Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-08-2016, 10:20 AM
RE: Do Atheist need to be remided to be moral?
Why do theists make up the vast majority of the prison population? Guess weekly church reminders don't do too much because atheists make up less than .07 percent of the prison population while the general atheist population is about 10% You'd think the entire population would be atheists because we have no morals....... but nope, no, nada, niet, diddly-do-da-no. Theists make up almost all of the prisoners.

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-ri...its-prison

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Yawn. You know there are tons of Christians who are hypocrites? Let's just ignore that.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-08-2016, 11:02 AM
(24-08-2016 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Why do theists make up the vast majority of the prison population? Guess weekly church reminders don't do too much because atheists make up less than .07 percent of the prison population while the general atheist population is about 10% You'd think the entire population would be atheists because we have no morals....... but nope, no, nada, niet, diddly-do-da-no. Theists make up almost all of the prisoners.

So..... the population most in need of being reminded not to cheat, steal and murder people is the vey one who are already 'being reminded' in church. Maybe this just isn't the church's strong suit.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-08-2016, 11:06 AM
(24-08-2016 11:02 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Why do theists make up the vast majority of the prison population? Guess weekly church reminders don't do too much because atheists make up less than .07 percent of the prison population while the general atheist population is about 10% You'd think the entire population would be atheists because we have no morals....... but nope, no, nada, niet, diddly-do-da-no. Theists make up almost all of the prisoners.

So..... the population most in need of being reminded not to cheat, steal and murder people is the vey one who are already 'being reminded' in church. Maybe this just isn't the church's strong suit.

Well, see, they have this "get out of jail free" card (at least Catholics do) -- it doesn't matter how many bad things you've done, or how bad they are -- you just go to confession, say a few prayers, and "it's all good". I think having this "easy out" might contribute to their lack of morals. Ironic, isn't it?
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Just how often does a reasonably intelligent person have to be reminded of anything?

I also have to wonder if this moral reminder wears off as the week goes on and that's why you would have to go back to be smacked up the side of the head. So people who need this are okay on Sunday but by Friday they are uncaring, immoral jerks again? Is that the lesson here?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
24-08-2016, 11:24 AM
The idea that we need to be reminded weekly to be moral is ridiculous but there is
this report. Basically, people were better behaved when there were pictures of eyes looking at them. Of course, there's no reason to think that it applies differently to theists than it does to atheists or that it applies to actions of more consequence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
24-08-2016, 11:27 AM
My children need to be reminded of things but they are 13 & 14. Occasionally, I'll forget something small, well to be honest I do forget birthdays quite a bit, but I don't seem to need reminders about the big stuff: don't kill someone, don't break vows/promises, don't beat others you are bigger than, etc. Even though my kids are still just kids and responsibility isn't as ingrained in them as much as I like, I don't remind them weekly about not killing or raping or whatever and that is done without church. I don't think I've ever told them not to kill someone, sure there's been some talks about harming bugs, etc but somehow without the church's hypocritical confusing and guilt inducing message, they are ok so far. I think I like the current progression, thank you blowme without some iron age fairy tale as a moral compass.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
24-08-2016, 12:04 PM
(24-08-2016 03:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do Atheists need to be reminded to be moral? Well if they are like everyone else then they just might.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_o...moral_code

Religious people get reminded in church to be moral. Where do atheist's get their reminders? Please don't bother responding to the thread if you aren't going to watch the tedtalk.

From Chuck norris duh. Do as chuck Norris says or mister Norris will roundhouse kick you to oblivion.Yes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
24-08-2016, 12:16 PM
(24-08-2016 04:41 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  ... I just can't take anyone seriously named "Heywood Jahblome" ...

You do have to wonder at the type of mind that chooses to represent itself to the world as a puerile (and stale) pun it'd be embarrassed to tell a first date - or doesn't know it could be embarrassing to tell a first date - or thinks it'd be clever to tell a first date. Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
24-08-2016, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 12:27 PM by epronovost.)
(24-08-2016 03:26 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do Atheists need to be reminded to be moral? Well if they are like everyone else then they just might.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_on_o...moral_code

Religious people get reminded in church to be moral. Where do atheist's get their reminders? Please don't bother responding to the thread if you aren't going to watch the tedtalk.

Atheists, or non practicing theist do get moral reminder on a daily basis thanks to our entertainment industry which is filled with moralist lessons or dilemmas amongst other thing. Police drama and super hero comic books for exemple are powerful vehicule of moralist agenda. While it is probably true that people behave in more «honest and moral» fashion when they are reminded to do so, it doesn't need to be formal reminder, especially for well adjusted adults. In general, you can saythat most people get their daily/weekly reminder to be moral from a variety of sources that goes from news outlets, bloggs, entertainment, educationnal material or discussion with other human beings on various subjects of concern. I would be even tempted to say that an exposition to various moral codes and point of views improve much our «moral sense» then formal reminders. Of coure, a reminder is as good as the moral code it tries to reinforce.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post