Do Christians deny the speed of light?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Do Christians deny the speed of light?
Do Christians believe in the speed of light? Do creationists do the same as well?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 05:53 AM by pablo.)
RE: Do Christians deny the speed of light?
(10-07-2014 05:05 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Do Christians believe in the speed of light? Do creationists do the same as well?

I don't know if they deny it or not, but I'm sure they'll believe it if they can find a way to give god credit for it. Yes
10-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Not sure I understand the thrust of the question?
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
10-07-2014, 05:22 AM
(10-07-2014 05:19 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Not sure I understand the thrust of the question?

Well, if a creationist were to agree that the speed of light is accurate in any way what so ever. It would add another contradiction in what they believe. That the world cannot possibly be as young as they think it does, because it takes millions of earth years for the light from all the stars we see to reach our world. We are looking at specs of light that are millions of years or older.

So, do they think that we have an accurate understanding of how fast light travels?

10-07-2014, 05:23 AM
Yes but Answers In Genesis calculates Godspeed to be twice as fast as Lightspeed.

... because it moves in mysterious waves.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
10-07-2014, 05:31 AM
(10-07-2014 05:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes but Answers In Genesis calculates Godspeed to be twice as fast as Lightspeed.

... because it moves in mysterious waves.

Drinking Beverage
Facepalm
10-07-2014, 05:34 AM
lol.

Curious, Even if you move twice the speed of light or 10x or even 100x We are still looking at light that is older then the earth currently is (according to them).

How would you explain this to someone who believes in a young earth? In a way their feeble small minds can comprehend that light cannot reach us from that star over there unless it had traveled for 10 million years etc.

Keep in mind, we are talking about the people who literally believe that daytime and night time existed before a light source or a planet.

10-07-2014, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 06:29 AM by DLJ.)
I think you're up against the argument that god has designed everything in such a was as to make it look like the light takes that long to reach us.

He probably did this before burying all those dinosaur bones... perhaps the third or fourth day?

Scientists have been duped... these light sources are not so far away; they're just smaller than we think.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Yes

10-07-2014, 06:26 AM
(10-07-2014 05:05 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Do Christians believe in the speed of light? Do creationists do the same as well?

I have many Christian/creationist acquaintances, and few believe the world is 6,000 years old.

The generalization here just drives me nuts.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
10-07-2014, 07:30 AM
(10-07-2014 05:34 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  lol.

Curious, Even if you move twice the speed of light or 10x or even 100x We are still looking at light that is older then the earth currently is (according to them).

How would you explain this to someone who believes in a young earth? In a way their feeble small minds can comprehend that light cannot reach us from that star over there unless it had traveled for 10 million years etc.

Keep in mind, we are talking about the people who literally believe that daytime and night time existed before a light source or a planet.
I have seen the YEC argument that distant (>6,000 LY) star light was created en route so that we ├╝ber special Earthlings can enjoy a pretty, twinkly night sky instead of shear blackness.
The problem with this argument is that it can circumvent all counter-evidence. In fact, one can go so far as to assert that the universe was created 30 seconds ago with everything made to appear billions of years older: starlight reaching Earth, fossils, childhood memories, dirty socks, scars, and dust on the mantle.
Fortunately, the apologist rhetoric can be dismissed just as easily as it's asserted.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 4 users Like Jeffasaurus's post