Do Christians have a hollow head as most Atheists claim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Do Christians have a hollow head as most Atheists claim?
I thought the question was legitimate in view of its sister thread that seems so popular.

So, what do you think?

Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM

RE: Do all Theists have a hollow head as most Atheists claim?
(01-12-2011 09:12 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I thought the question was legitimate in view of its sister thread that seems so popular.

So, what do you think?

Tongue

Hmmmmm not at all Smile
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
RE: Do all Christians have a hollow head as most Atheists claim?
(01-12-2011 09:12 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I thought the question was legitimate in view of its sister thread that seems so popular.

So, what do you think?

Tongue

Seems like an equally fair question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 09:23 PM
RE: Do Christians have a hollow head as most Atheists claim?
Yes. Definitely.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
01-12-2011, 09:58 PM
(01-12-2011 09:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes. Definitely.

I'll second King's response.

Cool

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
It's essential for receiving Jesus waves. You know, the ones no scientist can find. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-12-2011, 05:38 AM
It differs depending on how much evidence they are willing to ignore because it disproves their belief of events.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
02-12-2011, 10:06 AM
No not all christians are stupid. The vast majority of people are a little dim but that just means that the vast majority of christians fall right in line with the typical intelligence level. They obviously lack some info in areas that their religion tells them to avoid, but they make up for that in some other way for the most part.

We like to pretend that they are below us intellectually probably for the same reason they do it. Because it's the only way we can explain their belief in the ridiculous. They are as pompous as we are. They may as a majority not be interested in the same things as us (those that we deem to mark intelligence) such as the sciences, but that doesn't make them dumb.

Oddly counter to my argument I remember reading a study that found that christians in particular had lower intelligence levels than those claiming no religious affiliation. I don't remember where I found this study, nor who had done it, and I don't personally place much value on studies of this nature... but where was I?... Let's just forget I mentioned it at all.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
02-12-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm not a full atheist, so take that into consideration.I believe in some things that Christians state, but I don't agree with most of them.

Like the whole book of Leviticus damns homosexuals, & people of that nature.
But, if you research as itsFerdinand has, it states that the whole book of Leviticus was written for priests; which means, it would not pertain to us.
So why should I be "damned to Hell" if it never told me, personally not to lust for the same sex?

Just some of the things that people say about Christianity, sounds bogus.

I do believe that a god created the world.
Not "Jesus Christ", but a god.
[+] 1 user Likes calmyourtitsbro's post
02-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I agree with Lucradis on this one.

And that study would potentially be biased in that there may be a direct correlation with education and social standing which may also correlate with disbelief. If this is the case, then intelligence level (however one accurately measures that) may correspond with belief as a result of social standing and not intelligence. In other words it has to do with the quality/quantity of education available and the quality/quantity of education attained more than it does with some "intelligence" level and that correlates strongly with social standing.

But as I said at the beginning, I agree with Lucardis. Most people who believe strongly in the bible are at least of "normal" intelligence. They simply place their intellectual trust in the bible rather than the logic and reason of science. They are ignorant of science in the sense that they have never studied it, but they are stupid in the sense that they know it is out there and remain willfully ignorant. (I should point out that my uses of ignorant mean a lack of knowledge and stupid is willful ignorance)

So in one sense they are no less intelligent but by remaining willfully ignorant of science they are (by my definition) stupid. I suppose they may call me stupid with respect to the bible (as I am no biblical scholar) and that may be true, but I have at least given it a fair chance and I have not remained willfully ignorant of what it says.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post