Ditching the Smartphone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 01:49 PM
RE: Ditching the Smartphone
(19-05-2016 01:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 11:14 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  In the UK the BBC is funded by the tv licence, about £150 a year payable if your household can receive or record live tv via an aerial, cable or satellite (but soon also to apply to BBC on demand services e.g. streaming). Supposed to keep the beeb independent of commercial influence (as no advertising).

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Well, damn. Part of why I don't watch television is because even the news is "entertainment". I try to get fair news on the internet, but even then I need a serious filter for the shit. Independent reporting would be welcome.

I concluded that the news was a soap opera about the time that Terri Shaivio died. Haven't paid it much attention since.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 06:07 PM by Fireball.)
(19-05-2016 01:49 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 01:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Well, damn. Part of why I don't watch television is because even the news is "entertainment". I try to get fair news on the internet, but even then I need a serious filter for the shit. Independent reporting would be welcome.

I concluded that the news was a soap opera about the time that Terri Shaivio died. Haven't paid it much attention since.

FWIW, when I got married ('81), I didn't have a TV. My wife just had to have one, so we do. But most of what I see is such shit that I watch nearly nil. PBS once in awhile. I used to watch Norm Abrams, but once he went off (plus it was beginning to repeat) I quit that too. I generally have no clue what people talk about like those dancing or singing competition shows. I'm betting very few people will believe this, but I don't even have games on my computer, not even Solitaire. Guess I'm just a Tongue
19-05-2016, 06:32 PM
(18-05-2016 06:05 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 06:01 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Actually a good idea. I kept forgetting to turn my ringer back on after work then realized that I simply don't care. I do look at my phone now and then to see if I missed a call or text. Sometimes it stays all weekend in the bottom of my purse. Alone and afraid in the abyss. Tongue

As most smartphones have GPS tracking - you could also sync the ringer/vibrator to specific locations to the GPS....

At work -- vibrate.
Driving -- off
Home or elsewhere - ringing and vibrate.

It doesn't take much to come up with good ideas. The trick is getting bonehead manufacturers to use them.......

The stupid features - they know how to install.....

I would be very, very surprised if there wasn't a smartphone app that does this. Have you checked the app store already? Consider

@topic: I personally can't do without my smartphone because I constantly need GPS and Google Maps to find my way around this metropolis. My sense of navigation in foreign environments is terrible which is why I get lost way too easily without it. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-05-2016, 06:41 PM
(17-05-2016 08:52 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 08:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I agree.

Sent from my smartphone.

Big Grin

Good for you... This is your first step towards embracing Jesus.

You see Jesus send him around I'll embrace him.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
19-05-2016, 06:46 PM
(18-05-2016 06:01 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Second that BnW....

One feature I've yet to see on a cellphone --- a programmable ringer -- that would by syncing to the clock - turn your cellphone's ringer off (while at work, for instance) -- then turn it back on when you SHOULD be available....

Actually a good idea. I kept forgetting to turn my ringer back on after work then realized that I simply don't care. I do look at my phone now and then to see if I missed a call or text. Sometimes it stays all weekend in the bottom of my purse. Alone and afraid in the abyss. Tongue

I bet the poor thing feels abandoned.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post