched off, uncharged. I expected to be feeling withdrawal symptoms. But oddly, I haven't felt any urge to pick it up at all... In fact, I feel completely at ease. I now engage with the world on my own terms, when I'm in the mood for it.

I gotta say, it sounds like you're blaming your problems on an inanimate object. Whether you change your phone or not, they'll still be there with you.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
19-05-2016, 01:37 PM
(19-05-2016 11:14 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 08:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:  TV license? Whuzzat?
In the UK the BBC is funded by the tv licence, about £150 a year payable if your household can receive or record live tv via an aerial, cable or satellite (but soon also to apply to BBC on demand services e.g. streaming). Supposed to keep the beeb independent of commercial influence (as no advertising).

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Well, damn. Part of why I don't watch television is because even the news is "entertainment". I try to get fair news on the internet, but even then I need a serious filter for the shit. Independent reporting would be welcome.