Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
RE: Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?
Of course we should celebrate Christmas. It is after all Santas birthday.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, with two kids you don't get much choice, its all about Santa.

My kids are 9 & 11, we pretend that we don't know Santa and the elf on the shelf are just pretend.

ie: they know its make believe but they still want to play 'the game' So we do.

Its actually more fun this way because now they play 'the Santa' game with each other and have begun creating the Christmas magic/spirit and fun themselves to share with others. Its like they have fully embraced it rather than just receiving.

Christmas tree, gifts, treats, Santa, candy canes, twinkle lights, stockings by the fire, chorus performances, yep...thats us.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
08-12-2014, 08:13 PM
I like to celebrate Christmas more as Winter Solstice. I can't imagine winter without some sort of celebration. It's something to do on those long, dark winter nights. It's social, it's colorful, it's fun, it keeps people busy, it helps employ people and there's lots of food especially.......hot chocolate. Drooling

To the folks down in Australia, I imagine it's fun in a different way. I understand they eat lobster at Christmas/Summer Solstice. Is this true?

Lobster....Drooling Heart Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-12-2014, 08:16 PM
(08-12-2014 05:53 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

I agree with what Seth has to say about it! Shy When I actually make it down to see them, for me it's about getting together with family and getting drunk & playing cards with the cool ones, while the happy-happy-joy-joy crowd goes driving around looking at lights, & singing carols Laugh out load

Anyone what to start celebrating Thursday ?

The second mouse gets the cheese.
08-12-2014, 08:28 PM
(08-12-2014 06:05 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 05:44 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?

I don't do anything for Christmas.

On Giftmas, however... I like to partake in the reception and exchange of gifts or money from family.

Fortunately, I was excused from buying gifts for my mother's side since I'm supposed to be saving as much as a I can for the coming year and am otherwise strapped for cash...

Usually, I would go with my father's side up to a caravan park to camp and see my grandparents far up the peninsula. However, I decided to stay with my mother this year... So I'll probably be lounging about at home all day, instead of in a tent all week.

You live in Florida, don't you?

08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
(08-12-2014 08:04 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Well, with two kids you don't get much choice, its all about Santa.

My kids are 9 & 11, we pretend that we don't know Santa and the elf on the shelf are just pretend.

ie: they know its make believe but they still want to play 'the game' So we do.

Its actually more fun this way because now they play 'the Santa' game with each other and have begun creating the Christmas magic/spirit and fun themselves to share with others. Its like they have fully embraced it rather than just receiving.

Christmas tree, gifts, treats, Santa, candy canes, twinkle lights, stockings by the fire, chorus performances, yep...thats us.

It's like Harry Potter with PRESENTS...How MAGICAL. Honestly that is the best way. Make it special. But explain to them that it is only fantasy.

08-12-2014, 09:30 PM
You all have interesting perspectives on celebrating. I like the trees and lights and gift giving, too. Plus it's a time to spend with loved ones.
09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
(08-12-2014 08:16 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Anyone what to start celebrating Thursday ?

Well, I celebrate "Hump Day" with my wife several times a week!!!!! Big Grin

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Yep. It brings family together, and we have a good time. Not much religion involved though.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
09-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Short answer: yes, but it is more complicated. We always get a christmas tree which my 4 year old loves to decorate, but I veto any nativity scenes. We have always sent holiday cards, but this is my first year sending "Heathen's Greetings" holiday cards. Luckily, my side of the family has declared a truce on exchanging gifts for a number of years. It is just great to get together with family; no need for gifts or baby saviors.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post