Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?
(08-12-2014 05:44 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?

I do. My mom as a child got all dressed up, and went to church at midnight with her mom and dad. It's the one night of the year she still breaks out her mother's jewelry, and gets all dressed up, and she always asks me to go with her. I used to say ... "I suppose". Now I'd be hurt if she didn't ask me. I do it only for her. (And I can pinch the baby Jebus in the crib, and make him cry). Thumbsup
It's funny though. Where I live half the congregation that night is loaded, and reeks of alcohol. I usually see some old school friends and we gab a lot during the service, and pass notes on the order of service about what people are wearing. So mature. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
(09-12-2014 09:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 05:44 PM)RuthD Wrote:  I was a Christian when I was a child and then proclaimed to be one at times when I didn't even feel it. Now I am being honest as proclaiming I am an atheist. I don't believe in any God(s). My family (consisting of my brother and his family)has a get together on Christmas and exchange gifts and have a meal. I don't have any get togethers at this time of year. None of us go to church or anything like that yet we still have the get together on Christmas. I guess it's just tradition. I really don't care about the Christmas day now or celebrating it. If there was a Jesus I feel he was just another man on earth who they made up elaborate stories about after he died. I don't see how rational people can believe in a God. It seems to me that our Christmas is drawn out a long time to get people to buy a lot and spend a lot. I am not spending any money for this day. So, do you do anything on Christmas as an atheist?

I do. My mom as a child got all dressed up, and went to church at midnight with her mom and dad. It's the one night of the year she still breaks out her mother's jewelry, and gets all dressed up, and she always asks me to go with her. I used to say ... "I suppose". Now I'd be hurt if she didn't ask me. I do it only for her. (And I can pinch the baby Jebus in the crib, and make him cry). Thumbsup
It's funny though. Where I live half the congregation that night is loaded, and reeks of alcohol. I usually see some old school friends and we gab a lot during the service, and pass notes on the order of service about what people are wearing. So mature. Weeping

The true reason for the season, get drunk, go to church, punch the baby Jebus and connect with old friends.

Added bonus of making mom happy. Big Grin

I Heart you Bucky! Smile

It's about, to me, thinking of others.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-12-2014, 06:32 AM
(09-12-2014 09:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What part of me ever overworks itself?

The muscles used to frown, probably.

[Image: grumpy1-247x300.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-12-2014, 07:05 AM
I like Christmas Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-12-2014, 07:28 AM
(09-12-2014 10:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 09:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I do. My mom as a child got all dressed up, and went to church at midnight with her mom and dad. It's the one night of the year she still breaks out her mother's jewelry, and gets all dressed up, and she always asks me to go with her. I used to say ... "I suppose". Now I'd be hurt if she didn't ask me. I do it only for her. (And I can pinch the baby Jebus in the crib, and make him cry). Thumbsup

The true reason for the season, get drunk, go to church, punch the baby Jebus and connect with old friends.

Added bonus of making mom happy. Big Grin

I Heart you Bucky! Smile

It's about, to me, thinking of others.

Hug

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-12-2014, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 06:05 PM by DLJ.)
Depressingly, it's probably going to have to be this kinda thing again...

[Image: beach%20massage%20bintan201356122121.jpg]
[Image: Top-10-places-to-spend-your-2011-Christmas.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-12-2014, 04:59 PM
(09-12-2014 09:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

Your thread title question is stupid.
And you for saying it are acting stupid, no one else did.
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM
(08-12-2014 07:47 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  I fucking love Christmas. I love the decorations, the music (even the religious stuff), the food, the family get-togethers, the gift-giving, the cheesy TV specials, whole nine yards. My in-laws are Catholic, and now watching the midnight mass on Christmas Eve is part of my yearly routine.

I know this is weird and I won't pretend that it isn't. I've loved Christmas stuff for as long as I can remember, and even though the religious part played a major role during my life prior to deconversion, there was still a bunch of secular stuff that was always a part of it, and I never saw reason to ditch it completely just because I didn't believe in the religious aspect anymore. I never believed in Santa, but the songs and images and stories about him were always a part of it, even when I knew it wasn't real. Now I treat the stuff about Jesus the same way.

The same for me. But I did believe in Santa as a kid. I even "heard" his sleigh bells one Christmas Eve. These days we go out just before Christmas and do the "Twelve pubs of Christmas" , one pint in each pub. The rest of the holiday is spent at home and visiting family.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-12-2014, 05:24 PM
(10-12-2014 04:59 PM)RuthD Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 09:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Your thread title question is stupid.
And you for saying it are acting stupid, no one else did.

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that a bases for something being stupid was determined by how many people participated in pointing out its stupidness and not actually based on the fact that it's fucking stupid you dumbass un-American vegan twat.

And in case you didn't pick up on it, I was being fucking sarcastic. Except the bit about you being a dumbass un-American vegan twat.
10-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Yes - any excuse for a boozy get-together...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g