Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-08-2016, 04:41 PM
RE: Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?
This is a little long, but...that's sort of the point I guess. I find a few of these somewhat arguable, even though I am in agreement with this concept, but it is still a thought provoking list, I think.

Quote:The FBI gave the standard profile of a serial killer, He is a person with few friends. He became much more religious just before he started murdering people. Almost all serial killers start quoting one verse after another from the Christian Bible.

Nearly all serial killers are very devout men who were raised by members of Pentecostal sects, fundamentalist Catholics or were 'hard-shell' Baptists and Methodists."

Studies after study show serial killers are a product of this environment, not genetics.

You can find much information on serial killers being sexually inhibited and there views on sex and religion at http://www.crimelibrary.com/serials/what/whatlust.htm

Bruce Lee murdered 26 people. The Flint Journal article says "Bible reading was his only consolations" and he quoted the bible saying "Matthew 6, verse 24 no servant can be a serve of two masters."

David Berkowitz (Corbis) called the SON OF SAM, murdered more than 10 women. The newspaper said "He called himself a born again Christian"

Berwid The article in the Flint Journal quotes him "I was searching the bible and soul searching and I decided God wanted me to do that."

The Yorkshire Rapier "was on a divine mission and felt he had been chosen to hear the word of GOD (JESUS)." Reported the Flint Journal. He murdered 11 girls.

Miller a serial killer had that thing called faith, believed in Jesus. The Flint Journal article says he was always carrying the Bible.

Sampson Kanderayi, a mass murderer called The Ax Killer, killed more than 30 people. The newspaper reported "he did it to appease evil spirits." He was a Christian

Watts, The Sunday Morning Slasher killed 11 women. This article says he did it "to eliminate evil spirits".

Jeffery Dahmer is a typical serial killer. He killed more than 23 young men and eat many of them

Gary Ridgway killed as many as 60 women, more murders than any serial killer in U.S. history. ~ In the late '70s Gary became fanatical about religion. He would go from door to door proselytizing for a Pentecostal church and would be infuriated when people refused to listen to him. At home he would sit in front of the television with a Bible open on his lap, and he often cried after attending church services.

The Holocaust
Leader: Hitler
Deaths: Between 11 and 17 million people
Unfortunately, this is a bad start for the religious, Hitler was a devout Catholic who drew on his religion as a justification for what became the Holocaust.

Rwanda Genocide
Leader: Théodore Sindikubwabo
Deaths: 500,000-1million
Oops, another loser for the men of the cross. Theodore, who memorably told his fellow Hutus to "get working" (ie. kill more Tutsis), was not only a Catholic and backed by the powerful Rwandan Catholic church (left over from Belgium's christian-led occupation of the country), he claimed divine inspiration was behind the massacre, saying God would help the Hutus against the "enemy.”

Colonising of the Americas
Leaders: Colombus, the European Monarchs, the easrly US presidents
Deaths: Anywhere between 8.4 million and 100 million people (due to lack of records)
Oh dear. Originally found and gutted by a man who cited God every time he opened his mouth (try Howard Zinn for more), followed by a succession of very religious monarchs and religious types who jumped the boats to get away from Europe's restrictions on them, who deliberately introduced massive disease into the native population of an entire continent. Not looking good this. It's paralleled by similar events in Australia.

Cromwell's Irish campaign
Leader: Oliver Cromwell
Casualties: 50,000
He may have killed a king, but Old Ironsides was also a puritan who ordered or condoned the killing, torture and deportation of tens of thousands of Irish people.

The Ku Klux Klan
America’s earliest home-grown white nationalist militia rooted their pro-segregation philosophy and anti-black and anti-Jew violence in the belief that they were enforcing God’s law on behalf of the chosen people, the white race.

To this day, Klansmen and women will cheerfully assure you that they are good, law-abiding Christians who are acting out of defense of what they see as a beleaguered white population.

“We don’t hate people because of their race, I mean, we’re a Christian organization,”said the Klan’s Frank Ancona in 2014. “We want to stay white. It’s not a hateful thing to want to maintain white supremacy.”

The Otherside Lounge Bombing
In 1997, Christian terrorist Eric Robert Rudolph planted and detonated a homemade bomb at the Atlanta LGBT bar the Otherside Lounge. Four people were injured. A second bomb failed to detonate.

Rudolph bombed abortion clinics in Birmingham and Atlanta, killing three people in all and injuring 111 others. He was apprehended by police in 2003 and remains in federal custody.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2016, 05:48 PM
(31-08-2016 04:11 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 02:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Let's see now...Consider ....this thread was started on 24th and it is now the 31st and I still haven't murdered anyone, committed adultery, stolen anything, hurt or maimed anyone, eaten any babies or drowned cute little kittens.

Well, 6 out of 7 ain't bad....
Angel

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Did you all have a ban party?

You should have.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
01-09-2016, 12:43 PM
(31-08-2016 04:11 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 02:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Let's see now...Consider ....this thread was started on 24th and it is now the 31st and I still haven't murdered anyone, committed adultery, stolen anything, hurt or maimed anyone, eaten any babies or drowned cute little kittens.

Well, 6 out of 7 ain't bad....
Angel

Nonono, you're still good. The kittens aren't cute now that they've been drowned.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
01-09-2016, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 12:57 PM by Szuchow.)
@The Dark One

Hitler wasn't devout catholic if one goes by Kershaw or Volker biography of his. He used religious language in his spechees and sometimes was reffered to as a holy figure but that's all.

He indeed was believer, just like Stalin or Mao whose object of worship was different.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-09-2016, 02:29 PM
(01-09-2016 12:43 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 04:11 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Well, 6 out of 7 ain't bad....
Angel

Nonono, you're still good. The kittens aren't cute now that they've been drowned.

I'd never drown a kitten.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP