Do Christians believe animals have souls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Do Christians believe animals have souls?
I know some about Christianity, but not all as I was never Christian and never taught Christianity.

So do Christians believe non-human animals have souls? If not, are humans "special" because we supposedly have souls while other animals do not?

If that's the case, what would it mean to Christians if another species of animal developed enough intelligence to form communities/cultures/tribes that could communicate, through language, to each other and us?

Since many of you are previous Christians maybe you would have a thought. Just thinking..Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 05:57 PM
RE: Do Christians believe animals have souls?
As it is, most people view humanity as completely separate from other animals. There's usually God, Man, the animals, microbes, and plants. But if other species could communicate abstract thoughts to us, that would create an interesting problem. The qualities used to justify our uniqueness would no longer be ours alone. Are other intelligent species still mindless creatures to be used by man as he pleases, or are they another creation of the gods, equal to man?

I'd welcome them as equals, because that would be awesome. I hope we do face this issue some day in the form of peaceful aliens or lab mutants. Unlikely, but I can dream.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
22-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Back when I was a catholic, I was taught that animals lacked a soul.

Ever since I started to see animals as my equals and dropped the idea that humans have a soul and animals do not, I get a bad taste in the mouth when I think about spay/neutering or some other surgical modification that lowers an animal's abilities.
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
22-11-2013, 06:28 PM
(22-11-2013 06:27 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Back when I was a catholic, I was taught that animals lacked a soul.

Ever since I started to see animals as my equals and dropped the idea that humans have a soul and animals do not, I get a bad taste in the mouth when I think about spay/neutering or some other surgical modification that lowers an animal's abilities.

So did getting my tubes tied lower my abilities? I haven't done anything to my critters that I didn't do to myself, and for the same reason.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Only dogs.

[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-1989.jpg]

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
22-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Though I've never witnessed evidence of souls in anything, I have spoken with people who displayed less personality than my dog!
[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
22-11-2013, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 07:54 PM by DemonicLemon.)
(22-11-2013 06:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So did getting my tubes tied lower my abilities? I haven't done anything to my critters that I didn't do to myself, and for the same reason.

I meant in cases where the animal does not request it to happen. And when I mean "lowering abilities" in the context of birth control, I just meant in that specific area. An organism after a birth control operation isn't expected to have children, but to have their other abilities untouched.

Did not mean to offend, just I consider neutering an animal to be similar to circumcising a human. Declawing cats and cutting a dog's vocal chords also fall under the category of "lowering abilities." If you chose it for yourself, no problem. Just when somebody makes that decision like that for another is what annoys me.

I apologize if this is taken the wrong way, I didn't mean to imply you or anyone is lesser for something like that.
and now I feel bad
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
22-11-2013, 07:58 PM
I was just asking for clarification. No offense taken. I think I misunderstood you at first.

I have never had a cat declawed. My father was a vet, I have seen it done and don't like it. Dogs bark, cats meow, my silly ass African Gray does both. If you want a quiet pet, get a beta...that's how I see it.

Other than the parrots, all my critters have now been fixed. Half our animals are rescues so I know there are too many animals that need homes and not enough homes for them all.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
22-11-2013, 08:27 PM
As adults, no. But as a child I believed my pet would meet me in heaven. Sad

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
22-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, it really depends on which "christian" you're asking. Laughat
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-011_zps34811c98.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-022_zps42445f95.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-032_zpscb490991.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-042_zps68f28f69.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-052_zps07777fb6.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-062_zpsbe4c25b9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-072_zps426ed1e9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-082_zpsdd60e1ff.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-092_zps3f995c19.jpg]

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 9 users Like evenheathen's post