Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Tongue Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?
I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RuthD's post
08-12-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

I agree with what Seth has to say about it! Shy When I actually make it down to see them, for me it's about getting together with family and getting drunk & playing cards with the cool ones, while the happy-happy-joy-joy crowd goes driving around looking at lights, & singing carols Laugh out load

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
08-12-2014, 05:58 PM
(08-12-2014 05:44 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?

I second what Gulegon wrote. Seth did a great job with this. My son, who is 7 asked about christmas the other day and my wife (a believer) said that some people celebrate Jesus' b-Day on it. I then followed it up with essentially the same thing that Seth said (which actually got me in a bit of hot water). This time of year has always been about those you love, whether real or imagined.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
08-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Sure. It's mostly pagan. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2014, 06:05 PM
(08-12-2014 05:44 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?

I don't do anything for Christmas.

On Giftmas, however... I like to partake in the reception and exchange of gifts or money from family.

Fortunately, I was excused from buying gifts for my mother's side since I'm supposed to be saving as much as a I can for the coming year and am otherwise strapped for cash...

Usually, I would go with my father's side up to a caravan park to camp and see my grandparents far up the peninsula. However, I decided to stay with my mother this year... So I'll probably be lounging about at home all day, instead of in a tent all week.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-12-2014, 07:27 PM
In a sort of "fuck you" ironic way, yes.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
08-12-2014, 07:42 PM
(08-12-2014 06:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sure. It's mostly pagan. Drinking Beverage

Exactly. The holiday was around a long time before Christianity, exactly why would I let them hijack it? Christians don't have the market cornered on getting together with family, overeating, and partying it up.
[+] 6 users Like Superluminal's post
08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
(08-12-2014 07:42 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  Christians don't have the market cornered on getting together with family, overeating, and partying it up.

Amen.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I fucking love Christmas. I love the decorations, the music (even the religious stuff), the food, the family get-togethers, the gift-giving, the cheesy TV specials, whole nine yards. My in-laws are Catholic, and now watching the midnight mass on Christmas Eve is part of my yearly routine.

I know this is weird and I won't pretend that it isn't. I've loved Christmas stuff for as long as I can remember, and even though the religious part played a major role during my life prior to deconversion, there was still a bunch of secular stuff that was always a part of it, and I never saw reason to ditch it completely just because I didn't believe in the religious aspect anymore. I never believed in Santa, but the songs and images and stories about him were always a part of it, even when I knew it wasn't real. Now I treat the stuff about Jesus the same way.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 3 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
08-12-2014, 07:50 PM
I tried to stop celebrating but I'm conditioned just like everyone else, and I found if I don't participate somewhat I'm shunned or misjudged by my family and friends. Until January. Hahaha! I do love the smell of a pine in my home so I do the tree, but not with santas and jesuses. I keep it... just wintery.

~incrédulité~