Do Christians Even Care about the origins of The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Do Christians Even Care about the origins of The Bible?
I was perusing a message board the other day and someone is starting to read the bible. All the Christians think it's amazing and then the guy aska about the origins of the book. Why it was compiled, who set the standards for inclusion etc... And the guy was pretty much shot down straight away. He was told he didn't need to investigate, as the Holy Spirit would give him all the answers.

Why was he not encouraged to investigate the origins of the bible?

Why was he given a hard time for not accepting it on face value and wanting to investigate the origins?

Shouldn't Christians be encouraging this? What are they afraid of?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheStraightener's post
07-07-2015, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 05:42 PM by cactus.)
RE: Do Christians Even Care about the origins of The Bible?
When they say "No, don't think about it too much!" it's not that they're actually conspiring to hide something (most of them probably don't have the faintest idea of the Bible's history or the pagan origins of Christianity). They're just parroting back what they've been taught, and what their parents & pastors were taught by the people before them, etc etc, which is to believe first and ask questions l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ never. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy of ignorance, passed down from one generation to the next.

Why don't these people want to ask critical questions about their faith? because someone else told them not to, it's as simple as that. They're just victims caught up in someone else's web of lies.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
07-07-2015, 05:39 PM
(07-07-2015 05:13 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I was perusing a message board the other day and someone is starting to read the bible. All the Christians think it's amazing and then the guy aska about the origins of the book. Why it was compiled, who set the standards for inclusion etc... And the guy was pretty much shot down straight away. He was told he didn't need to investigate, as the Holy Spirit would give him all the answers.

Why was he given a hard time for not accepting it on face value and wanting to investigate the origins?

When I was kid, I used to think there was some original bible, held in a glass box somewhere for preservation. No one ever told me this, and I just though it was the case. So when I learned of how fragmented it all was it was a bit of a shock.

But no one ever really discouraged me from exploring these questions, while others would reveal that they'd feel uncomfortable doing so themselves, because they believed their faith to be too fragile, for the sort of questions such inquiries unearth.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
07-07-2015, 05:43 PM
I've asked myself this a million times.

I don't think they care at all.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Which bible?

When I was a kid, we catholics liked to to tell the protestants that out bible was real because we had three books that they didn't. But I believe the eastern orthodox version has three that bwe didn't have.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Depends on the type. One of the great powers of "liberal" Christianity is how little concrete things matter because God "inspired" "influenced" "directed" or whatever idea is all you need to say and it's as good as settled.

Flaws clearly there in the bible copied version.. well that guy wasn't god inspired but the one who "fixed" it and we know he did properly did so because he had the words of God being copied down to him... It's the great nothing actually matters coverall.

Yet YEC's do care but they aren't going to trust any of your scientific or archaeological claims about it. Just their websites or preachers claims and believe Moses wrote the first 5 books including sections after his death including his funeral.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
07-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Do a Google search of "who wrote the bible?"

Eight out of ten search results on the first page yield apologist sites asserting it's supernatural inspiration.

You don't even see anything about the documentary hypothesis until you get to number nine and ten!

Yeah, they're scared shitless of that information getting out without them providing an apologetic explanation.

It's certainly hidden from the average person that sits in the congregations of churches, the pastors will not honestly explain this to their sheep.

The internet's a bitch if you're a theist. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Quote:Why was he not encouraged to investigate the origins of the bible?

Because he was talking to a board full of morons who think there is a holy fucking spirit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
07-07-2015, 07:36 PM
(07-07-2015 05:13 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I was perusing a message board the other day and someone is starting to read the bible. All the Christians think it's amazing and then the guy aska about the origins of the book. Why it was compiled, who set the standards for inclusion etc... And the guy was pretty much shot down straight away. He was told he didn't need to investigate, as the Holy Spirit would give him all the answers.

They're afraid of what they'd find, and they know it won't be pretty.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ic-Origins
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-07-2015, 08:48 PM
(07-07-2015 07:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Do a Google search of "who wrote the bible?"

Eight out of ten search results on the first page yield apologist sites asserting it's supernatural inspiration.

You don't even see anything about the documentary hypothesis until you get to number nine and ten!

Yeah, they're scared shitless of that information getting out without them providing an apologetic explanation.

It's certainly hidden from the average person that sits in the congregations of churches, the pastors will not honestly explain this to their sheep.

The internet's a bitch if you're a theist. Big Grin

Quote:Eight out of ten search results on the first page yield apologist sites asserting it's supernatural inspiration.

Ohhh, but that 9th and 10th search might be "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Elliott Friedman and if they actually take the time to read this book their brains might explode.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post