Do I Even Dare?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Do I Even Dare?
Ah facebook again - the place where the relative anonymity of the internet might bring out things that people might not say in person, but also the place where the anonymity actually goes out the window and you know who's saying something, and you question whether or not you want to actually know some people.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, it does in my head.

The prompt of that is a friend I have on facebook. We met through a softball league, and we are about to start playing again in the spring. Turns out he's quite the religious right-winger, and while we get along fine in person (where we've never spoke of politics or religion) he irritates me on a regular basis through facebook. His online persona seems to be one of masked passive-aggressive instigator with a slight persecution complex (sound familiar to anyone?). We had a little back and forth once regarding Tim Tebow that began with a link he posted to an opinion piece from Fox News - the upshot of the article was that if Tim Tebow were a Muslim, there's no way that other players would get away with "mocking" him. My overall response was that it was a moot point, because Tebow's not a Muslim, Islam is not the majority religious position in the United States, and the whole thing was a bunch of mock-indignation and pure speculation.

ANYWAY, in case all that was tl;dr, here's this morning's post:

Quote:For those of you that went to church this morning, give thanks to God that you weren't blown up by Islamic terrorists on the way out. And pray for the people in Nigeria who were. Interesting how you don't frequently see Methodists bombing people attending services at a mosque. I wonder what that's all about.

Followed a few comments later by:

Quote:The difference is that when Christians strictly follow Jesus' teachings, they feed the hungry, cloth the naked, and look after orphans and widows. When Muslims strictly follow Muhammad's teachings, they make women secondary citizens and make war with infidels. Christians who do violence in the name of Christianity are not following Christ. Not once did He say to harm anyone. Not the case with Muhammad.

Honestly, I haven't followed the news as of late. I have no idea what's going on in Nigeria. I can guess that it's horrible, and that yes, if some sort of Islamic terrorism is involved, it should be condemned and stopped. However, to claim that Jesus never said to harm anyone is false - see Luke 19:27 "But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me." Not to mention that if you believe Yahweh and Jesus are the same being - then Jesus actually wrote the Old Testament too, in which all manner of evil acts were commanded. Give me a break.

This sort of black and white thinking, coupled with the "nyah, nyah, my religion is better than yours" stuff is just - infuriating.

Do I bother to respond, or just let it go? Would I be better off blocking this person's posts and just play softball? I understand that ultimately it's up to me, but well, I thought I'd share.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2012, 12:02 PM
RE: Do I Even Dare?
(26-02-2012 11:53 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Do I bother to respond, or just let it go? Would I be better off blocking this person's posts and just play softball? I understand that ultimately it's up to me, but well, I thought I'd share.

Play softball.

Facebook drama is treated more seriously than face-to-face drama, because it is written down (typed, whatever). Saying something to a person can be taken back. Once you type, write post, it's out there. When it comes to religion on facebook, I just ignore it. Let them do what they are going to do. Trying to debate with someone on their facebook wall today is equal to leaving a burning paper bag of feces on a porch and ringing the doorbell.

Good luck with your decision.

Peace.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 2 users Like AmishLatinJew's post
26-02-2012, 02:28 PM
And you've just reinforced my reasoning for leaving Facebook.

Probably what I would do...after hiding this person from your news feed, is type out the vitriolic response that you really want to say. Then when you're done, hit delete, and like ALJ recommended, go play softball. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. The urge to reply has pretty much faded. But yeah, I might have to hide his posts. Smile

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
26-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Go to his page, click on the "subscribed" button, and unsubscribe from everything. Then you won't have to see any of his posts, he sees you still as friend, and you can still play softball.

I do that with people who annoy me with their posts but with whom I have to do business.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-02-2012, 05:11 PM
They understand that the god Muslims worship is in princable, the same god they worship, yes?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I can't quit Facebook - it's my muse, my source for inspiration.

I have several friends like your softball compadre - you don't live in New Mexico do you? We might have a friend in common Wink

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/02/...nsive.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
26-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Just like my grandfather always used to say, never mix politics, religion and softball on Facebook.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
26-02-2012, 09:46 PM
(26-02-2012 11:53 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  However, to claim that Jesus never said to harm anyone is false - see Luke 19:27 "But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."

I'm going to derail a bit to bring up a point. I hate when people cherry-pick from the Bible. And it doesn't matter if it's a Christian doing it or an Atheist doing it--seeing people deliberately take quotes out of context to validate their point irks me like Fox News.

That said, go read the parable Jesus was actually telling in that passage. It will and ought to piss you off, but for completely different and better reasons.
26-02-2012, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 10:24 PM by houseofcantor.)
(26-02-2012 11:53 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Ah facebook again...

One, two, ignore? Big Grin

Fuck facebook in the neck. Angel

Oops... lookie what came up on my facebook... http://www.whosay.com/gwynethpaltrow/pho...de=bka1ukI can't hate that. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user