Divorce and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2016, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 04:55 PM by Matrim Cauthon.)
Divorce and Atheism
I think I have just discovered, perhaps, where my Atheism got it's start (near 30 years ago)...from a long conversation with my Father, just now.

One of the greatest contributors to their divorce, was religious fanaticism - each in their own opposite directions (although perhaps 'fanaticism' vs. 'fanatical anti-fanatacism', in their case?).

So - it existed even early in life - but after divorce, it gained a clarity never before had: "Mom's Jesus" wanted me to 'do this' - and my "Father's Jesus" wanted me to 'do that'.

...My first opportunity to compare two religions, both instilled by parents - which was basically forcing a tennis ball through a straw (to a 12 year old - does it get more complex and critical, than choosing between Gods and Parents?); i.e. "parents speak truth, and further, I am moreover compelled to listen - yet they make opposing claims... What am I, their child and subordinate, to believe - and how am I, their child and subordinate, to be called to 'do the right thing', when choosing either direction results in both right AND wrong - and how can I, their child and subordinate, even be allowed 'the right' to either decision, as such - or in this case, 'the right' to refrain from decision?" ...My first opportunity, to be forced into thinking outside of the box...outside the dynamics of both the 'parent/child' and the 'right/wrong' constructs.

I didn't have nearly the awareness above, during the time it was going on...but looking back, this surely is one of those critical points that determined paths my life has grown into. I will say though - individually - I like where I am...therefore, mustn't I be grateful? In truth I am...but I will indeed continue digging... Don't know if I'll ever be able to answer certainly, until much nearer the end... Journey, journey, journey. Wink

“Narg know people come back somtimes. Narg wait. You no need sword. Put sword down. Narg no hurt.” – Narg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Matrim Cauthon's post
02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Divorce and Atheism
(26-09-2016 04:48 PM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  I think I have just discovered, perhaps, where my Atheism got it's start (near 30 years ago)...from a long conversation with my Father, just now.

One of the greatest contributors to their divorce, was religious fanaticism - each in their own opposite directions (although perhaps 'fanaticism' vs. 'fanatical anti-fanatacism', in their case?)...
Not uncommon.

Recommended reading:

'Til Faith Do Us Part: How Interfaith Marriage is Transforming America by Naomi Schaefer Riley
02-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Parents who force religion on kids are guilty of child abuse.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
03-07-2017, 07:32 AM
(02-07-2017 07:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Parents who force religion on kids are guilty of child abuse.

Pr 22:6 [Image: dizzy.gif]
03-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Divorce and Atheism
Is this the guy ^ plagiarizing us for his personal blog?

Cheers
TheBeardedDude

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Yes he is
[+] 1 user Likes OmniConsUme's post
03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Divorce and Atheism
(03-07-2017 09:24 AM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  Yes he is

Good to know

Cheers
TheBeardedDude

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
03-07-2017, 09:34 AM
(02-07-2017 04:36 PM)serpentdove Wrote:  
(26-09-2016 04:48 PM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  I think I have just discovered, perhaps, where my Atheism got it's start (near 30 years ago)...from a long conversation with my Father, just now.

One of the greatest contributors to their divorce, was religious fanaticism - each in their own opposite directions (although perhaps 'fanaticism' vs. 'fanatical anti-fanatacism', in their case?)...
Not uncommon.

Recommended reading:

'Til Faith Do Us Part: How Interfaith Marriage is Transforming America by Naomi Schaefer Riley

Hey Serpent! I just found out you're copying and pasting parts of TTA members posts on your stupid website, or whatever the hell it is. Here's a quote for you.

FUCK YOU!

Post THAT on your little dopey web page.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-07-2017, 09:46 AM
(03-07-2017 07:32 AM)serpentdove Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 07:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Parents who force religion on kids are guilty of child abuse.

Pr 22:6 [Image: dizzy.gif]

Go blow your proverbs out your ass.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
(03-07-2017 09:34 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 04:36 PM)serpentdove Wrote:  Not uncommon.

Recommended reading:

Hey Serpent! I just found out you're copying and pasting parts of TTA members posts on your stupid website, or whatever the hell it is. Here's a quote for you.

FUCK YOU!

Post THAT on your little dopey web page.

Lol, its a messed up delusional little page that's for sure. Minus 16 rep points (to a total of 21) in less than 24 hours that's gotta be some sort of a record.