Do Gideon bibles make good kindling?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Do Gideon bibles make good kindling?
We're about to install a wood burning stove. We don't have any free newspapers delivered to our new house. We've only just managed to stop the Postman from incinerating our mail because for the last few years there hasn't been any post box to put stuff into. Knowing how much junk mail was delivered in our last flat I'm not going to inform anyone else that we now have a post box.

So I naturally thought of Gideon bibles as an alternative. My main worry though is that I want to be able to put wood ash back in the garden which I will be using to grow fruit and vegetables and I wouldn't want to burn anything that contained too many chemicals. It's the same concern with burning printed cardboard packaging and newspapers though. So the main concern for burning a Gideon bible is the thickness of the pages, whether any nasty glue is used in the binding and whether the covers are plastic based.

My brother once told me over the phone that he helps distribute Gideon bibles and I would like to do my bit in making the world a better place by removing them where possible (I used to just underline all the unpleasant passages but that seems kind of time-consuming and pointless).

I see religion as something akin to a parasitic infection. I am also well aware how society is driven by economics and if we all started to remove Gideon bibles then we might help stymie the spread of Christianity considering that each bible is actually rather good quality. Apparently each Gideon bible costs about 5 dollars, has a 6 year life expectancy and is expected to be available to about 2,300 people.

I wouldn't want to fill landfill sites up further, but putting Gideon bibles to use as kindling sounds like a good plan to me. Unless anyone can think of better uses?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
05-10-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: Do Gideon bibles make good kindling?
Emergency toilet paper.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I was wondering if I could put them through a shredder and dry out the kitchen waste in my compost bin where I leave it a couple of weeks before putting it in my wormery.

If the wormery is too wet then it gets infested with insects and mites. This might not work though if the pages are too thin. I'm going to have to take a close look at how thick the pages are in a Gideon bible next time I'm in a hotel room.
05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
(05-10-2014 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Emergency toilet paper.

Best not to. You don't want to get Deuteronomy smeared across your bum cheeks.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 3 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
05-10-2014, 11:30 AM
mmmmm bible smoked turkey Laugh out load

[Image: a4a3.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
05-10-2014, 11:31 AM
(05-10-2014 11:20 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I was wondering if I could put them through a shredder and dry out the kitchen waste in my compost bin where I leave it a couple of weeks before putting it in my wormery.

If the wormery is too wet then it gets infested with insects and mites. This might not work though if the pages are too thin. I'm going to have to take a close look at how thick the pages are in a Gideon bible next time I'm in a hotel room.

I too usually think "toilet paper", but finely cross-shredded "wormery" mulch would work. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-10-2014, 11:31 AM
(05-10-2014 11:25 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 11:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Emergency toilet paper.

Best not to. You don't want to get Deuteronomy smeared across your bum cheeks.

Well, I did say 'emergency' - as in last resort. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-10-2014, 12:09 PM
I have found that they are very good at absorbing water (and urine too) and they form interesting shapes when frozen.

[Image: 19pbi8.jpg]
[Image: 2uemcrl.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2014, 12:35 PM
I think Rocky Racoon would be the guy to ask. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
05-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Use them as kindling. It would be the most useful purpose they ever had.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!