Divine role reversal and the problem with faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Divine role reversal and the problem with faith
(06-03-2014 01:00 PM)alpha male Wrote:  God explains it in Romans 9. You don't.

The last time I checked, Saul of Tausus, the founder of your religion, Paulianity,
wrote Romans. Prove it was written by a deity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
(06-03-2014 02:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The last time I checked, Saul of Tausus, the founder of your religion, Paulianity,
Just let the grown-ups talk, Bucky. Go have a cookie and milk...good boy...
06-03-2014, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 04:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-03-2014 02:15 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 02:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The last time I checked, Saul of Tausus, the founder of your religion, Paulianity,
Just let the grown-ups talk, Bucky. Go have a cookie and milk...good boy...

Thanks for demonstrating you talk utter nonsense, and couldn't defend it to save your life. You made the claim your deity wrote something. If you have some evidence for that, I'd like to see it. If you don't, and that's the sort of nonsense "adults" talk, where YOU come from, then we'd all be better off, Mr. -28, having cookies and milk, than taking anything you have to say seriously. The moon is made of green cheese.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
(06-03-2014 01:00 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 12:55 PM)Impulse Wrote:  No, you don't get to insert something random into an absence of information anymore than you get to do so with a god existing.
I didn't insert something random. It's a logical conclusion, as explained. You can add to the story, explaining why Good needs the attention of Good people for power, but Evil doesn't need attention if you want.

Quote:Where in my story did I describe "prior to the overthrow"?

As for your other point, in your version of God, God could just kill all the evil so why didn't he? You can accept somehow that he didn't, but now call out Evil in my story for not squashing all the good. Consider
God explains it in Romans 9. You don't. Smartass
When you're interested in real discussion instead of these avoidant, evasive replies, let me know.

As for Romans 9, please state the specific verse(s) and quote them so we both know what you're discussing.

(06-03-2014 02:15 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Just let the grown-ups talk, Bucky.
I agree, you should bow out.

(06-03-2014 02:15 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Go have a cookie and milk...good boy...
See what I mean...?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-03-2014, 05:05 PM
(06-03-2014 04:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  As for Romans 9, please state the specific verse(s) and quote them so we both know what you're discussing.
Sure: 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy,

Don't know why you're so pissy...you said in the OP it could very well need tweaking.
06-03-2014, 05:22 PM
(06-03-2014 05:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 04:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  As for Romans 9, please state the specific verse(s) and quote them so we both know what you're discussing.
Sure: 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy,

Don't know why you're so pissy...you said in the OP it could very well need tweaking.
Desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power conflicts directly with mercy. Your God also "endures" nothing. Emotion is a human characteristic. A perfect being would have no imperfect emotions. Why can't you see what utter crap that is?

But going back to the original discussion, you brought it up as a way of excusing your god for not killing all the bad while claiming Evil in my story should kill all the good.

So...
22 What if Evil, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of good prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of evil

It's hypocritical to excuse one and not the other.

And crying "pissy" is lame when all I'm doing is calling you out on your bullshit. Is that really all you've got?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
06-03-2014, 07:28 PM
(06-03-2014 02:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 01:00 PM)alpha male Wrote:  God explains it in Romans 9. You don't.

The last time I checked, Saul of Tausus, the founder of your religion, Paulianity,

No kidding. What's Paul's claim to authority? He was walking to Damascus when he totally talked to God for real, and there were two witnesses? Also, those two witnesses were mentioned in his claim, but they never actually corroborated his story outside of his story?

This reminds me of a thread from about a month back where more than three people all vouched for a bridge that was for sale. Seems more credible, to me...
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
07-03-2014, 06:06 AM
(06-03-2014 05:22 PM)Impulse Wrote:  But going back to the original discussion, you brought it up as a way of excusing your god for not killing all the bad while claiming Evil in my story should kill all the good.

So...
22 What if Evil, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of good prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of evil

It's necessary to endure evil in order to show judgment and mercy. It's not necessary to endure good in order to eventually kill it. You need to give a reason, as the mere converse doesn't work. But it seems you don't really want to think about this. You just wanted other atheists to pat you on the back. Later.
07-03-2014, 06:09 AM
(06-03-2014 07:28 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  No kidding. What's Paul's claim to authority? He was walking to Damascus when he totally talked to God for real, and there were two witnesses? Also, those two witnesses were mentioned in his claim, but they never actually corroborated his story outside of his story?
Crap Robby, you completely missed the point and went off on a tangent. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but since you whine like a little girl when I do the same...and even when I don't...
07-03-2014, 10:11 AM
(07-03-2014 06:06 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 05:22 PM)Impulse Wrote:  But going back to the original discussion, you brought it up as a way of excusing your god for not killing all the bad while claiming Evil in my story should kill all the good.

So...

It's necessary to endure evil in order to show judgment and mercy. It's not necessary to endure good in order to eventually kill it. You need to give a reason, as the mere converse doesn't work. But it seems you don't really want to think about this. You just wanted other atheists to pat you on the back. Later.
Of course the converse works. Do you really believe evil likes good? Evil endures good as much as good endures evil. If God allows evil to persist so that we may, by comparison, fully appreciate the good, then Evil can allow good to persist so that evil beings can fully appreciate the evil.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post