Do 3000 lives warrant this kind of change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Do 3000 lives warrant this kind of change?
Since the 11th of September 2001 the entire world has changed rapidly.

Islam invaded and pretty much took over the west. Public transport has massive security measures. Countries have been invaded left and right because of terrorism. Governments all over the world have been abandoning their constitutions. Free speech is all but outlawed in most "civilized" countries. List goes on. All seems to come from a mass hysteria caused by 9/11

Now I wonder. Does the murder of 3000 people really warrant the other 6,000,000,000 people in the world to completely change the way that society works?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
RE: Do 3000 lives warrant this kind of change?
(02-02-2011 11:01 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Since the 11th of September 2001 the entire world has changed rapidly.

Islam invaded and pretty much took over the west. Public transport has massive security measures. Countries have been invaded left and right because of terrorism. Governments all over the world have been abandoning their constitutions. Free speech is all but outlawed in most "civilized" countries. List goes on. All seems to come from a mass hysteria caused by 9/11

Now I wonder. Does the murder of 3000 people really warrant the other 6,000,000,000 people in the world to completely change the way that society works?

No.
02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
The aftermath of 9/11 was a massive over reaction. It's not that I blame people for being emotional, it was a hell of a day and I totally understand that desire to "strike back" so to speak. However, feeding into it only really validates the terrorists. Of course retrospect is 20/20 and we've kind of gotten ourselves into a situation we can't really back out of easily.

02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
(02-02-2011 11:15 PM)Green Wrote:  The aftermath of 9/11 was a massive over reaction. It's not that I blame people for being emotional, it was a hell of a day and I totally understand that desire to "strike back" so to speak. However, feeding into it only really validates the terrorists. Of course retrospect is 20/20 and we've kind of gotten ourselves into a situation we can't really back out of easily.

Luckily for me I get to be a told-ya-so on this one. I've been on this page since 9/11 at noon. And I'm not the only one. It's still the one thing that makes me assay my admiration of C. Hitchens. The guys a genius but he's so dogmatic and dead wrong on that one issue and he refuses to acknowledge what everyone else knows.
03-02-2011, 01:23 AM

calling 9-11 a major tragedy is quite sensationalist and leads to the sort of mass missinformed failure of understanding that scares so many people off neuclear power because 'what if there was another chernobyl?'

having argued for years against the ridiculous fears associated with nuclear power (less people have died as a result of chernobyl in the entire 25 years since than die in car accidents in the us anually) i was left groaning with resignation as i watched america go to war over a few thousand deaths.
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 01:36 AM
You all should read "Risk" by Dan Gardner

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
(03-02-2011 01:23 AM)DoE Wrote:  calling 9-11 a major tragedy is quite sensationalist and leads to the sort of mass missinformed failure of understanding that scares so many people off neuclear power because 'what if there was another chernobyl?'

I'm not sure I understand your point or the connection to Chernobyl. Please elaborate.

gamutman - great answer. I agree.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
(03-02-2011 01:36 AM)The_observer Wrote:  You all should read "Risk" by Dan Gardner

Australia is key. Wait, you mean the other Risk.
04-02-2011, 05:29 AM
(03-02-2011 11:42 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Australia is key. Wait, you mean the other Risk.
I don't get it. Sorry... Possibly lack of knowledge.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
(04-02-2011 05:29 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(03-02-2011 11:42 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Australia is key. Wait, you mean the other Risk.
I don't get it. Sorry... Possibly lack of knowledge.

[Image: risk-game-of-global-domination.jpg]

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost