Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-08-2016, 05:34 AM
RE: Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?
(24-08-2016 05:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I was and am being sarcastic.

You and the Dark One take the erroneous position that a persons pen name determines the validity of the argument they are presenting.

Here is a protip:

It does not. Believing it does is a logical fallacy but that is doesn't surprise me....your life is a logical fallacy.

Sure you were, liar. Sure you were.
You are such a fucking joke.

Here is a protip : The forum dunce is not exactly the one to be dishing out protips.
You connected two things that were not related. Belief has nothing to do with it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 05:40 AM
It sounds like you're saying that without those weekly reminders, theists will begin to lose all empathy and compassion for their fellow man, becoming psychopathic murderers, thieves and rapists.

Or maybe, just maybe, we see so many christians in prison who are psychopathic murderers, thieves and rapists, because they went to church every week.

Their god is a psychopathic genocidal murderer, rib thief and raped a 12 yr girl (Mary).

I, like many atheists before me and if I'm really honest, like many theists as well, gained our morals from family, from friends. We were taught how to behave from our parents.

Religion attempts to erode moral foundations to the point where good people can commit atrocities in the name of their religion.

Those "weekly reminders" weaken moral foundations and creates an us vs them mentality. When someone has to be reminded on a weekly basis why they shouldn't kill someone, that person should probably be locked away.

Lastly any video involving Glenn Beck tends to send me into a murderous rage, so I didn't watch it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 9 users Like Rahn127's post
24-08-2016, 05:48 AM
(24-08-2016 05:40 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Lastly any video involving Glenn Beck tends to send me into a murderous rage, so I didn't watch it.

The video isn't about Glenn Beck nor is he in it. It is a Ted Talk.....not a FoxNews prime time special for fuck sake.
24-08-2016, 06:07 AM
(24-08-2016 03:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do Atheists need to be reminded to be moral? Well if they are like everyone else then they just might.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_o...moral_code

Religious people get reminded in church to be moral. Where do atheist's get their reminders? Please don't bother responding to the thread if you aren't going to watch the tedtalk.

Maybe you need to be reminded. Watching this idiot talk is totally irrelevant. He conflates all kinds of irrelevant nonsense that is really not related. The crap about his pain is irrelevant to social situations. He has not demonstrated the connections. The talk is a total waste of time. He never says anything about atheists, or believers vs non-believers. It actually refutes your group division, (see 16:00). Conclusion : Blowme is more profoundly stupid than we even imagined.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-08-2016, 06:24 AM
(24-08-2016 06:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Maybe you need to be reminded. Watching this idiot talk is totally irrelevant. He conflates all kinds of irrelevant nonsense that is really not related. The crap about his pain is irrelevant to social situations. He has not demonstrated the connections. The talk is a total waste of time. He never says anything about atheists, or believers vs non-believers. It actually refutes your group division, (see 16:00). Conclusion : Blowme is more profoundly stupid than we even imagined.

The people who attended the talk gave him a standing ovation. So while you may have not seen anything insightful from it many others did (which I am not surprised because you're about as smart as slime mold).

He did say that atheists were less likely to cheat if they first swore on the bible but that was more of a passing comment. You are right in that he doesn't really single groups out but rather talks about humanity in general. I don't think it is reasonable to conclude that atheists are a special case and therefore don't engage in the behavior he is observes in his experiments. Atheist are probably like the rest of humanity and will be shown to cheat less if they are reminded to behave morally.

All else being equal if religious people are constantly being reminded to behave morally and atheists are not, shouldn't religious people behave more morally?
24-08-2016, 06:32 AM
(24-08-2016 06:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Maybe you need to be reminded. Watching this idiot talk is totally irrelevant. He conflates all kinds of irrelevant nonsense that is really not related. The crap about his pain is irrelevant to social situations. He has not demonstrated the connections. The talk is a total waste of time. He never says anything about atheists, or believers vs non-believers. It actually refutes your group division, (see 16:00). Conclusion : Blowme is more profoundly stupid than we even imagined.

The people who attended the talk gave him a standing ovation. So while you may have not seen anything insightful from it many others did (which I am not surprised because you're about as smart as slime mold).

He did say that atheists were less likely to cheat if they first swore on the bible but that was more of a passing comment. You are right in that he doesn't really single groups out but rather talks about humanity in general. I don't think it is reasonable to conclude that atheists are a special case and therefore don't engage in the behavior he is observes in his experiments. Atheist are probably like the rest of humanity and will be shown to cheat less if they are reminded to behave morally.

All else being equal if religious people are constantly being reminded to behave morally and atheists are not, shouldn't religious people behave more morally?

Protip : all things are not equal, and HE pointed that out.
You apparently missed it.
BTW, I submit the entire thing was an appeal to emotion. He preyed on their sympathies, not their brains. The entire thing was a poorly reasoned attempt at sympathy for his burns and pain, and THAT was why they applauded as they did. The entire first half was utter bullshit, and pointless. It's the worst TED talk I ever saw.

24-08-2016, 06:42 AM
(24-08-2016 06:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:24 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The people who attended the talk gave him a standing ovation. So while you may have not seen anything insightful from it many others did (which I am not surprised because you're about as smart as slime mold).

Protip : all things are not equal, and HE pointed that out.
BTW, I submit the entire thing was an appeal to emotion. He preyed on their sympathies, not their brains. The entire thing was a poorly reasoned attempt at sympathy for his burns and pain, and THAT was why they applauded as they did. The entire first half was utter bullshit, and pointless. It's the worst TED talk I ever saw.

I'm sure you found the talk was not as interesting at the episodes of Seasame Street you normally watch on PBS.
24-08-2016, 07:03 AM
(24-08-2016 06:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:32 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Protip : all things are not equal, and HE pointed that out.

I'm sure you found the talk was not as interesting at the episodes of Seasame Street you normally watch on PBS.

Oooooooooooooooh, man, what a buuurn. Rolleyes

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2016, 07:23 AM
(24-08-2016 07:03 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm sure you found the talk was not as interesting at the episodes of Seasame Street you normally watch on PBS.

Oooooooooooooooh, man, what a buuurn. Rolleyes

If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid. How is that for burn?
24-08-2016, 08:35 AM
I've always fucking hated this question. I would say the worst part of this question is that every time someone brings it up, they think they are the first person to ever bring this up and have completely proven god. Very annoying.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post