Do Christians deny the speed of light?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: Do Christians deny the speed of light?
Why would god go to such lengths to conceal his existence? Especially because man would not even be aware of these issues for most of his existence on earth? If the earth was 6,000 years old why would God create a paradox that took us over 5,900 years to figure out?

Given what a vengeful, spiteful god he was initially, why would he leave any doubts about his supreme authority and existence?

Make zero sense to me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
10-07-2014, 04:12 PM
(10-07-2014 01:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 01:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  You can't - you are clearly wrong.
Try again.

Young Earth Creationists have claimed that their view has its earliest roots in ancient Judaism, citing, for example, the commentary on Genesis by Ibn Ezra (c. 1089–1164).[4] Shai Cherry of Vanderbilt University notes that modern Jewish theologians have generally rejected such literal interpretations of the written text, and that even Jewish commentators who oppose some aspects of Darwinian thought generally accept scientific evidence that the Earth is much older.

That does not address the issue in any way. Try again. Or, actually, don't bother if that's the best you've got. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 04:52 PM
(10-07-2014 02:38 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Saying the earth is only 6,000 years old isn't the same as saying the universe is 6,000 years old. As far as I know, YEC's don't claim the universe is only 6,000 years old (correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually, I think many (if not most) of them do make that claim. Their whole rationale is that the creation account in Genesis is scientifically and historically accurate, and must be read literally. In Genesis, the earth was created before the stars, and in any event, all of it was created within a 6-day period, and therefore is approximately the same age (within 6 days). The 6000-year age is arrived at by adding up the lifespans of people as given in the Bible, starting with Adam -- and Adam was there only a few days after the creation of everything else. Ergo, the universe is 6000 years old.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-07-2014, 05:05 PM
(10-07-2014 04:52 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 02:38 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Saying the earth is only 6,000 years old isn't the same as saying the universe is 6,000 years old. As far as I know, YEC's don't claim the universe is only 6,000 years old (correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually, I think many (if not most) of them do make that claim. Their whole rationale is that the creation account in Genesis is scientifically and historically accurate, and must be read literally. In Genesis, the earth was created before the stars, and in any event, all of it was created within a 6-day period, and therefore is approximately the same age (within 6 days). The 6000-year age is arrived at by adding up the lifespans of people as given in the Bible, starting with Adam -- and Adam was there only a few days after the creation of everything else. Ergo, the universe is 6000 years old.

The Jehovah's Witnesses think its about 18,000 years old... Which is a step in the right direction.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 05:18 PM
(10-07-2014 05:05 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 04:52 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Actually, I think many (if not most) of them do make that claim. Their whole rationale is that the creation account in Genesis is scientifically and historically accurate, and must be read literally. In Genesis, the earth was created before the stars, and in any event, all of it was created within a 6-day period, and therefore is approximately the same age (within 6 days). The 6000-year age is arrived at by adding up the lifespans of people as given in the Bible, starting with Adam -- and Adam was there only a few days after the creation of everything else. Ergo, the universe is 6000 years old.

The Jehovah's Witnesses think its about 18,000 years old... Which is a step in the right direction.

I believe the equivalent for how wrong the YEC are is saying the distance from New York to Los Angeles is 40 feet. The JW are saying no it is 120 ft. So yeah a bit better but still horribly wrong.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-07-2014, 06:02 PM
(10-07-2014 02:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ...
Omphalic hypothesis.
(or the Last Thursday hypothesis)

I'm curious about the etymology...

Is that 'Omph' onomatopoeic?... Derived from the sound of palm hitting face?

Or does it come from a more literal 'zero miles per hour' (presumably the speed of light while god was getting all his tools and materials and shit together just before Genesis Chapter One)

Huh

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-07-2014, 06:12 PM
(10-07-2014 06:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 02:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ...
Omphalic hypothesis.
(or the Last Thursday hypothesis)

I'm curious about the etymology...

Or does it come from a more literal 'zero miles per hour' (presumably the speed of light while god was getting all his tools and materials and shit together just before Genesis Chapter One)

Huh
Perhaps it's a derivative of "omphalos" which refers to the naval, as in: "I came up with this 'last Thursday' idea while contemplating my naval."

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
10-07-2014, 06:34 PM
(10-07-2014 06:12 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 06:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm curious about the etymology...

Huh
Perhaps it's a derivative of "omphalos" which refers to the naval, as in: "I came up with this 'last Thursday' idea while contemplating my naval."

Interestingly, yes, it's from the Greek for navel (I do not think any ships were involved).

The reference is to the presumed navels of Adam and Eve - not being born, they never had umbilical cords...

... this is my signature!
10-07-2014, 08:14 PM
(10-07-2014 06:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 06:12 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Perhaps it's a derivative of "omphalos" which refers to the naval, as in: "I came up with this 'last Thursday' idea while contemplating my naval."

Interestingly, yes, it's from the Greek for navel (I do not think any ships were involved).
I blame alcohol for my homonym failure.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
10-07-2014, 08:38 PM
(10-07-2014 08:14 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 06:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Interestingly, yes, it's from the Greek for navel (I do not think any ships were involved).
I blame alcohol for my homonym failure.

Homophone.
Wink

... this is my signature!