Do Christians Even Care about the origins of The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 01:51 AM
RE: Do Christians Even Care about the origins of The Bible?
I doubt that Christians care about Bible at all apart from using it as a tool for discrimination and as a source to pick some "deep" statements. Or maybe a symbol of their faith. I don't see many (or even few) Christians who live by all biblical rules and for whose it's really mean something; they only tell that is important, living by it is different matter.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
08-07-2015, 01:59 AM
(07-07-2015 05:13 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I was perusing a message board the other day and someone is starting to read the bible. All the Christians think it's amazing and then the guy aska about the origins of the book. Why it was compiled, who set the standards for inclusion etc... And the guy was pretty much shot down straight away. He was told he didn't need to investigate, as the Holy Spirit would give him all the answers.

Why was he not encouraged to investigate the origins of the bible?

Why was he given a hard time for not accepting it on face value and wanting to investigate the origins?

Shouldn't Christians be encouraging this? What are they afraid of?

They are terrified of what it contains. The history is such that much was done to stop it being translated into modern languages such as English.

The first hand-written English language Bible manuscripts were produced in the 1380's AD by John Wycliffe, an Oxford professor, scholar, and theologian. Wycliffe, (also spelled “Wycliff” & “Wyclif”), was well-known throughout Europe for his opposition to the teaching of the organized Church, which he believed to be contrary to the Bible. With the help of his followers, called the Lollards, and his assistant Purvey, and many other faithful scribes, Wycliffe produced dozens of English language manuscript copies of the scriptures. They were translated out of the Latin Vulgate, which was the only source text available to Wycliffe. The Pope was so infuriated by his teachings and his translation of the Bible into English, that 44 years after Wycliffe had died, he ordered the bones to be dug-up, crushed, and scattered in the river!

A very good article on the history of the bible can be found here:English Bible history pre reformation.

Happily it is quite short. You can find a number of such pages here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
08-07-2015, 08:03 AM
(07-07-2015 07:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Why was he not encouraged to investigate the origins of the bible?

Because he was talking to a board full of morons who think there is a holy fucking spirit.

You make a spirited argument. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
It's just like a magician.......

It doesn't seem real if you know the trick..........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-07-2015, 10:01 AM
A very good friend of mine admitted to me several months ago that she had started doubting because of my apostasy. When I started asking her the same questions I had asked myself she later said those questions didn't matter that God would take care of it all in the end. I hadn't even entered into the heavy hitting at this point in the conversation.

I had merely asked:
How do know for sure what heaven will be like or how will we be happy there knowing our loved ones were in hell? If you had been born in India and raised in Hinduism and had complete faith in it, would you still go to hell? Would that be fair?

My point here is we, as a society, have shot ourselves in the ass. Even though we have made knowledge extremely easy to access, we have become very lazy in the interim. No one wants to put in the hard work, study, or time.

Circling around to the OP I think there are correlations between this characteristic and not caring about the history of the bible or it's origins. The work is too hard and they don't think it will fundamentally matter enough to their decision to follow christ (how ironic). That's if they have even considered the question at all. Many christians are so intellectually lazy when it comes to areas of religion that they just don't care to learn.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
(07-07-2015 08:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 07:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Do a Google search of "who wrote the bible?"

Eight out of ten search results on the first page yield apologist sites asserting it's supernatural inspiration.

You don't even see anything about the documentary hypothesis until you get to number nine and ten!

Yeah, they're scared shitless of that information getting out without them providing an apologetic explanation.

It's certainly hidden from the average person that sits in the congregations of churches, the pastors will not honestly explain this to their sheep.

The internet's a bitch if you're a theist. Big Grin

Quote:Eight out of ten search results on the first page yield apologist sites asserting it's supernatural inspiration.

Ohhh, but that 9th and 10th search might be "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Elliott Friedman and if they actually take the time to read this book their brains might explode.

A very fine book. Also "How the Bible Became a Book .. The Textualization of Ancient Israel" Dr. William Schneidewind - UCLA

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I doubt most care. I have had a few even flat out tell me that if there was evidence that they were wrong, they wouldn't want to know.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
09-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Thinking for yourself is the Devil!

Now you come on inside an let momma brush your hair.
09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Question's lead to Answer's. Answer's lead to Understanding. Understanding lead to Deconversions.

[Image: Yoda_35626.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
09-07-2015, 10:06 AM
In my experience the xians that want to force their opinions and ways onto others have zero interest in the origins of the bible.

The only xians I know that show interest are so liberal that they are of no consequence to anyone.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume