Divine Command Theory/God's Morality Can't Be Questioned

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 01:29 AM
RE: Divine Command Theory/God's Morality Can't Be Questioned
(14-06-2017 08:43 PM)Demolition Man Wrote:  Thanks for the responses, everyone! Once I get a moment, I will be reading through your responses in depth and see if I can use some of it when I debate this stuff with theists. And just to let you know, as predicted, the debate I had today with a Christian did end up feeling like I was talking to a wall that wouldn't listen, ha ha. Oh well. I certainly felt like I presented my case strongly, anyway.

Most probably you won't have a meaningful debate. For believers good is good (if he weren't then they wouldn't believe I think) and nothing you say will sway them, except for some isolated cases. At best you will plant a seed of doubt which may or may not blossom.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-06-2017, 05:21 AM
I had one discussion where I tried asking a few theists how they new god was the good one and satan was the bad one and it wasn't so much that they couldn't answer as they could not grasp the question. It was as if I had asked how they knew water was wet; "good" was just a property of "god" and they could not be separated.

Trying to look at the question of an intelligent agent who defines "good" but operates under different moral rules for himself was just meaningless to them. God was good and anything he did was good and anything he does that we can't because it'd be bad is good and anything we think is good isn't unless god also says it is good. It's bizarro world.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
15-06-2017, 05:31 AM
(15-06-2017 05:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Trying to look at the question of an intelligent agent who defines "good" but operates under different moral rules for himself was just meaningless to them. God was good and anything he did was good and anything he does that we can't because it'd be bad is good and anything we think is good isn't unless god also says it is good. It's bizarro world.

And whoever can manipulate what that person thinks of their god, controls them.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 05:33 AM
I find it interesting to ask religious dudes if they would kill their family if God ordered it. If not, why not? The answers have been varied and scary.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
15-06-2017, 06:07 AM
(15-06-2017 05:33 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I find it interesting to ask religious dudes if they would kill their family if God ordered it. If not, why not? The answers have been varied and scary.

If their answer is anything less than an immediate and emphatic 'NO!', they're dangerously susceptible to deadly manipulation.

They're one charismatic manipulator away from committing atrocities.

[Image: quote-those-who-can-make-you-believe-abs...191236.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Most of them wrote a gigantic wall of text explaining why they didn't have to answer the question.

Some said yes, which makes me very scared what would happen if they started hallucinating. Those that said no couldn't make much of a case why they would suddenly refuse God's unquestioned morality by command.

It's the whole, "as long as God agrees with me" clause that gets omitted.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2017, 06:35 AM
(15-06-2017 06:16 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Most of them wrote a gigantic wall of text explaining why they didn't have to answer the question.

Some said yes, which makes me very scared what would happen if they started hallucinating. Those that said no couldn't make much of a case why they would suddenly refuse God's unquestioned morality by command.

It's the whole, "as long as God agrees with me" clause that gets omitted.

Still, I should straight up ask my father that next time he wants to try communicating.

Hey dad, would you kill me if god told you to?

Depending on his answer, there might still be hope for him.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post