Do Christians believe animals have souls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 08:52 PM
RE: Do Christians believe animals have souls?
(22-11-2013 08:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well, it really depends on which "christian" you're asking. Laughat

Haha, dude is that real? Or photo manipulation? That's hilarious if two nearby churches have signboard feuds.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 08:55 PM
(22-11-2013 08:52 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well, it really depends on which "christian" you're asking. Laughat

Haha, dude is that real? Or photo manipulation? That's hilarious if two nearby churches have signboard feuds.

Alas, snopes says it's a fake. But it's still funny. Shy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-11-2013, 08:56 PM
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-011_zps34811c98.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-022_zps42445f95.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-032_zpscb490991.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-042_zps68f28f69.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-052_zps07777fb6.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-062_zpsbe4c25b9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-072_zps426ed1e9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-082_zpsdd60e1ff.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-092_zps3f995c19.jpg]

well they must have fun. The signboards in my town just have psalms, so lame.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 08:57 PM
While they clearly believe that humans are special and unique in the soul department (as mentioned above), they contradict themselves with concepts of a doggy heaven. I realize that it's usually intended as a comforting thought to ease the pain of loss, but it's still contradictory.

It's convenient that the pet always share's the same religion as the owner.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
22-11-2013, 08:59 PM
(22-11-2013 08:57 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  While they clearly believe that humans are special and unique in the soul department (as mentioned above), they contradict themselves with concepts of a doggy heaven. I realize that it's usually intended as a comforting thought to ease the pain of loss, but it's still contradictory.

It's convenient that the pet always share's the same religion as the owner.
oh and their children too

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 09:31 PM by TheGulegon.)
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-011_zps34811c98.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-022_zps42445f95.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-032_zpscb490991.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-042_zps68f28f69.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-052_zps07777fb6.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-062_zpsbe4c25b9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-072_zps426ed1e9.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-082_zpsdd60e1ff.jpg]
[Image: all-dogs-go-to-heaven-092_zps3f995c19.jpg]

That was fucking EPIC Thumbsup
Full of win, and fail, simultaneously Laugh out load
Fake? [edit]--> gawd <--[edit] Damn it! Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
22-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I always assume those church signs are fake. Scripturally, no.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2013, 10:12 PM
(22-11-2013 09:58 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I always assume those church signs are fake. Scripturally, no.

Apparently there's a "make your own church sign meme" website. I'd post a link, but honestly I don't care enough to look for it. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-11-2013, 12:19 AM
(22-11-2013 05:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  ...
So do Christians believe non-human animals have souls? If not, are humans "special" because we supposedly have souls while other animals do not?

If that's the case, what would it mean to Christians if another species of animal developed enough intelligence to form communities/cultures/tribes that could communicate, through language, to each other and us?

1) It depends. There are a lot of Christians who would say that animals have no soul. And there are the types of Christians like I was who love their animals so much that if they believe in a Heaven, then they also have to believe their animals will be in Heaven with them. Perhaps corny, but when I was a Christian, it gave no end of comfort to believe it. Of course, that's a different story now, and now the only "blessing" (If I can use a religious term here) is that those pets of mine that have died are no longer in pain.

2) What do you mean animals don't communicate through language? ;-) Put it this way, all my pets have been pretty good at talking to me, though it usually took some training on my part.

Okay, being serious now: I think it would seriously damage a lot of egos -- not just Christian egos, but anyone who considers themselves to be apart from the animals. I imagine that other religions have their share of those individuals as well. Plus it would probably create a pretty big problem for those who believe the animals were placed under their dominion (and to whom they do pretty what they please). The world would either change quite drastically, or those in power would do everything they could to prevent the animals from progressing further -- because who knows what animals might actually tell us about ourselves. (Frankly, they should be furious at most of humanity. But that's my opinion.)

Personally, I'd be overjoyed. I've always wanted to be able to talk to animals and know what they are saying beyond the vague intuitions currently possible. I've always wished they could truly tell me if they were happy, contented, or perhaps, where they hurt. Cultures would be icing on the cake.

But, wow, it would sure make eating meat a bit more difficult. It's hard enough as it is now -- most of us are separated from the act of killing our food by several degrees -- but if animals ever get to that point, I might just have to give up my beef.

~ Kerri

Recovering from Christianity, slowly, but surely.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ih8mondays's post
23-11-2013, 01:23 AM
(23-11-2013 12:19 AM)ih8mondays Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 05:37 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  ...
So do Christians believe non-human animals have souls? If not, are humans "special" because we supposedly have souls while other animals do not?

If that's the case, what would it mean to Christians if another species of animal developed enough intelligence to form communities/cultures/tribes that could communicate, through language, to each other and us?

1) It depends. There are a lot of Christians who would say that animals have no soul. And there are the types of Christians like I was who love their animals so much that if they believe in a Heaven, then they also have to believe their animals will be in Heaven with them. Perhaps corny, but when I was a Christian, it gave no end of comfort to believe it. Of course, that's a different story now, and now the only "blessing" (If I can use a religious term here) is that those pets of mine that have died are no longer in pain.

2) What do you mean animals don't communicate through language? ;-) Put it this way, all my pets have been pretty good at talking to me, though it usually took some training on my part.

Okay, being serious now: I think it would seriously damage a lot of egos -- not just Christian egos, but anyone who considers themselves to be apart from the animals. I imagine that other religions have their share of those individuals as well. Plus it would probably create a pretty big problem for those who believe the animals were placed under their dominion (and to whom they do pretty what they please). The world would either change quite drastically, or those in power would do everything they could to prevent the animals from progressing further -- because who knows what animals might actually tell us about ourselves. (Frankly, they should be furious at most of humanity. But that's my opinion.)

Personally, I'd be overjoyed. I've always wanted to be able to talk to animals and know what they are saying beyond the vague intuitions currently possible. I've always wished they could truly tell me if they were happy, contented, or perhaps, where they hurt. Cultures would be icing on the cake.

But, wow, it would sure make eating meat a bit more difficult. It's hard enough as it is now -- most of us are separated from the act of killing our food by several degrees -- but if animals ever get to that point, I might just have to give up my beef.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Big Grin

~ Umberto Eco