Do Christians really love God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Do Christians really love God?
Hi there!

So, this is a question that occurred to me while I was listening to the podcast Clash from the Past. Christians say all the time that they LOVE god, but aren't they just repeating what everyone else is saying? Aren't they trying to convince themselves by repeating over and over they love God? In other words, is it even possible for a sane person to love something imaginary (as we believe god to be) the same way as a family member, a partner, or a friend? I know they believe god is real, but he behaves in the exact same way an imaginary being would, and Christians interact with him in much the same way you would with an imaginary being; by talking to yourself.

Think about the people or pets you love and why you love them. Is it not because of the time you've been together, what you've been through together, the experiences and other things you've shared? How can you have that with an imaginary being? With someone whose voice you've never heard, face you've never seen, skin you've never touched or mind you've never gotten to know? Someone who's supposedly 'there', but not 'there' as are all other physical beings we've evolved to love and relate with?

There are crazy people out there who come up with imaginary friends and communicate with them as if they were real. If you were able to create imaginary beings and convince yourself they are real, you could convince yourself you are talking to them, sharing experiences with them and creating memories with them. You could then love them as if they were real...but you would be BAT-SHIT CRAZY!

Which leads me to the conclusion that, yes, SOME Christians can actually feel LOVE for god (and by love I mean the same love you would feel for an actual person) but that this is actually a symptom of some degree of mental instability, because no mentally stable person would be able to convince him/herself with such deep conviction that they are actually communicating or sharing experiences with someone who they can't see, hear or touch to the point where they would actually feel LOVE for that someone. Otherwise, it wont be enough to inspire love.

I was a Christian throughout the majority of my life (raised evangelical christian, deconverted when I turned 18, I'm 23 now), I can say without a doubt I NEVER felt actual love for god. I was just repeating what everyone else was saying until it became a habit. This leads me to think the majority of Christians don't actually love god, they just say it because it's what they are supposed to feel and it is what everyone says.

They don't really LOVE god, let alone love him above all things, unless they are batshit crazy, which some of them are.

What do you think? Is it possible? and if you were once religious, did you feel actual LOVE for god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes IgniteThought's post
29-07-2013, 03:59 AM
RE: Do Christians really love God?
A friend posted an FB status today about this. Something on the lines of if you love anyone more than God then you're doing it wrong. I thought about trying to describe to him how totally fucked in the head he must be... but in the end I left it... Even if it's possible to love God to that degree, to waste all that affection on the Emptiness, and furthermore to feel guilty about not loving the Emptiness more than your family, and to claim loving Emptiness as somehow a good and moral thing to do... yeah... fucked up.
29-07-2013, 06:25 AM
They don't love god, they don't even really believe there is a real god. What they do is love themselves and their narrow-minded bigotry.

Except for KC. He's alright. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 06:28 AM
(29-07-2013 06:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Except for KC. He's alright. Thumbsup

Are you shitting me? His theological belief is among one of the most self-centered religious ideologies in the world. Drinking Beverage

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
29-07-2013, 06:39 AM
(29-07-2013 06:28 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 06:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Except for KC. He's alright. Thumbsup

Are you shitting me? His theological belief is among one of the most self-centered religious ideologies in the world. Drinking Beverage

Firstly, among one? Blink

Secondly, the context is that he seems to love god and believe god is real.

Thirdly, I wouldn't shit you, you're too big of a turd. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 06:48 AM
(29-07-2013 06:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Firstly, among one? Blink

Calvinist predestination.

(29-07-2013 06:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Secondly, the context is that he seems to love god and believe god is real.

No, he says he believes God is real.

(29-07-2013 06:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Thirdly, I wouldn't shit you, you're too big of a turd. Tongue

Love you too, mate! Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
29-07-2013, 06:54 AM
(29-07-2013 06:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 06:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Firstly, among one? Blink

Calvinist predestination.

Nah. What I meant there was it read to me as superfluous wording, to say "among one of the" instead of just "among the." No big, it just read as awkward to me.

And the thing about KC, for all his theological whack, he reads as a genuinely compassionate individual. I don't get that from most Christians.

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-07-2013, 07:30 AM
(29-07-2013 06:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Nah. What I meant there was it read to me as superfluous wording, to say "among one of the" instead of just "among the." No big, it just read as awkward to me.

And the thing about KC, for all his theological whack, he reads as a genuinely compassionate individual. I don't get that from most Christians.

I don't perceive genuine compassion from most fundamentalist Christians, but I get your meaning.

29-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't believe most Christians' love for God is genuine because they want something from him. That's sort of why prayer was invented, and let's not forget the ultimate reward:eternity in paradise. They spend their entire lives kissing up to God, so they can go to heaven. Though how Christians 'get away' with being judgmental bullies paraphrasing parts of the bible they like is beyond me. You'd think they'd be 'better' than displaying such hostility. Didn't Jesus say 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?' *shrugs*

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
29-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Is it possible to love someone that you can't regularly spend time with? Of course! I was also a former Christian, and I undoubtedly put God's will before mine on most occasions because of that love, even when it required personal sacrifice. I also loved my daughter long before she was born, and I felt love for a young Brazillian girl that I was supporting "for less than the cost of a coffee per day" back when I could afford to do so. Love isn't *only* built from proximity and interaction... those things just make it stronger.

It's also fair to say that many Christians who claim to love God only do so because it is acceptable in their group while being taboo to say that they don't, in much the same way that American society views love for one's children. But are we any better? When the subject of morality comes up, I see much more appreciation for humanism and ethics than I see examples of people acting on those principles. Do I need to cite examples of atheists on this forum claiming the moral high ground in one post while being demeaning or insulting in another? Of course Christians claim to love God -- they have so much to lose by being truthful if they don't, and so little to lose when they don't demonstrate such love because their peers will simply rationalize those actions. But let's keep in mind that this is a "human" problem, not a "Christian" one.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post