Do Gideon bibles make good kindling?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: Do Gideon bibles make good kindling?
Bible makes great rolling papers.

Not that I'd know.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Aha! I think I have it.

I just need to bring some wood glue with me whenever I stay at a hotel room. Squeeze some between the covers, squish it down and put it back in the drawer.

That would be far better than having a soaking wet book in the drawer alerting the cleaners by giving off a musty smell. Also any Gideons that come round might not check too closely to see if the book can be opened.

Of course if they do and see it's stuck together with some sticky white substance then it will disturb them even more!
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
06-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I haven't really thought about their suitability for kindling.

When I have access to Gideon Bibles I usually have other things on my mind. Angel

[Image: PlacedbytheGideonscropped_zps896b30e4.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
06-10-2014, 10:43 AM
(06-10-2014 10:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I always take them. Yeah, I'm mean that way.

Oh, the last hotel we stayed at had a copy of Qur'an and Hindi book too...Score for me...

We had two rooms, so that was like 6 books....

I tossed them into the trash.

I've been finding the Book of Mormons in hotel rooms lately. I haven't checked on the quality of the paper but I think it too could be used for various paper mache projects.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(06-10-2014 09:11 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  DLJ's photos are interesting though. I might just soak the bible and then stand on it to squish the pages together and the next day put it back in the drawer.

I could always ejaculate on one for you next time we're in a hotel.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
(06-10-2014 12:16 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 09:11 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  DLJ's photos are interesting though. I might just soak the bible and then stand on it to squish the pages together and the next day put it back in the drawer.

I could always ejaculate on one for you next time we're in a hotel.

It would certainly save weight on wood glue.

Which section though? Leviticus?
06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Most books would make good kindling. I would not do it, since I think book burning is a bad thing, even if I do not like what is in them.
06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't know about the carcinogens but, if you spent anytime incarcerated, you would know that the pages without ink are used for rolling papers. Additionally, the regular printed pages are good for starting microwave fires.
06-10-2014, 04:49 PM
(06-10-2014 12:23 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 12:16 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  I could always ejaculate on one for you next time we're in a hotel.

It would certainly save weight on wood glue.

Which section though? Leviticus?

Genesis 38.
06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
(05-10-2014 11:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  We're about to install a wood burning stove. We don't have any free newspapers delivered to our new house. We've only just managed to stop the Postman from incinerating our mail because for the last few years there hasn't been any post box to put stuff into. Knowing how much junk mail was delivered in our last flat I'm not going to inform anyone else that we now have a post box.

So I naturally thought of Gideon bibles as an alternative. My main worry though is that I want to be able to put wood ash back in the garden which I will be using to grow fruit and vegetables and I wouldn't want to burn anything that contained too many chemicals. It's the same concern with burning printed cardboard packaging and newspapers though. So the main concern for burning a Gideon bible is the thickness of the pages, whether any nasty glue is used in the binding and whether the covers are plastic based.

My brother once told me over the phone that he helps distribute Gideon bibles and I would like to do my bit in making the world a better place by removing them where possible (I used to just underline all the unpleasant passages but that seems kind of time-consuming and pointless).

I see religion as something akin to a parasitic infection. I am also well aware how society is driven by economics and if we all started to remove Gideon bibles then we might help stymie the spread of Christianity considering that each bible is actually rather good quality. Apparently each Gideon bible costs about 5 dollars, has a 6 year life expectancy and is expected to be available to about 2,300 people.

I wouldn't want to fill landfill sites up further, but putting Gideon bibles to use as kindling sounds like a good plan to me. Unless anyone can think of better uses?

they burn even better if you stack them up on top of a copy of the qu'ran.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post